All reviews the cottages low tide bedroom cottage adirondack chairs ogunquit river screened in porch large property guest rooms grounds are beautiful heated pool quiet retreat two story slice of heaven year after year views are spectacular standard room morning coffee
Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

The Dunes is, without a doubt, the perfect place stay if you are looking for peace and quiet. Our cottage, like all of the others, is well maintained with a rustic flair. Modern kitchens and bathrooms combined with a rustic ambiance, all with views of the dunes and ocean, makes this place idyllic. In the middle of Ogunquit, you feel as if you are miles away from civilization. I love this place, and can't wait to return.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2018

We stayed for 2 nights in September in a queen size room The room was immaculate and the bed was comfortable - probably the 2 most important things. The bathroom was a nice size with nicely tiled shower and nice bath amenities. Due to weather, we didn't get a chance to enjoy the rowboats, shuffleboard or any of the other activities the resort had to offer. Our room had a small window with a water view. All the staff we met were very kind. The room was small with barely enough room to open our 2 small carry-ons. If you have large luggage - then this probably isn't the room for you - especially if your room is on 2nd floor like ours was. You will carry your luggage up the stairs. Despite the size of room, I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2018

I booked at the last minute, after a snafu at another hotel. The manager Katie and staff are super friendly and welcoming, and my superior room was extremely comfy. I loved being on the beautiful estuary (why would anyone complain about that???) and went kayaking twice, as well as swimming. I borrowed a puzzle, enjoyed the coffee, and found everyone there really kind and helpful. People come back year after year for a reason. Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: cottages have kitchens but no cleaning service
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

We rented two cabins for four nights in late August 2018. The location is beautiful. I've seen some complaints about the estuary, but my husband and I had almost as much fun there as in the ocean, and it's still walkable even at high tide if you don't mind getting wet. It's an adventure! We thought it was lovely, and there was exciting wildlife all the way to the beach.

The staff were so wonderful! Down to the fella who brought our rented kayak down to the dock, they were helpful, friendly, and cheerful. Wish I could've brought them home with me!

There were two silly, easy-to-fix things that put a damper on our stay. First, I had to take away a star due to the lack of housekeeping. There is NO housekeeping in the cabins! I can't imagine the justification behind it (other than to save a few bucks), but they seriously don't change your sheets/towels, restock the bathroom items, nothing. And when you're expected to spend a lot of time at the beach, you'll want new towels and sheets without sand in them. You are invited to go to the office and change your own linens, but frankly for what it costs to stay here, I'm not changing my own sheets.

They lost the other star due to the toilet paper quality. This is going to sound really petty, but having nothing but half-ply sandpaper to use as toilet paper for four days is absolutely hellish. Again, for what we were paying, having garbage toilet paper is just absurd. It just comes across as unnecessarily cheap. Money can be saved elsewhere that'll be less obvious to the guests. Everything else was so nice, and if you're willing to blow several hundred dollars a night and are fine with sandy sheets and awful toilet paper, go nuts!

Unfortunately, with the lack of housekeeping/unhappy toilet time and for what it costs, I would stay elsewhere. If these two simple things get fixed, I would make a special trip just to come back!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Emma L
AaronPerkins, Owner at The Dunes on the Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Dear Emma L,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm so glad that you were able to experience the beauty of Ogunquit, particularly the Ogunquit River Estuary and the beach. I agree that the estuary is one of our most treasured assets. Thank you also for the kind words about our team. We're very proud of the folks that we work with and we know that they are the best in the business.
I'm sorry that we were not able to provide you with a stay that completely met your expectations. We take this very seriously.
We should have done a better job of informing you that the cottages are cleaned for you for your arrival but once you check in we won't disturb you. You are correct that we will provide you with clean towels, sheets and pool towels each day as you need, but we typically don't provide daily housekeeping service in the cottages as we do in the hotel rooms. We do this to provide guests with as much privacy as possible. Housekeeping service in the cottages can be arranged for a small additional cost, but again we clearly didn't do our job in informing you of that. I apologize for that.
Also, thank you for the feedback on the toilet tissue. I feel confident that we can improve, and provide a better product.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again, I'm certain that we can earn those stars.
Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any additional questions or concerns.
Aaron Perkins, Owner The Dunes on the Waterfront

Reviewed 6 September 2018

Once again, we had an amazing visit at the Dunes. It is hard to adequately capture all that is special about the Dunes- staff, cottages, the grounds, flowers, views, pool.....
Whether the sun is shining, clouds are looming or rain falling, the Dunes is an exceptional place to spend some time. As we leave in August, we are already planning our return. Thank you to ALL the staff at the Dunes who continue to make this spot so special.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family