“Great for a chain”

On the Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Ranked #68 of 158 Restaurants in South Portland
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Every day at 8 a.m., we start chopping veggies, soaking beans, and prepping our mesquite-fired grill. Not because we have to, but because we believe in delicious flavors made-to-order, from hand-rolled enchiladas to our sizzling fajitas to guacamole made right at your table. Everything pairs nicely with a grande margarita, and of course, enjoy the always endless chips and salsa.
Reviewed 22 May 2017

I am not sure why this chain is not more popular. Very good tex-mex food even if it isn't authentic Mexican. The tortillas are made by hand (unless they are just putting on a show and making a select few by hand).

Date of visit: May 2017

Reviewed 29 April 2017

As far as Tex-Mex goes, this is the chain I always choose. Friendly service, a staff that is always willing to go the extra step, and the best tasting chicken fajitas I can find! Plus I know that I will leave full for less than $40.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

The building is old and tired which matches the customer service. That is not to say the people are not nice, they actually are. However the customer service is poor. The place is in need of a sprucing up as the seats are worn out and everything appears rundown and falling apart. My wife ordered a salad and it was nothing as advertised on the menu. Service times were slow as well and no one thanked us or acknowledged us when we were leaving.
On a positive note, our server was very nice and pleasant and the chips and salsa were yummy.
Overall, I'm not sure how long it will be before we go back:(

Reviewed 9 April 2017

This used to be one of my favorite places to go....not anymore, I won't go back again. The food is terrible. Hamburg is runny and gross. They give you a huge basket of chips and a tiny bowl with hardly any salsa in it so you have to keep asking for more. The waiter was nice, the bar is nice but the good is disgusting!!

Reviewed 2 March 2017

I went to On the Border with two of my girlfriend's last saturday. We sat in the bar at a hightop. The bartender clearly saw i walk in and seat ourselves. I think it took her 10 min to come to our table with a crappy attitude. (The bar was not packed and We arrived at the same time as another party seated behind us) She took our drink order and came back probably 10 min later with them and chip/salsa. We then proceeded to wait another 15 min for her to come back to take our order. This is where it goes from bad to worse. A few people came in well after our arrival and sat at the bar and ordered their drinks and meals and received them before us and left before we got our meal. As well as the people seated behind us!!! I went to the front to find someone to speak to and that took a few min and she was not helpful at all. She told us our food was being plated at that moment by our waitress. Since when do waitresses plate food? No apology and told me I should speak to a manager because she wasn't??? OK, then get us a manager. NOPE. We flagged one down a few min later and he said I'll ck on your order and quickly left. HMMM. About 10 min later our waitress finally delivers our food with no apology for the wait or even an attempt at an excuse. I mean c'mon give us a weak excuse or something. As she was leaving she said the manager would compensate us and left. We got our bill and he took off $5.00 off each of our meals!!! Really. Once again no one acknowledged the complete incompetence of the waitress and hostess and the manager.

We leave the restaurant and i text a friend to tell them about the terrible experience we had at ON the Border in South Portland. She immediately text me back and say's was the waitresses name Elizabeth?!!!! Are you kidding me I say. Yes that was our waitress. How'd you know. Well because she has been there on a few occasions and received the same service from that waitress. How does she still have a job? She has a terrible attitude and worse service. Apparently that's how they roll at the South Portland On the Border wait staff and management. We will never ever go back there again.

Oh and there was a table a few seats down from us that the people had just finished their meal when we arrived that did not get cleared until we got our check! We were there for a total of 1.5 maybe more.

Date of visit: February 2017