“A truly wonderful place!”
Review of Inn On Carleton

Inn On Carleton
Ranked #4 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Waltham, Massachusetts, United States
“A truly wonderful place!”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Let me start off with a few facts about myself. I am cynical, like to critique, and rarely like to give full credit for doing what was promised. I bring this personal info up so those that are trying to decide where to stay in Portland know that I am serious when I say this is the only place you should consider. True, I have not stayed anywhere else, and therefore, I do not doubt there are many other quality places. But this B&B delivers!
Starting with our arrival, where after a 2+ hour drive we were met with a smile and welcoming voice of the owner, Buddy, who seemed more excited about our arrival then we were. He then proceeded to take all of our luggage up to the top floor to our room, which seems minor but it set the mood and left us with a very good feeling about the place.
Moving onto the rooms, they are at least exactly what I envision a room in a New England B&B should look like. While we only stayed in our room, we were able to have a peak in most of the others as we walked through the inn. Each room has a special feeling of comfort and coziness. Our room had a nice, comfortable bed...a little gas fireplace, big bathroom with bath, TV, and reading chair. It felt private, but was easily accessible. Usually when you stay at a hotel of sorts you intend to spend less time in your room for obvious reasons. But at this inn, part of the trip should be used to relax and enjoy your room.
Moving on to the other aspects of the place. Breakfast is part of the reservation. There is a nice little 'dining area' next to their living room, which has a fireplace, comfortable seating and reading materials. The breakfast is great, at the level of anything else you could get in town. The food is made by your host Buddy, who is always willing to customize a meal for you, tho I suggest going with his morning special. As great as the food was, the service was even better. We had the fortunate opportunity to have Cindy to greet us each morning and provide us with everything we need. She is incredibly kind and sweet. She knows the area well, and is always willing to help you with you plans (as is Buddy). Cindy and Buddy both truly seem to care about who you are and what you think, and they are sincere.
In terms of location, it is in a great spot within the west end of Portland. You can walk to several great bars, restaurants, and shops. Or, you can easily take a taxi to the Port or west end.  I love where this inn is because it is close enough to everything, but far enough away to have privacy and relaxation.
It seems like most of the other reviews agree with me on how great this place is. But like in life, there are always a few people who take their high demands and unrealistic personal experiences and make comments off of that. While I have been bias and in favor of this B&B, as I started this review I remain someone who is not easily impressed. And I am trying to pass along info that I think would be helpful for someone who is trying to determine if this is the right place for them. Parking is not a problem, a barking dog is not a problem, and a sweet breakfast is not a problem. Problems only exist if you are 'one of those type of people'...and I think most of you know what I am talking about.
I highly recommend this place and cannot wait for a return visit in the spring!
Thank you Buddy and Cindy!

Room Tip: Look online, certain rooms have gas fireplaces. All the rooms offer something unique.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed here for five nights in January. The owner is most gracious and extremely helpful to us in recommeding and making reservations at outstanding restaurants. The rooms are each decorated gorgeously. No details are overlooked. The breakfasts were also something that we looked forward to each morning. We have stayed at many inns over the past 35 years but this ranks at the very top.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 18 January 2012

This was that first time my husband and I stayed at an Inn or B&B and were a nervous having heard some people share that Inns and B&B's were not very private. The Carleton exceeded our expectations for us "first timers". The Inn was so nice and clean as well as private. We had a room at the top of the stairs on the second floor and I was afraid we would hear people coming and going but never hear a footstep. Buddy was the most wonderful host, telling us where to eat. Go with his recommendations! He knows his stuff! And Breakfast was AMAZING! Kathy was a wonderful hostess for breakfast bringing whatever we needed while Buddy made us the best breakfast. The price was so reasonable! I shopped around and this was the least expensive accommodation in downtown Portland. For all that you get here - it is an amazing value! We will certainly be back here again! Thank you Buddy & Kathy!!!!!

Reviewed 17 January 2012

Every last detail was considered. From the freshly baked snacks upon arrival to every last picture hung on the wall. I ant think of one negative thing to say. What a lovely place.

• Stayed January 2012
Portland, Maine, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Carleton for our wedding! We are locals and were looking for a nice local getaway. The Inn exceeded our expectations in every way. It was easy to find and had off street parking. The service at the Inn was amazing! The Inn Keeper was friendly and welcoming and made us feel right at home! The decor is tasteful and authentic and created a very lovely atmosphere. The breakfast was delicious and plentiful! We will be recommending this Inn to friends and family in the spring and will visit it again in the future ourselves!

Room Tip: We stayed in room one and it was absolutely gorgeous!
1 Thank Cam2Caw