“Finally!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

I have been wanting to try this place for a while now. I am a local and I remember when the space was Clayton's. Beautiful space still beautiful. However-too dark! Could barely read the menu! I was there with some friends on a recent Thursday night. The bar was full and people looked like they were having a good time. We sat in a booth. I had the fish tacos and they were OK. My friends had the salmon and the duck and they were both very pleased. I have to say the wine portions were small and the price was high. Couldn't there be some sort of house wine that is a bit more reasonable? In fact the menu is quite pricey. Of course coming in March means there isn't much fresh local produce etc. available. I will definitely go back but please get some more lights!

1  Thank ChrisMVSS

Reviewed 21 February 2017

At a recent brunch, i can honestly say I've now had the Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Maine!! I would honestly come back for JUST these!!

We typically just eat dinner here - which is always fabulous and I would highly recommend but the hubs and I decided to switch it up a bit and visit for a brunch. I've now "gathered" (I know, corny) that all their meals are good. ALL. I love that their foods are locally sourced and their dining room and their service is very ... minimalist. Not bare, not cozy, not lacking in any way.... just VERY comfortable, well appointed. I highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 January 2017

Having recently moved to the area, we had been keen to try this place. We went as a family for an evening meal, and were impressed with the cozy atmosphere that greeted us as we entered the place. The menu looked good, the waitress was friendly, and the restaurant was certainly popular - almost full by 1730.
What was astonishing was the fact it took 55 minutes for our order to arrive. When questioned as to what the problem was, our waitress had no particular explanation, and simply said that kind of time is pretty standard at Gather.
It seems like slow service has been a problem for over 2 years, given the other reviews. No pre-emptive apology, no complimentary drinks offered, no communication from the kitchen. Doesn't seem like the management are tackling the problem. A shame, as otherwise we enjoyed what Gather had to offer.

Gathermaine, Owner at Gather, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Hi Saaitken,
Thanks very much for your feedback and review. I'm glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and friendliness, but certainly dissapointed about your frustrating wait and lack of response. We filled up all at once on this evening and the challenge is feeding everyone all at the same time. That said, we should, and can do a better job communicating with your table about any delays.
I do hope you are willing to give us another shot.
Thanks again for your helpful feedback.
Matt(owner)

Reviewed 21 January 2017

Been to a few breakfasts, lunches and a dinner and dance. The ambience is terrific, warm, nicely designed. It feels homey, yet open and inviting to visit with other diners. The long table in the center is perfect for big groups. The owner makes his rounds and makes you feel at home. Food was great and I liked that they used local farms and suppliers. The only drawback was that at a very busy times (brunches) there was longer wait for food. When it arrived though it was quite good!

Reviewed 1 January 2017

I've been to Gather a few times.. I enjoy their menu and specials, always with a bit of a spin on dishes and new tastes. I was there last night for dinner, and previous experiences just repeat themselves. We waited a very long time for our food to arrive that was lukewarm at best; with concert tickets in Portland no time to waste sending back. In addition our waiter just never checked on us, no offer to refill drinks or updates on our food. My meal was tasty, just would have a more enjoyable evening with better service that does not seem to have changed. Too bad, great environment and location.

1  Thank Northportgal
Gathermaine, Owner at Gather, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2017

Hi Northportgal,
Thanks very much for your review and helpful feedback. I'm glad you enjoy the menu and specials, and I hear your frustration about lukewarm food and inattentive service. We have and will continue working on improving in these areas. Your feedback helps that process. Thanks again.
Matt (owner)

Been to Gather? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK