All reviews oysters comfortable beds walking distance only stayed one night scarborough area king room top floor wonderful stay lobster roll convenient location beachy surfers wedding emily noise bathtub sleeping
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

My husband and had a long weekend planned in Maine. I was anxious to show him places that were special to me growing up and one of those happy memories were trips to Higgins Beach with family. I booked the the first night of our stay at the Higgins Beach Inn with a special request. The guest services manager, Amanda, promptly called and we discussed my request. Amanda could not have been nicer or more accommodating. The morning we were to drive to Maine, I called the Inn because my GPS could not find the street address. Again got Amanda on the phone and we figured a work around (if you go, include Township with Scarborough and you may have to use 37 rather than 34 Ocean as we did). We arrived shortly after 3:30 and were shown to our room. The Inn was recently renovated and it is very charming, mixing the old architectural details with modern colors furnishings. Very well done and comfortable! And therein lies the rub. The original beautiful wood doors were used. Perfect in appearance but not so much in function. Sound traveled through and under the doors. You could hear every slam or even closing of door in our hall, as well as normal conversational volume in the hall and reception area. I had asked for accommodations away from noise, and that is what we received relatively speaking. We could hear the guests above us walking around, dropping things and closing doors. The Inn has a small bar area and a dining room, both surprising not as disturbing sound wise as you might think. I need to preface this by saying, I LOVE fish. I would eat fish 3 days a week if I could. I don't enjoy sleeping with the smell of cooked fish. All of this I shared with Amanda, because the Higgins Beach Inn is concerned about offering their guests the best possible experience, I truly believe that. If you book a stay (they will be closing for the winter shortly) here are some tips to making it a 5 star TripAdvisor experience:
If you are noise intolerant, book at a modern luxury hotel not an antique inn;
Pretend you are staying with your extended family at Grammie's house and you will have a ball!
Very nice staff in welcoming surroundings. Had we been prepared for these things, I know I would have rated Higgins Beach Inn higher.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NausetBum
Reviewed 26 September 2017

Spent one night and left. If you don't mind wood floors, slamming doors, kids running up and down the stairs it has some charm and close to beach. Beware though you can hear your neighbors snoring. Walls are paper thin. Food at Shade was good. Not worth the price.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 27 September 2017

Dear Sir/Madame

Thank you for your feedback, I am sad to hear your your experience with us was not the typical restful experience one usually has with us. It was the first time since we opened that we had a family staying with us for an extended period of time that left their children unsupervised and running around the halls as they were. It is really unfair to you and other guests. I wish I had an opportunity at the time to change your experience.
As for the noise level carrying, as most older homes, even with the renovations we are not able to completely eliminate all the nuances of an older building. The doors do have a heavy swing to them and we are looking to correct that this winter. I feel you had an unfortunate experience with us as you said and I can assure you it is not the norm.
I would love to give you an opportunity to stay with us again and have a restful nights sleep. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like.
207-883-6684

Sidonie Rodman

Reviewed 20 September 2017

Higgins Beach is a long, sandy, wonderful beach in a non-commercial location. I've been to the Higgins Beach Inn three times but this was the first time under the new management. Yes- there were some changes, but it was still welcoming and very comfortable to be there again. I had booked a very small room- thinking we would be out a lot walking and exploring the Scarborough area. The tailend of a hurricane was coming- so I mulled about an upgrade. Before I could even go downstairs and talk about a room change, the manager walked by with a key and told me to follow her. She opened room #20 and it was large and sunny. Perfect for reading if the rains came."Complimentary upgrade." Now that's service. The vacation kept unfolding that way: Low tide, many surfers, large waves, then the Cliff Walk, Winslow Homer's studio from the outside- all shrouded with fog and a very light mist. After dining at the Blue Spoon in Portland, it was wonderful to come back to our cozy inn.

Room Tip: When booking, ask about views. The walls are thin- so you can hear people if they talk in the hall.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 September 2017 via mobile

We were in South Portland for our nephews wedding. He suggested we stay here and we were glad he did. The Inn is in a great location just one block from the beach.

We had a king room on the top floor. Our room was spacious as was the bathroom. There were double sinks and a bathtub. Our bathroom door squeaked loudly but we were able to take care of it. The bed was comfortable and the linens very nice. The duvet however was much too heavy for us. We were too warm with it on and chilly without it. A lighter weight blanket would have been a nice addition. There was a small closet area but more hangers were needed. There was an iron but no board. There was only one drinking glass provided. These are all small items and easily remedied.

The staff were delightful and the full breakfast was very good. There were six or seven items that you could choose from.

The major negative was that we could hear every sound from the room next-door. Also, we could here every time a door closed.

We did enjoy our stay and would probably return.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We enjoyed our stay at this lovely inn. Great staff, comfortable rooms, great food for breakfast. Many family members stayed here for our daughter's wedding and really loved it! The staff was very accommodating and helpful. The Inn is so close to the ocean and we had great walks.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family