“Assaulted by the cleaning staff”

Knights Inn South Portland
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in South Portland
“Assaulted by the cleaning staff”
Reviewed 15 July 2010

At the 3 in the morning and in need of some rest, my wife & I decided to lay our heads at this motel. It's over priced for the quality though our room was moderately clean.

Our real surprise came in the morning when the cleaning staff pounded on our door at 11:05am telling us it was checkout time. Checkout time is 11am, admittedly, and we had overslept. Most places will give you a bit of grace in checking out. But we hopped to it and showered. Standing in nothing but my towel, at 11:15am the cleaning staff pounded aggressively on the door and shouted "you have to leave." The two maids then unlocked the door and opened it. I told them we were just about ready and pushed back on the door. We tussled with the door for a moment as they screamed at me that "checkout was 11am -- you have to leave NOW." I managed to get the door closed.

When we departed the room, the two cleaning ladies were just finishing berating another couple to hit the road (they has also checked in at 3am). They gave us an interesting combo of the evil eye/staredown/you-just-killed-my-cat looks. Wow -- and we'd only run over checkout by 20 minutes!

I understand that these places need to turnaround rooms promptly but I was shocked that this motel leaves it's policy policing to it's aggressive cleaning staff who think nothing of unlocking guests' doors to scream at them.

The manager explained their behavior by saying one of them had an appointment.

Don't stay here.

3 Thank kmac445
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Springvale, Maine
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Looked for an inexpensive hotel for one night for business; found this hotel...NOT what I thought...didn't expect DIRTY walls, spiders in tub...vending area was locked in a different building...went to drop off key early (5:30AM), lobby was LOCKED...wanted a cheap hotel room, not a flop...for the rate I paid (AAA), I expected more...will be contacing AAA to inform them of condition.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank purplehuskermama

Travellers are raving about these South Portland hotels

maine
Reviewed 30 April 2009

we stayed here for one night on April 18 th on our MaineMall shopping and relaxing trip from
northern Maine ,But we were highly dissapointed by the treatment we got as a Senior citizen. we asked to help move to other room because the room we got was dirty and filthy.
The manager refused to move or to give refund.We totally were very unhappy about whole
episode.next time we are planning to stay in little bigger hotel with better service.
they advertised with Cont breakfast but there was only old cold coffee .
Nothing more say about this hotel please stay away with this Knights Inn.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank youngat57
vermont
Reviewed 19 April 2009

on my business trip to Portland i stayed one night in this motel ,as soon as i got in to my room i got big ? about everything because room was smelly with strong smoking odour and the sheets were never changed ,towels were discolored with some spots so i decided to leave the place but the owner said no refund after check in because i paid by cash .at this stage in this bad economy and being alone traveler i decided to adjust as soon as the lights turned off the night mare started with crawling bed bugs what can i do its middle of the night and cold out side i sat in the chair allnight and left 6 am in Am.
This was my worst and unforgettable experience .
if anybody wants to feel this experience you have to stay in this KNIGHTSINN Motel.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank jollyvermont
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 26 January 2009

I was looking for a cheap overnight near the lighthouses in South Portland. The Knights Inn was inexpensive, and had the amenities I wanted: Refrigerator, microwave oven, bed, and television. (Not sure if it has wireless, since I did not bring my laptop on this trip). IMHO, this is a step above the Rodeway Inn down the street, which is comparable but does not have a microwave oven in the room.

I had a good night's sleep and no complaints.

However, if you're looking for luxury or fancy amenities, this is probably not the place for you.

• Liked — Low price, 7-Eleven just a short walk away.
  • Disliked — Parking lot was not well plowed.
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank k1ckstand
Comfort Inn Airport
#6 of 13 in South Portland
6.9 km away
Fireside Inn & Suites Portland

Been to Knights Inn South Portland? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK