“Best Vacation Ever”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Sea Bass Cottage

The Main House rental / sleeps six
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
The Main House rental / sleeps six
kitchen in the maine house rental
six burner Viking stove in the main house
kitchen pantrymain house
diningroom main house rental
diningroom and hutch main house
livingroom with fireplace main house rental
den in the main house
den
bedroom in the main house /queen bed
bedroom main house
Ocean Cove - walking distance
stone walkways
Pond walking distance
nearby harbor
harbor walking distance
nearby cliff walk
back outdoor entrance to carriage house
outdoor patio
perennial gardens
outdoor garden seating
angel garden
Ocean Cove - walking distance
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Best Vacation Ever”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

My wife and I have vacationed at dozens of rentals in the past decade but we were so happy we chose Sea Bass Cottage rental this year.. It was the best thing we ever did. As soon as we pulled up to the rental we were amazed by the size compared to the other rentals we looked at. Actually, the first thing that got our attention were the gardens. We thought we entered a garden park.The flower gardens are incredible and the home owner does all the gardening herself. She has a hidden talent. The inside of the house is incredibly spacious and the most beautiful kitchen we have ever come across. By far the best stocked kitchen we have ever rented.. The rest of the house exudes charm. The furniture is beautiful and everything is decorated to the max. I wish I owned this house. Also one of the cleanest houses we have ever rented. The home owners left dozens of brochures of area attractions and spent much time with us informing us of things to do. She gave us a delightful tour of the house and propery gardens.
My wife and I were impressed by all the nearby restaurants and shops and other surrounding towns. This rental house is in an ideal private location but yet not far from activities and attractions. The property is quiet and peaceful and you can hear and smell the ocean. The home owners do live on site but you would never know it. They are quiet are rarely seen. This is what I call the perfect New England home

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: cleanlinss, charm and spaciousness of the house
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
8 Feb 2015
Thank You so much. It was such a pleasure having you stay at Sea Bass Cottage!
Warm regards,
Catherine
AnHonestL...
London, United Kingdom
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed 10 October 2011 for a stay in April 2011
people found this review helpful

The cottage is spacious and well kept, as are the gardens. The kitchen is well stocked with everything you might need. The cottage is well situated on a quiet road in rural surroundings and the gardens are peaceful. The two bedrooms and bathrooms are clean and spacious; plenty of room to hang clothes in the bedrooms and ample space to swing towels in the bathrooms. The problem we had was with the bedrooms. In order to sleep our Daughter and Son, who are grown teenagers, we had to keep making up the bed settee in the 'den' as there are only two bedrooms. This might have been OK for a night or two but became tedious after a fortnight plus; it wasn't that comfortable. The advertisement should stipulate that although it can sleep six; this is made up by 3 x double beds. I suppose we could have left the bed-settee 'made-up' but this room is where the TV is, and it's not very nice to sit in day clothes on a made up bed.
I do realise that each house has to have 'rules' but did find the lengthy list a little off-putting. Would have loved to have lit the fire but the list advised us not to as there is a crack in the chimney. The house does have heating in it. The list also advises not to let the cat in the house which is difficult when you can hear it wining at a door in the kitchen (the door leads down stairs into the basement where the washer/drier is) or when it sits outside the patio door staring at you - bless him/her.
Watch the mini bannister at the bottom of the stairs; it looks as though it's ready to come away from the wall.
I've learned that I don't like to stay in a property where the owner also resides; albeit in another 'wing' . Although we didn't see or hear her many times; it did make us feel a little uneasy; specifically when we invited guests round; not that we were intending to throw any wild parties by the way! I cant say that communicating with her prior to the stay was easy either; she often did not respond to my emails, which left me feeling vulnerable as I had already transferred funds as a deposit.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Location
Liked least: The fact that the owner lives in the same property
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
8 Feb 2015
It is explained very clearly in the website that in addition to the two bed rooms that the third bed room is in a separate private den with pull out sofa. If you bothered reading the description of the house you would not have missed this. I also explained that the chimney was temporarily out of service for a week . It was also 75 degrees and I can't see why a fire would have been needed. It also states in the description that the homeowner lives on site. I also stated this verbally before you rented. The main point is that the important aspects were perfect like my house being meticulously clean and a well stocked kitchen and beautifully decorated house that is spacious etc..
blackflys...
Puerto Vallarta
“All in All, not recommanded”
Reviewed 1 June 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

Generally, this cottage is nice and there are plenty of things to do around York: the Ogunguit beaches, the Kittery outlets, the Agamenticus mountain, etc.. One of the rooms is huge and has a private bathroom. The other room is also OK. If you are more than four people, any additional person will have to sleep in the den and should not expect privacy or comfort. The kitchen and dining room are very convenient, ideal for families with kids.
However, in other respects, we were very disappointed. We would have liked to be informed in advance that some of us would sleep in the den and that the owner would be present in an adjacent house for the duration of our stay (she lives in an apartment located above the garage and there is a skywalk between her apartment and the house). It is not that we had anything to hide, but we would have liked some more intimacy given the price that we have paid. We often heard the owner’s steps very early in the morning, as well as her telephone conversations. Also, we had some trouble with the owner to obtain internet access during the first day. We were also surprised that the owner sent us dissatisfaction emails from the owner because we checked in late (pretending that she waited for us and had to miss work for that reason), even if we sent emails to notify her in advance. We think she should think about other arrangements other that waiting on the premises, just to leave a key.
Perhaps our expectations were high, based on the information made available by the owner of the cottage, both on this website and other websites. To sum up, we would not recommend this place unless you are very quiet, retired people, who are looking for a place to rest for a week. It is just not worth the price that we have paid.

Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
8 Feb 2015
It is stated clearly on the website that the third sleeping area is in the den with pull out sofa. I also explained this verbally on the phone as well as stating that I live on site. I gave the renters an exceptionally generous check in time between 2-6 pm. For the renters to arrive at 7pm was extremely inconsiderate to me. They did not even bother to give a phone call to say they were arriving late.
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2010 for a stay in July 2010
person found this review helpful

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 65+
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Maine
Reviewed 29 May 2010 for a stay in May 2010

Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
8 Feb 2015
Thank you for your kind words. I hope to see the two of you back.
Sincerely, Catherine
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday home? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing