“Wonderful!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rockland
Ripples Inn at the Harbor
Ranked #5 of 8 Rockland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 September 2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ripples Inn. We had a relaxing stay in the Zen room...loved the restful and calm there. Sandi was a lovely hostess and provided a delightful breakfast. We totally recommend this B&B!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DrJudithLee
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed in the family suite and enjoyed our overnight stay there. The family suite has two rooms, one with a large bed and the second with a day bed. The room with the large bed is the only one with air conditioning. The large room doesn't have a TV but the room with day bed does have a very small TV. Each room has a sink as the private bathroom shared by a hallway has a tub and toilet only. The one thing I didn't expect was the mosquitoes in Maine during this time of the year. I got one of my first of many bites while using the bathroom at the Inn so just a warning to bring mosquito repellent or buy some at the Rite Aid close-by depending on the time of year you come visit. Sandi, the Innkeeper provided us with wipes from the common area since we didn't come prepared.

The common area has a small TV and a computer for Internet use. I would recommend bringing a laptop for use in your room as the Wi-Fi worked great in my room. There is a microwave to warm up food and a small refrigerator to store leftover food and some drinks. We didn't really spend much time in the common area as we were either in our rooms or out and about exploring the area. The front door is kept open all day so make sure you lock your door to your room.

This B&B is located within walking distance of some shops and restaurants in town including the Farnsworth Art Museum. We decided to have dinner at Cafe Miranda, which is one of the best restaurants in town but quite expensive even for Los Angeles standards. Be prepared to pay a lot for your dinner but for great quality food. Be aware that during the time we were there dining I again got bitten by mosquitoes while dining in their patio which was quite annoying that I didn't really enjoy my meal because of the itchiness. The locals don't seem to be bothered by the mosquitoes as they are probably more attracted to the agitated visitors of this lovely town. I told the server I wanted to have a lobster dish and our server suggested the homemade pasta dish topped with lobster. I thought it was OK but nothing spectacular. My cousins had the lobster mac and cheese which was much tastier than my meal of $34. Most of the dishes seemed like they were in the $30+ range. Plain spaghetti would set you back $20, the priciest spaghetti I've ever seen. Seems like this town is taking advantage of tourists with the cost of dining out since they charge so high for their food. We were sitting next to locals so that is good sign that locals would pay to eat here too. We were told by someone that the reason for the expensive food might be is the transportation costs to get food delivered there to Rockland. I would think though if the food they served was from the local farms, then it would in effect would not affect the cost of food.

We did discover a restaurant during our walk that had a sandwich that beat Bobby Flay on his show Food Network show, Throwdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPBgcWdHX4w. "Heaven between bread " was described of this "King of Clubs" sandwich. Definitely try this during your trip to Rockland, Maine. This was an expensive sandwich at $24 but great because of all the fresh and tasty Lobster meat packed into this sandwich. The restaurant, Brass Compass Cafe is open at 5 am to 3 pm, check their website for exact hours of business for the day you plan on going.

For a list Rockland, ME's most popular places on Yelp, click here: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&ns=1&find_loc=rockland%2C+me#show_filters=1&sortby=review_count

There isn't much of exciting nightlife if you're "city folk" like us. I definitely don't care to seek it out when I am on a vacation in a small town. There is an interesting bar across the street if you like to go out for drink and two other bars close by within walking distance to experience the Rockland "nightlife." Thought the bar across the street was a church but actually an old rail station turned into a bar.

One thing to also note is that you can get your car blocked here because of the limited amount of parking. You won't need a car to walk to the shops and museum, but in our case, we wanted to take the car out to buy some groceries and was blocked by someone else's car.

We were still on West Coast time and woke up late but Sandi, our Innkeeper, kindly served us a late breakfast when we showed up in the dining room. We had a simple and satisfying breakfast of what was left for us on the table as we couldn't wake up early despite setting our alarm to wake up for breakfast. She brought coffee to us, made us fresh eggs, sausages, toasted English muffins, local berry jam, homemade Greek yogurt, granola, and fresh fruit. Sandi was a great host and definitely accommodated us at breakfast at a later time. I could tell by the people that said their goodbyes to here during our breakfast that they definitely would return on their next trip to Rockland.

