“Hidden Gem”

Wicked Walking Tours
Ranked #7 of 35 Tours in Portland
More attraction details
Owner description: Legends & History of Haunted Portland. Join your fellow thrill seekers and history lovers for this VERY entertaining and unique stroll through the cobblestone streets of the Old Port. Our professional performance artists turn factual dark history dating from the 1600's into theater and even Stand-up comedy at times! Featuring Indian Attacks, Witch Trials, Pirates, terrific story telling, hysterical impersonations and more, this extremely ghost popular tour boasts guests who return year after year. It's not a lot of walking, but it sure is a lot of fun!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My girlfriend who was visiting from Dental School in New Jersey, and I who currently live and work in New York, took a weekend trip to Maine. My significant other is a great trip planner and found Wicked Walking tours as a top rated attraction on Trip advisor. A skeptical New Yorker, but a true Mainer at heart (I grew up in Cumberland County), I thought that this tour would be a little hokey from the outset. However, much to our surprise, this truly is one of the best hidden gems in Portland. Gordon, our tour guide was very informative, and linked Portland's bloody past with stories of ghosts that supposedly still haunt Portland today. Gordon's comprehensive knowledge of Maine's history, and his down home humor makes him the perfect guide for a tour around Portland. This is a definite must do whether you are visiting Portland, or are a Maine Native! P.S. Your wicked walking tour sticker entitles you to a dollar off a Pint at Gritty McDuffs or Frozen yogurt at GoBerry. Yummy Yummy!

1  Thank akr249
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 19 March 2012

I went on this tour with my girlfriend on St. Patrick's Day and we had an amazing time! The tour guide was extremely captivating and had a plethora of chilling stories to grab our attention, while guiding us through the historic and quaint "Old Port." It was a great combination of scary and interesting while also providing the perfect situation to get to know the city of Portland. I highly recommend this tour, and if we ever make it back we just might have to go on it a second time!

1  Thank Seth M
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Gordon, your tour guide extraordinaire combines humor with a knack for story telling. Carrying his lantern throughout town, he walks you through the famous ghosts and their stories within the streets and alleyways of Portland. This tour is suitable for all ages- he is very kid friendly and loves what he does!! We found out about this tour through Trip Advisor - it was ranked at the top!! and we were not disappointed. Thanks Gordon!!
Marsha and Harlan, Evanston, Illinois

5  Thank Marsha3312
Reviewed 16 November 2011

My girlfriend and I took the Wicked Walking tour with Gordon while speeding a weekend in Portland Maine. Without a doubt this was one of the better tours we have ever been on. It's now nearly a week later and we are still talking about the tour and how good it was. It actually put the area in perspective for us - now understanding why Portland is legitimately a true ghost town. Gordon the tour guide was nothing short of FANTASTIC!!! He keeps you entertained with his very well researched ghost stories along with his great sense of humor to boot. I strongly recommend this tour for anyone who has an interest in history or enjoys the occasional ghostly tale.

3  Thank Adam574
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This tour is highly recommended and a fantastic way to learn about Portland and hear some great stories! Gordon, the guide, is very informative and extraordinarily knowledgeable about the haunted history of Portland. He's also a great story teller! I went on Halloween and we assembled at 7:30pm on a beautiful wharf on the Portland waterfront with ferries and boats docked nearby. Gordon got everyone warmed up with some history about the founding of Portland, including some of the attacks on the city, relating the stories to some historical markers around the city. We then set off on the walking tour and it was a great way to usher in All Hallow's Eve! At each stop Gordon would relay one or more stories both historical and relating to interviews he has done with people who live at the locations and who have had ghostly experiences. I learned a ton and loved hearing about the many ghost sightings. I'd absolutely recommend this tour not only for visitors but for people who live here (as I do) - you'll learn a lot and be highly entertained at the same time!

2  Thank Gordon M