“Great food and service” 4 of 5 bubbles

Garofalo's Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 85 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Seafood, Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

Took my husband for Father's Day--excellent food. I'm a sucker for beets so the roasted beet salad was a must--among one of the best meals on our trip to Maine. The wait staff was enthusiastic and attentive. Yummy lobster appetizer served as my main course--everything done to perfection!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Oxford, Maine
“Interestingly Different Options Among Traditional Fare with Lovely Ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at Higgins Beach Inn for the weekend for my birthday. About 90 minutes drive from our home, we had never been there before, but wanted to get away from it all for a weekend and stay somewhere that had a nice restaurant on site.

The restaurant at this inn is upscale and open to the general public as well as handy for overnight guests. Our first evening, we had made a reservation for several of us as a birthday dinner party, with guests of all ages including a 6-year-old. White tablecoths, cloth napkins, beautiful dishes and excellent service added elegance to a comfortable casual relaxing atmosphere. The menu was diverse and accommodated a wide variety of tastes to meet everyone's preferences, including the small children. The portions were enormous. The wine menu was not large, but was ample. And they stirred up freshly made chocolate milk for the 6-year-old!

The menu included "meatballs from heaven or hell" which could be served as an appetizer or as a meal. "From hell" meatballs are hot and spicy with harbeneros and other peppers. My son, who loves hot peppers and grows various types in his indoor garden at home, tried these and found them to be sufficiently eye-watering as well as delicious! My husband, from Sicily, who loves traditional Italian foods, tried meatballs "from heaven" and was very satisfied. Although no one ordered pasta that evening, we noted that the menu stated that gluten-free pasta was available on request, a nice option for many who are restricting gluten from their diets. The vegetable of the evening was butternut squash, and it was evident that everything served was freshly grown and freshly cooked. Nothing coming out of Garolfalo's kitchen was canned or frozen. The various and eclectic salads were all a delight. The simple, but beautifully stated "BLT" salad, was a lettuce wedge with bleu cheese and prosciutto which my husband enoyed so much he ordered it 2 nights in a row while we were there. Diane's favorite salad, named for owner Diane, was a mixture of nuts and fruits. I am not a fan of walnuts myself, but members of our party who tried it said it was the salad from heaven. Among us, we tried just about every entree on the menu, and it would take too long to describe here, but everyone enjoyed everything! Short ribs to melt in your mouth, steak grilled to perfection, baked haddock with lemon basil rice and a creamy lobster sauce--oh yum.... and our 6-year-old granddaughter loved her mac n cheese and hamburger.

On to dessert, most were too stuffed from the enormous portions to indulge in dessert. But, I am a creme brulee fan, so I had to try the interestingly-different-sounding "lemon basil creme brulee". Here is where I have to say that lemon basil is much better as a flavor on rice than in creme brulee. Missed the mark there a bit for my taste. But a freshly made blueberry bread pudding with fresh Maine blueberries and whipped cream was to die for!

During the weekend, my husband and I also ate breakfast the following 2 mornings and one more dinner with just the 2 of us. We enoyed all these meals. In addition to the main dining room, the restaurant has tables on an enclosed cozy porch for a slighlty different ambiance.

The breakfast menu was also diverse and contained some unique items. Among the breakfast fare, 5 different "Eggs Benedicts" were offered, from the traditional to lobster benedict to an "Italian Benedict", which was grilled eggplant under a slice of very fresh tomato with a fresh basil leaf and perfectly poached eggs topped off by freshly made hollandaise. That was truly interestingly different, and I loved it! Garofalo's also makes their own corned beef hash, which was superb. Unlike the hash offered by most restaurants which is potato-laden with a small amount of corned beef flavoring, Garofalo's was primarily corned beef. My husband enjoyed an "Italian Scramble" which was an interesting mix of vegetables, herbs and Italian sausage. The homemade blueberry muffins were fresh and perfect. One morning we tried the "Nice Big Breakfast" which included fluffy and fresh French toast, a thick slab of ham steak, 2 eggs and home fries. I have to say that the home fries were tossed with garlic, and I do not like garlic, but my husband enjoyed them. Beverages available at breakfast include mimosa, bellini, and beautifully made cappuccino and mocha cappuccino for a delightful extra start to a relaxing and fun morning.

Garofalo's seems a little pricey, but not when you consider all the freshness and quality you are getting.

Although Garafalo's is open for breakfast from 8a to 11a, we discovered that you need to arrive early if you want to order something like one of their "Eggs Benedict" because they will run out of their homemade hollandaise sauce by about 9:30a.

Garofalo's is only open from mid-May to mid-October because they are located in a seasonal inn on the beach here in Maine, so they will be closing for the winter in a couple of weeks. I'll be looking forward to eating there again next season.

• Visited September 2011
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“SUPERB!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Although the patio came complete with Maine Monster Mosquitoes, the food and service - and wine list - were superb.

Very popular. Make sure to make reservations.

• Visited August 2011
Scarborough, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I LOVE YOU GAROFALO'S”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

I recently got married at Higgins Beach in Scarborough, followed by an Amazing reception at the Higgins Beach Inn. The delicious food, great service and attention to detail were all absolutely excellent. Thank you Higgins Beach Inn, and thank you Garofalo's, for making our wedding day happy and memorable. With Owners, Bob Westberg and Diane Garofalo overseeing every detail, our Special Day was totally stress free. I love my new Husband and I love you, Garofalo's! Rita Kelly

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank RitaKelly1
vermont
“Great food and service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We had a wonderful meal. We ordered the baked haddock and the seafood risotto. Both dishes were delicious. The service was wonderful and Cash, the dog, is the perfect Inn greeter.

1 Thank VermontTothebeach