Sandi is a great host with a warm and friendly demeanor. She definitely made sure you felt comfortable at the B&B. If you needed her for anything, we could have reached her by her mobile phone. Sandi has some dogs and cats roaming around the B&B, so if you don't mind them, you'll enjoy your stay here in this charming B&B with a great host. We definitely felt like we were leaving the home of a friend or distant relative. Sandi is very gracious, kind, and accommodating and I would definitely return if I found myself back in Rockland.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Anne A
Reviewed 1 September 2011

I've been vacationing in Maine almost every summer for a number of years statying with friends in Rockland and Owl's Head. Last August was the first trip as a couple and we both enjoyed Ripples. Comfortable, easy to find location. The Garden Room is our favourite and is truly comfortable. Sandi is a thoughtful and friendly hostess, attentive to her guests needs, with pleasant demeanor and full of good advice about local attractions. Surprisingly, her guests were of similar disposition, with one couple on honeymoon. The breakfasts were plentiful with a good variety of food at a beautifully appointed table. If in my next incarnation I were to run a B&B, I would try to copy Sandi!
I recommend Ripples to anyone without reservation.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is romantic while Zen Room looks spacious and airy.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Ripples Inn was the perfect accommodations for my solo trip to the Rockland area. My room (Beach Room) was small however very clean and was perfect for a single traveler that didn't need or want to spend much time in one's room; and the wireless internet was splendid! The included breakfast in the morning was great as was the company of the innkeeper, other guests and the innkeepers two dogs.

The location was close enough drive to everything in the area that I wanted to visit during my two days in the area. Owls Head, Breakwater Light House, Farnsworth Art Museum, Strand Theater, Lighthouse Museum, Camden, scenic cruises/sails, amazing restaurants, shopping, hiking, beaches, and more are a hop skip and a jump away with so much within walking distance!

This is definitely a great place to stay when visiting the Rockland area and I can't wait for my next visit (hopefully in October).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My mother and I were first-time Bed & Breakfast vacationers when we stayed at Ripples Inn this past July, and I have to say that Sandi set the bar. Ripples is a charming and comfortable Inn within walking distance to Rockland’s Main Street, Farnsworth museum, the harbor, two light houses, and a popular Dairy Queen (Seriously, there’s nothing better than walking up the street to get a fresh Dilly Bar.) The property was clean, well kept, and equipped with enough porches and lounge areas to just kick back and relax.

We chose Ripples because it offered two twin beds in the Garden Room. This truly made the difference for us. B&Bs cater to couples, and Sandi has rooms for friends (or mother/daughter vacationers like us) and even families. We would not have stayed there otherwise. The Garden Room was spacious and decorated in a fun yet tasteful style that never felt gimmicky. (Each room has a theme.)

Now, Ripples isn’t “perfect” (Of course not, nothing is perfect!) However, the pros outweighed the cons, which weren’t really cons in the end. Let me explain… B&Bs are not hotels; they come with a different set of rules so it’s all about your expectations and whether or not you know what you’re getting into. There is no central air in Ripples Inn, but our room had a great ceiling fan and an abundance of fresh sea air thanks to 3 large windows in our room. There was an extra fan in the room but we didn’t need it. There are no TVs in each room, but there is a common area to catch the news, and there’s also free wi-fi if you bring your laptop. Ripples is adjacent to a bar/restaurant and the street can be busy and a little noisy, this is just the reality of it. I would have liked it to be a little quieter, but that didn’t ruin my vacation. There is no “room service”, no one makes your bed or takes out the trash. If we were there a week or longer this would have been an issue, but for a few days, in sunny wonderful Maine, it wasn’t a big deal. It is what it is. I much rather rave about the fabulous full breakfast Sandi made every morning (with Maine blueberries), and her sweet dogs Isabella and Ricardo, and the good energy of the Inn. Overall, my mother and I had a wonderful stay, and we hope you give Ripples a try and experience the same.

Room Tip: The Garden Room is one of the larger rooms in the Inn and comes in a King bed option too.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank LaWanica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
0.1 km away
0.8 km away
Old Granite Inn
Old Granite Inn
#3 of 8 in Rockland

Been to Ripples Inn at the Harbor? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK