“Dinner at the Bar”

Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch
Description: Gritty McDuff's, Maine's Original Brew Pub specializes in hand-crafted English style ales and traditional and creative pub fare, in a friendly and fun atmosphere. Both Gritty's fine ales and the pubs have won countless "best of" awards through our twenty-five years of operation. Our standard brews are session beers, Gritty's Pub-Style Pale Ale, McDuff's Best Bitter, Black Fly Stout, allowing one to have multiple beers within a reasonable time period without overwhelming the senses. Our seasonal and varietal ale offerings are more adventurous, some with a higher ABV, and some with higher IBU. We brew a beer for all craft brew palates. For the diner, we offer traditional pub fare alongside not so traditional specialty items. Our pub-style long tables with benches easily accommodate parties of all sizes and add to the camaraderie.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

On a rainy late afternoon in Portland I wondered into Gritty’s, as I tend to do when I’m in the area.

Shrimp and Fries- this plate of perfectly battered (enormous) shrimp on top of a huge pile of perfectly cooked and seasoned fries was only $18. The cocktail sauce was perfect, cole slaw was a bonus. At first glance the fries look like any ¼” hand cut fries- but they were perfect, can't stress that enough.

Service at the bar- the bartender was charming, smiled and poured the perfect SOS.

Bathrooms- didn’t smell like low tide.

Perfect reviews aren’t reserved for fine dining establishments; authenticity of simple but perfectly executed items goes a long way. So that’s it; short, sweet and to the point…just like Gritty’s.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Stopped in for some drinks. I was happy to see they brewed their own beer so I figured I would try it out. I tried their Lager but could barely finish the beer as it a terrible smell to it. I understand you can't define a place by having one beer so with that I keep an open mind and would try it a second time if I stopped back into Portland.

Gritty M, Public Relations Manager at Gritty McDuff's, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

We are sorry to learn of your recent experience, particularly since it is an atypical one. We are checking into the variables which may have occurred to ensure this doesn't happen again in the future. We would greatly appreciate you reaching out to me via gritty@grittys.com so I can learn more about your visit.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

We stopped here for a few drinks during our stay in Portland. The bar tender was very friendly and gave us a great suggestion for beer.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

Brought my cousin here for drinks for his birthday. Clean, busy place. The group was mixed on the quality of the beer. The girls wanted sangria but the bar had a hard time making them. Mixed feelings about this place.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We just tried the first items from a new chef here, as a special menu was on the the irish day. As busy as the place was, service was fast and the three choices we had on the menu were excellent. After coming here for over 10 years, probably some of the best food we have had. The fish and chips especially was very well prepared with a much lighter preparation than the heavy batter many use. Heard new menu coming, looking forward to good changes.

THANK YOU! Your review will be passed along to our new Chef, who will greatly appreciate your comments.
We also appreciate the shout out to the hard working staff who provided great service on a crazy busy day.

We look forward to serving you again soon.

Cheers!