“What a shame!”

Asticou Inn
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“What a shame!”
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The beautiful setting and incredible views are not enough to create a great experience at this poorly run inn. The lack of service, management and the bizarre "cottage" we stayed in left us less than satisfied. My first contact with the inn was a call from someone canceling my dinner reservation due to the wedding they had going on simultaneously that they had underestimated the amount of space they would need. Upon arrival we were directed to our "cottage" and
Upon arrival first experienced the moldy smell, bathroom smaller than a greyhound bus bathroom, tv circa 1980, and non working fridge, at which point we were startled by a crash outside our window. The young cleaning crew had run a golf cart into a tree outside our room and were loudly and for quite some time laughing and arguing over what they should do. Our experience thus far prompted us to see if we could change rooms but with back to back weddings the one tiny room available on the 3rd floor felt like we were in the middle of a family reunion. We opted instead to shorten our stay. We asked for directions to a golf course less than a mile from the inn and the front desk "crew" had never heard of it...so we found it on our own. The morning after the first wedding we were "greeted" by dirty dishes and glasses and a partially cleaned deck, and no one manning the front desk. The cat hair, and spilled fruit on the unkept front porch was just part of the charm. There are more poor service examples and strange things that occurred but I'll stop here. Again what a shame that this beautiful location is lacking on so many levels.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Rhonda E
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My new, beautiful wife and I chose to get married at the Asticou Inn in Northeast Harbor. Without hesitation I can shout to the the world that it was one of the best desicions of our life. The staff was like family offering anything we needed. In fact the day of the wedding, they ran over hot beverags to our bridal party and were like little magical cleaning fairies. Amazing! I am sure that alot of people had a hand in the event but the go to guy was Thomas. Eagle eye, master of ceremonies, ring leader, always a step ahead--- whatever you want to say, he was the man!

The food was to die for, the music was playing, the lighting was just right..... I could go on and on!

If you are reading this post please take away this little nugget,
"If you are getting married, now or in the future, the Asticou Inn should be on the top of your list!"

Nate C

Room Tip: The Cranberry Lodge is amazing, elagant, and gives you that back east feel.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2012

My family and I stayed at the Asticou Inn last week for two nights. We were in town on vacation visiting Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. The inn's location is prime because it is tucked away on a quiet hill in Northeast Harbor, yet both of our destinations were within a short (and scenic) drive. The staff members that we interacted with were professional, friendly and accommodating, and our rooms were wonderful. We stayed in the Cranberry Lodge in two suites that accommodated all 8 of us very comfortably. While the house has signs of aging, the rooms were quite nice with modern amenities such as comfortable queen size beds and a kitchenette complete with a mini-fridge, microwave and stove. Breakfast in the morning is not included in the rate, but is very reasonably priced for the options you have to choose from, including omelettes, french toast, bacon/sausage or a buffet with pastries and cold cereals. There is also a daily, complimentary afternoon tea. For those looking to cool off after a long day or hiking or biking, there is a pool behind the main building. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Asticou Inn and will return next time I'm in the area! My family and I stayed at the Asticou Inn last week for two nights. We were in town on vacation visiting Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. The inn's location is prime because it is tucked away on a quiet hill in Northeast Harbor, yet both of our destinations were within a short (and scenic) drive. The staff members that we interacted with were professional, friendly and accommodating, and our rooms were wonderful. We stayed in the Cranberry Lodge in two suites that accommodated all 8 of us very comfortably. While the house has signs of aging, the rooms were quite nice with modern amenities such as comfortable queen size beds and a kitchenette complete with a mini-fridge, microwave and stove. Breakfast in the morning is not included in the rate, but is very reasonably priced for the options you have to choose from, including omelettes, french toast, bacon/sausage or a buffet with pastries and cold cereals. There is also a daily, complimentary afternoon tea. For those looking to cool off after a long day or hiking or biking, there is a pool behind the main building. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Asticou Inn and will return next time I'm in the area!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Mount Desert Island, Maine
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband and I chose the Asticou Inn for our coastal wedding based on it's traditional island history, and breathtaking view. What we got was a beautiful wedding, expertly executed by a fantastic staff. Tom Weverstad was, by-far, the most helpful and fantastic part of our experience. It was clear that he knew what he was doing, and his recommendations were helpful and spot-on. From last-minute specialty drinks, to ensuring that all of our guests were comfortable and happy- Tom was our man!
Our ceremony had a beautiful back-drop and the new chef provided the most FANTASTIC hors d'oeuvres and dinner. We both wish that we had the time to enjoy the dinner and beverages more!
We are a local couple, but had people traveling to be with us from all of the country. The Asticou team was very obliging when it came to helping us make arrangements for our guests. All of our rooms were classic and charming, and our guests have been raving that our wedding was "the most beautiful" they've ever attended. We are very glad that we chose the Asticou and we look forward to visiting often.

Room Tip: Room 201 in the Bird Bank was very roomy and had a lovely screened in porch that looks over the grou...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LaceyLouAndDaveToo
New York
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The Asticou opened in 1883, and is one of the few remaining 19th century wood frame hotels on Mount Desert Island. It preserves the graciousness of an earlier time, and gives one a pure sense of Down East Maine. The hotel is opened for only 6 months a year; I imagine staffing is a challenge. So that the staff was uniformly eager to please was even more impressive. I'm a frugal traveler, but was delighted that I paid extra for the view of North East Harbor. I chose the Inn because the Asticou Gardens (extraordinary) were just across the street. I discovered a lot more reasons to be happy there. The room was even larger than what I was led to believe from the web description; it was furnished in a simple, elegant and comfortable Yankee style. The afternoon tea was delightful: wide selection of teas; coffee; delicious tea sandwiches and pastries. We were reluctant to try the Inn's Peabody Restaurant, which received some negative reviews here, but decided to go ahead nonetheless. What a surprise! The new management knows its stuff. It was the best meal we had on Mount Desert Island - and we ate very well all vacation. The hotel is beautifully maintained, which has got to be a challenge considering that it's on the water and, well, Maine winters are brutal.
The Asticou is a 15 minute drive from Bar Harbor and its restaurants & shopping, 5 minutes from an Acadia National Park entrance, within walking distance to hiking trails, the Asticou and Thuya Gardens.
Now for the warnings. From the other reviews, this is a great place for a destination wedding. But if it's not your wedding, I'd ask the reservation clerk where the quietest room would be. Or choose another date to come. You must remember that this hotel was built in the 19th century, and probably had shared bathrooms in the halls. I'd imagine a lot of bathrooms were installed after 1883. Ours was small. The fixtures and the plumbing were newly renovated, but the scale belonged to another century. There are no TV's in the room, only in the lounge. Our cell phones didn't get reception but the hotel wireless was free, and the signal was strong. Local calls from room phones are free. I wouldn't bring children here unless they can adjust to being without electronic distractions and like hiking. Or a teenager without a driving license. You'll be driving to most places.

Room Tip: The Asticou web site describes every room in the hotel. Consult it, and talk to the hotel reservatio...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
11.5 km away
Harborside Hotel & Marina
Harborside Hotel & Marina
#18 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Asticou Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK