All reviews room was clean old port front desk staff maine medical center pool and hot tub close to the airport short drive omelet convenient location shuttle service coffee maker free shuttle downtown amtrak proximity waterfront
Reviewed 3 November 2018

An easy and inexpensive ride on Concord Coach from Boston Logan Airport took 2 hours to arrive at Portland's Transportation Center. Exit the Transportation Center's front doors, look straight ahead over and beyond the parking area, two non-descriptive buildings could be seen--one would be the Clarion Hotel. Walk 4 minutes left-ward circumventing the parking area toward those buildings. I stayed 3 comfortable nights October 15-19. I especially enjoyed their hospitality table of unlimited excellent coffee, tea, and refreshing lemon or cucumber ice water. A bonus was Anania, a deli and convenient store across the hotel on Congress Street. Heated up their meatball lasagna in my room's microwave--fresh, delicious and satisfying. They also have lobster roll (most reasonable price) made to order. At 4pm and 7pm, Clarion provided shuttle drop off in front of Portland Lobster Company on Commercial Street port-side but no return shuttle. From Commercial/Market Street to Congress Bus Stop about 1/2 mile to take the #1 bus ($1.50 cash) on Congress Street back to the Transportation Center and back to the hotel, easy. Similarly #1 ($1.50 cash) from the Transportation Center takes Congress Street all the way to the other end of Portland was a nice "tour." Walk back on Congress Street would pass the Lighthouse Observatory,Old Graveyard, City Hall, Portland Art Museum, etc. Took Concord Coach back to Boston. Clarion was perfect for my trip.

Trip type: Travelled solo
MFAPGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2018

Thank you so much for the nice review of your recent stay. I truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again int he future.

Reviewed 30 October 2018

The hotel is very old and had a musty smell in the room. It really needs refurbished. There was black mildew in the shower which is not a good sign. It is a very good location so if they would put a little of their money into the place to refurbish they could make out a lot better.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MFAPGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2018

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay. We have just completed a large renovation including carpet, drapes,curtains, lighting and wall vinyl throughout the hotel. We will be working on our bathrooms over the winter. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 October 2018

We found the Hotel a bit difficult to find, ended up at the wrong end of the building, better signage would be helpful. Check in was difficult as the lady couldn't find my booking and told me I didn't have one. A gentleman came out and found us. Worry over, or so I thought. The room was very good, clean and recently had a makeover. Not bad but only parts of the room are improved. Good bed and shower which is always good, quiet room. Swimming pool was cold but the Hot Tub made up for that, it was perfect. We didn't eat in the Hotel but it appeared to have good choices and the prices seemed reasonable.
My biggest issue, hence my downgrade is that the Hotel told me that I owed nothing at checkout, I had paid in advance, to find that on getting back to the UK, they had charged my Card for the room. It took quite a while to get my money back, the General Manager ignored my email I sent which is a bit rude, an apology might have been nice and respectful. I was given the correct email by Choice Hotels Europe who also sent him an email requesting a refund and spoke to the front desk on my behalf. This should not have happened and if I hadn't checked my credit card statements then the Hotel would have been paid twice. Keep checking folks, this is just not right.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
MFAPGM, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hotel and facilities. I am truly sorry that you had an issue with your credit card being charged. I certainly was not trying to be rude or ignoring you I do not show any record of an e-mail from you. I'm pleased that all was resolved in the end.

Thank you again for your business. I do appreciate it.

Reviewed 25 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for a night. Staff was friendly. Check in was quick. Room was a little dated though. Hotel is not far from downtown and the airport. They have a transfer service which was great to and from airport.

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 21 October 2018

I was traveling in Maine to visit family for a period of 5 days but only stayed at this hotel for one night. I wish I had stayed here the whole week!

The hotel sits a little bit outside of downtown Portland, but travelers can easily get to I-295 and the airport from this location. The Turnpike is a little further away but not a bad trip.

My room was clean and comfortable, with plenty of space to move around. There was a mid-size fridge, microwave, iron/ironing board and coffee maker in the room. The desk area was spacious with plenty of room to set up a laptop and writing pad for work purposes.

The beds were reasonably comfortable and my stay that night was quiet. The HVAC system worked fine and kept the room at a comfortable temperature. The bathroom sink/toilet/shower were in good working order.

There is a decent restaurant on the ground floor of the hotel with a small bar. Menu items are somewhat limited but most guests should be able to find something to their liking. Pricing for the hotel restaurant was reasonable, not any more than you'd pay eating out at another location.

Parking around the immediate hotel entrance is a bit limited but the're plenty of parking to the sides and rear of the building.

As I mentioned earlier, I wish I had stayed at this hotel during my entire trip. I would recommend travelers to stay at the Clarion if they don't mind being slightly out-of-the-way of downtown. Most everything is a short drive from here so I wouldn't let its location hinder you from staying at the Clarion!

• Trip type: Travelled solo

Thank you so much for the awesome review. I have shared your comments with the entire team. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again on your next visit to Portland.