“Very pleasant stay, comfortable room, friendly Front Desk”

Hampton Inn Portland Airport
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I stayed two nights over a weekend at the Hampton Inn in South Portland Maine during a quick January trip to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. As a Floridian who is terrified of winter roads, I chose this location for its proximity to both the airport and the mall. I had intended to use their airport shuttle, but got a rental car instead.

Check-in was quick and painless. I had pre-paid my stay in a room with a king size bed. I was traveling alone, but for some reason was given two keys. Greeting was warm and friendly.

Room was fresh, clean and pleasant. Front desk asked me what floor I wanted, but I couldn't imagine why that would matter. He offered a higher (4th) floor in a quiet location and I told him that was perfect. My view was of the mall - JCPenney where I ended up spending my little free time.

Hampton Inn offers a complimentary breakfast buffet which was pretty good. Each of the two mornings included some protein (particularly important to me); first day was egg & sausage and second day was a western omelette. I enjoyed the first more than the second, but at least there was some protein. Breakfast also included breads, cereals, yogurt, oatmeal, waffle maker, juice and some (not too appetizing) fruit. I think the coffee station was always open and I really enjoyed that.

Room included WiFi which I used a lot - with great success. I did see a guest access computer near the lobby. Hotel offers an indoor pool and fitness center, but I didn't have a chance to even see either of them. Parking was adequate, but not particularly convenient. The parking lot more or less wrapped around the building, but there was a guest entrance only on the front and back.

Climate control in the room was adjustable by specific degree, but temp seemed to vary a lot (wasn't as stable as I like).

Bed was very comfortable with two wonderful pillows and two others I didn't care for - it was nice to have the variety. Room had a flyer indicating that comforter is laundered between guests, which is AWESOME. But the filling of it was quite "bunched up" like it had been washed many times. I would strongly prefer a blanket and bedspread. The comforter was either on or off during the night and with the room temp getting too cold, then getting too warm as the heater cycled on and off, I would have been much more comfortable with a blanket (and they also wash better than a comforter). Despite this nuisance, I slept well.

Bathroom was likewise clean and fresh. Temperature control in shower was awesome. Towels were nice quality although the bath towel was a little small.

TV offered more stations than the majority of hotels I've stayed in. Maid service was fine - timing was perfect as it allowed me a late start both days. When I got ice from the machine down the hall, I was surprised to be joined by a guest with a dog in her arms (not sure how they deal with a dog when traveling, but glad it wasn't me).

This was a trip to a family party and I booked the room to have my own space and come & go as I pleased. Location near mall and airport worked very well. I wouldn't hesitate to return!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank GottaLuvCruising
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Our room was reasonable, had plenty of towels (which is a great relief compared to other similarly priced hotels), nice staff, good breakfast. Only negatives were carpet was slightly worn and you could hear road traffic.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank debbymaniac
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Was just staying overnight before a flight, but was very pleaded. At 5 the put out cookies and even a crockpot of soup! Soup was probably Campbells but it was nice to have on a cold night.

Upon leaving, breakfast was already being set up at 420a! This was great as I could have a hot chocolate and a danish before my flight.

Would stay again if needed. Plus, having a mall in the adjacent parking lot is a bonus!

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank gphibalum
Reviewed 10 January 2012

great location, clean modern rooms, great check in experince, 24hr coffee!! and waffles in the morning!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2011

It was amazing for the price and it included breakfast, indoor pool, jaccuzi and cookies at night!!! Plus it was so close to the mall... right accross the street.

One bad thing- house keeping knocked on our door at 8:30 in the morning (we were sleeping in) and she woke us up... not cool, but we saw her in the hall later and she was very sorry. The desk staff was nothing to rave about

$$$$$$ Money and quality is totally worth the trip.

We will definatley go back!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
0.8 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Portland
1.1 km away
Fairfield Inn Portland Maine Mall

Been to Hampton Inn Portland Airport? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK