“Great value for the price” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Portland/Westbrook Area

Super 8 Portland/Westbrook Area
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Westbrook
Forest Hills, New York
“Great value for the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

This is consistently one of the cheapest places to stay in the Portland area. Rental car or other vehicle is a must, as taxis are quite expensive. But anyway I stayed here in August. Back in June I stayed at the nearby Howard Johnson and that was nice. The Super 8 chain is supposed to be slightly a step down below HoJo from what I understand (since it's the same parent company, Wyndham), but I liked the Super 8 a lot better. The breakfast is great, considering it's free.

The rooms are pretty good. Beds are comfortable, sheets are clean and everything. Sure, the room might not be spotless (especially the bathroom) but you shouldn't seriously expect 5-star quality at a 2-star motel. I stayed in a double room the first night and a king bed room the second night. The king bed was nicer and that room had a recliner and a fridge.

The staff here are phenomenal. I had booked the rooms on two different websites, so I had to sort of check out and re-check in; but during breakfast I asked and by 10:30 they called me in my room to say the new room was ready. They also bake cookies daily and have them at the front desk, although usually they run out around 9pm (as I learned the hard way last time). Breakfast starts at 5 or 6 I think, so if you're on an early morning flight you're almost out of luck -- there's a 24/7 Burger King right next door. Nonetheless, this was one thing I liked about the Super 8 -- the HoJo had a restaurant and a Friendly's, so no free breakfast (you got a substantial (20-30%) discount with your room key). A free breakfast is always better than a free-ish one ;)

The parking lot goes around the entire property, so you're able to park close to your room. I didn't go in the pool but you can see it from outside (huge windows -- which might be sorta creepy but I'm sure it's nice when it's a nice day out). It was large enough for several small parties to have enough space. Looked like a nice facility although you could smell the chlorine in the hall immediately outside of the pool area.

Overall, I think this place is a winner. Don't go in expecting too much and you will be pleased. I'm heading back to Portland in a few weeks and with all the promos that Wyndham Rewards is having, as well as the quality and value of this facility, I wouldn't consider staying anyplace else.

Room Tip: King Bed rooms are nicer; mine had a recliner and a fridge. Also, the ends of the hallways are wher...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

We stayed at this motel 2 nights in mid-September. The essentials of the room were equal to what we had paid about double for the night before in the suburbs of Boston. The free breakfast menu exceeded in variety and prearation all others we had throughout our 16 day vacation in New England and Maine. Being able to park near the room and the provision of breakfast made early morning departures easy.
The staff memebers were friendly, ready to be of service. They run a very good operation.

Room Tip: Corner rooms risk less disturbing noises from other rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Robert O
Bethlehem Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Stayed here to be close to airport for an early morning flight. Decent place for the price. Room was obvisously a smoking room and was kind of stinky because of the stale smoke. A bit noisey with dogs barking in rooms down the hall everytime someone walked by their door. AC works great as the room was almost too cold when we checked in. Beds were comfy. All in all you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke ask for a non-smoking room or you won't like the smell.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Stepho23o
Farmington, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

There was shaving stubble on my bathroom sink, pubic/body hair on the floor near shower, and that's not even the worst part! There was feces splatter on the back of the toilet, not only on the rim and bowl but on the seat it's self!
I was told I could check in at 3pm, we had to wait around until 5 because the room hadn't been cleaned?! This is inexcusable! There was no way this could have been oversight!
I phoned the desk 4 times with no answer, and had a ball game to go to so I would tell them at the front desk; there was no one to be found on our way out.
Needless to say we threw the blankets on the floor (they looked clean, but who knows at this point) and didn't use the bathroom at all!! When I saw a house keeper in the hall and told the condition of my room they said "Huh?!" and continued what they were doing...
The older woman doing the continental breakfast was rude, and snapped at a woman and a child..
My friend told the front desk what had happened with everything, and they just said "Sorry about that..."
Will never use a super 8 again!

Room Tip: Go Elsewhere!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Westbrook hotels

Farmingdale, ME
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here for the night so that we could get to the airport the next morning. It was also the night of my wedding, I understand wanting to save some money but now my honeymoon is tainted by staying in this dingy, semi dirty room. Honestly I could not get comfortable, it was passable but I would spend an extra forty dollars to stay in a clean room, and updated room! I will not go back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Westbrook
0.2 km away
#2 of 12 in South Portland
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,192 reviews
3.8 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport

Been to Super 8 Portland/Westbrook Area? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK