“I wanted to like you!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

Oh, Gather. You are close and your decor and open kitchen are great, so I want to like you. I keep trying you in the hopes you will change, but alas. Your service is terrible and the food is hit or miss (but mostly miss lately). Everything lacks flavor!

We last came on a Tuesday night at 5:30 with two little kids. Place wasn't crowded at all yet it took 10 minutes to take our drink order and a full 45 minutes to deliver a burger, a salad, and two kids' pasta plates. The burger was ok. The salad was ok. The pasta was terrible. I thought my kids were being picky eaters but nope--the mac'n'cheese tasted like it had been bathed in Crisco and there was zero cheese flavor.

Before that we last came in for brunch. We had a 10:30 reservation but weren't seated until 10:45. Drink orders weren't taken until 11, at which point we also gave our food orders bc who knew when we'd see our waitress again?? Our party of six ordered variations on eggs, toast, bacon, etc. Nothing complicated. By 11:45 we were all antsy and hungry, especially the 2 toddlers, and my husband sought out the manager to ask if maybe there had been a hiccup? Manager basically shrugged and said they were plating our food now. No apology or acknowledgment that 45 min for scrambled eggs is absurd. Food did not hit our table until NOON. My eggs were steaming hot but my hash browns were cold to the touch. Ick.

Oh Gather. I'm done. I just can't with you anymore and the next time anyone suggests you I will firmly but politely suggest we eat anywhere else.

Also, can I just ask: WHY no changing table?!! You have a kids area and clearly cater to families with toddlers and young ones, yet you make us squat on the floor or go out to our cars to change them? Just one more frustration.

2  Thank Jo H

Reviewed 7 May 2017

We were starving after leaving Portland and didn't know the area. By chance, Gather appeared and we were lucky to find it. There was live entertainment, a bluegrass duo, that was perfect for the setting. The food was good and the service was friendly and gracious. Gather obviously attempts to use locally grown ingredients and strives to prepare food that is wholesome and tasty.

Gathermaine, Owner at Gather, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2017

Hi Michael,
We are glad you discovered us and enjoyed your meal. Hope to see you again on your next trip through the area.
Matt

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

I have been wanting to try this place for a while now. I am a local and I remember when the space was Clayton's. Beautiful space still beautiful. However-too dark! Could barely read the menu! I was there with some friends on a recent Thursday night. The bar was full and people looked like they were having a good time. We sat in a booth. I had the fish tacos and they were OK. My friends had the salmon and the duck and they were both very pleased. I have to say the wine portions were small and the price was high. Couldn't there be some sort of house wine that is a bit more reasonable? In fact the menu is quite pricey. Of course coming in March means there isn't much fresh local produce etc. available. I will definitely go back but please get some more lights!

1  Thank ChrisMVSS
Reviewed 21 February 2017

At a recent brunch, i can honestly say I've now had the Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Maine!! I would honestly come back for JUST these!!

We typically just eat dinner here - which is always fabulous and I would highly recommend but the hubs and I decided to switch it up a bit and visit for a brunch. I've now "gathered" (I know, corny) that all their meals are good. ALL. I love that their foods are locally sourced and their dining room and their service is very ... minimalist. Not bare, not cozy, not lacking in any way.... just VERY comfortable, well appointed. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Having recently moved to the area, we had been keen to try this place. We went as a family for an evening meal, and were impressed with the cozy atmosphere that greeted us as we entered the place. The menu looked good, the waitress was friendly, and the restaurant was certainly popular - almost full by 1730.
What was astonishing was the fact it took 55 minutes for our order to arrive. When questioned as to what the problem was, our waitress had no particular explanation, and simply said that kind of time is pretty standard at Gather.
It seems like slow service has been a problem for over 2 years, given the other reviews. No pre-emptive apology, no complimentary drinks offered, no communication from the kitchen. Doesn't seem like the management are tackling the problem. A shame, as otherwise we enjoyed what Gather had to offer.

Gathermaine, Owner at Gather, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Hi Saaitken,
Thanks very much for your feedback and review. I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and friendliness, but certainly dissapointed about your frustrating wait and lack of response. We filled up all at once on this evening and the challenge is feeding everyone all at the same time. That said, we should, and can do a better job communicating with your table about any delays.
I do hope you are willing to give us another shot.
Thanks again for your helpful feedback.
Matt(owner)

Been to Gather? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK