Tidewater Motel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Vinalhaven
See available hotels
Boyce s Motel(Stonington)
Tucka-Nuck Lodge(Matinicus)
Trade Winds Inn(Rockland)
Island View Inn(Rockport)
View Hotel
All reviewslobster boatsowner philrushing watertrue mainethe crow's nestreception areafirst floora special placeone night staylobster rollprivate balconya great place to stayshort walk from the ferrytidewaterdeckkeypreserve
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2009

There is a ferry ride that takes 1 & 1/4 hours to get to Vinalhaven but the trip is so worth it. The rooms all have balconies over the water where the tides come in and go out. Because of this the rooms are very cool, even in July and watching the tides from our balcony was wonderful. I highly recommend this clean, neat motel. It is no frills but the rooms are clean and they have TV's and the balconies make the whole thing a wonderful experience. We will be back.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lbmgator
Reviewed 8 July 2008

Our trip to Vinalhaven and our stay at the Tidwater Inn were so enjoyable.

The room we stayed in was on the first floor, with a balcony directly overlooking the rushing tide below. It was a sight to see, something I'll never forget. Our room was very clean and spacious, with a mini-refrigerator and a nice-sized balcony. Continental breakfast was included. Overall, this room was the best value of our entire week in Maine.

Phil and the staff were very friendly. I did buy the book that he wrote, and the parts that I have read are pretty interesting/funny.

I can't say enough about the island, the people, the food (good restaurants), and the overally experience. I would be lucky to go be able to go back there!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank radio77
Reviewed 2 July 2008

We are Maine natives who live in Kennebunkport, Maine. What a pleasure to find a spot in Maine that reminds us of how Maine used to be when we were growing up. Vinalhaven is an honest touch of the Maine people come to see: a large lobster industry, lovely island, the sound of the fog horn on foggy days and locals who say hello to you on the street. This is Vinalhaven.
The Tidewater is the place to stay while on the island. It is perfectly situated, has an amazing view and clean, pretty rooms. They offer bikes for tourning the island and kayak rentals. Pretty much everything is taken care of. We liked it alot.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mainehatty
Reviewed 2 November 2007

We have fallen in love with Maine but had never visited any of the islands and wanted to experience the state in all its real wonderfulness...We chose Vinalhaven because it was a bit more rugged and remote than some of the others. So glad we did - it's beautiful, and even the ferry ride (on a particularly bad day, with 10' waves) was brilliant, felt like we were venturing into the beyond! I'm actually quite glad it wasn't sunny and we were out of season as it meant we seemed to have a tourist-less island and when we walked on Lane's Island it was like something out of Wuthering Heights. Very good for the soul.

We'd been in touch with Phil who runs the motel explaining that it was our wedding anniversary and we wanted a private, romantic room. He gave us the Crows Nest which is the other side of the motel and on the top floor. It had a great view of the harbour and the wind roaring around us made it very atmospheric. All the staff had signed a card and left a half bottle of wine in an ice bucket for us which was very kind. The room is basic but spacious, there's a coffee maker, and an ensuite shower/WC. All very adequate. Downstairs is a communal sitting room with loads of magazines and books.

The tiny lobby, which is usually unmanned, has an 'honesty' area for guests to pick up coffee, cereal etc. There's also a shop next door (I think they own it too?) which does wine, sandwiches, can make up picnics etc.

We got Phil to sign a copy of his book 'Away Happens' which we strongly recommend to anyone wanting to understand the Maine psyche - it's hilarious!

Vinalhaven has now become one of my top five favourite places; genuinely loved it, and the motel's location and the owners make it the perfect place to stay. I have the distinct feeling we'll be back.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank hells1908
Reviewed 24 August 2007

This was a working trip for me, so it was great that the quirky arrangements necessary to get a car to the island on the ferry were taken care of by the staff at the Tidewater. It was also a pleasure to get to the Tidewater and have Ariel greet me at the desk. She helped me with my bag up to the 3rd floor where I had a lovely room with a deck overlooking the cove. The quiet (no phone in the room and no cell service on the island at all) was a pleasure. There is a small wine store in the motel with a nice selection of wine and beer along with cheeses and spreads. One night I made that my dinner on the deck while I watched the tide come in and the sun go down. Along with the sounds of the gulls and the boats, this was just the thing this city girl needed to decompress. I wish all of my business trips could be like this! Many thanks to Phil and everyone at the Tidewater!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business