“Great Beer Selection and Driver Watching”

Mussel Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Mussel Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 390 Restaurants in Bethesda
Cuisines: Belgian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Elm Street
Description: We serve mussels & frites, wood-fired tarts (Belgian pizzas) with seasonal toppings, grilled meats and fish, salads, soups, sandwiches. As your server about our daily specials, we mix it up! We also have the largest selection of craft and Belgian beers in Bethesda! Happy hour daily with great specials and $1 oysters.
Reviewed 26 August 2018 via mobile

Consistent food quality and service. The mussels are available with multiple sauce options all of which are very good. Not a huge menu but they have very good off menu specials. The beer selection is awesome and the wait staff seem well prepared to answer questions and recommend beer options. It is a bit pricey but comparable to other places in that area. Outdoor seating is available and good for people watching but note that some seats are literally inches away from parking spaces. Why is that an issue? Let’s just say the number of people driving in Bethesda who have no clue how to parallel park far outweighs those who do. Your not at huge risk but you may want to be alert just in case! I find that aspect entertaining.

Reviewed 23 August 2018

Everything about this place knocked me out! We arrived around 16:30 in the mood for drinks, but wanted a booth, so that's in the full-menu-service area. Started with oysters on the half-shell at @ $1/piece and the first dozen was so good, went for a second dozen. As the space around us started filling up and we saw the full entres rolling out, decided to do the same. I had the mussels (with wild mushrooms and bacon) and it was fabulous. My ex-wife had a "big salad" with salmon, equally delicious. BTW, the drinks were also fabulous. I had the old fashioned, from specialty cocktails menu, and it was one of the best I've ever had. I plan to return, and often.

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Dinner at mussel bar with my wife Saturday. First off the tables are ridiculously small. Trying to put any entree on them was difficult. Our waitress knocked a glass off the table because it was so close to the edge. That said the food was very good. Pretty expensive but it is Bethesda. I had oysters to start, blue points (you have a choice) well presented, nicely shucked. Then the mussels, nicely presented in a hot iron pan hat kept the meal warm. Plenty of mussels, lots of sausage and other good bits. The fries that accompanied them were delicious.

Reviewed 18 August 2018

Thought I'd try their restaurant week menu. The offering was rather slim. Better go there on a "regular" time.

Had the lobster bisque which I didn't like at all. It was on the spicy side and didn't really agree with me. The trout was very fresh and well done, however.

Service was rather perfunctory this time. My favorite servers were not there.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

We have grabbed a meal at Mussel Bar & Grille in Bethesda many times, and we are always consistently pleased with the experience. We always make a reservation, and especially on weekends that is advisable. The mussels, as you might expect, are always a standout. This time we had the Portuguese preparation, deilcious. Still, the portion size is large and as a result we often share. Their other offerings are also worth a look like the chargrilled calamari and the charcuterie & cheese board.

They have a large and inviting list of wines and beers, and a festive atmosphere regardless of the season. The noise level is what you might expect for a bar/restaurant so just be aware. Service is always solid, and we never feel rushed, as you sometimes can in this type of setting.

We'll definitely make a return visit sometime soon!