“Unscrupulous business practices” 1 of 5 bubbles

Freedom Cafe & Public House
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Sacramento, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unscrupulous business practices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Very unscrupulous business practices. We had an event here and while we made reservations for 18 people and specifically requested food for only 18 people and were only served food for 18 people, we were charged for 32 people because that's how many people actually showed up. I specifically informed Michael, the event coordinator, that it was a distinct possibility that more people would show up bu...t that I was okay with only having food for 18 people as I knew most people weren't going to be eating anyway. He NEVER told me we would be charged for the additional people. I simply don't understand how as a professional business someone can charge for services that were not provided? We never were served any additional food, why were we being charged for it? Owner and management staff very untrustworthy and downright seedy if you ask me. My advice, if you still want to eat at this restaurant (although I don't know why you would based on most of the other reviews I see here), check your bill carefully, from what I hear, I am not the only person to be overcharged at this restaurant.

• Visited September 2011
1 Thank Mary S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Sacramento, California
“Very unscrupulus business practices”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

Very unscrupulus business practices. We had an event here and while we made reservations for 18 people and specifically requested food for only 18 people and were only served food for 18 people, we were charged for 32 people because that's how many people actually showed up. I specifically informed Michael, the event coordinator, that it was a distinct possibility that more people would show up but that I was okay with only having food for 18 people as I knew most people weren't going to be eating anyway. He NEVER told me we would be charged for the additional people. I simply don't understand how as a professional business someone can charge for services that were not provided? We never were served any additional food, why were we being charged for it? Owner and management staff very untrustworthy and downright seedy if you ask me. My advice, if you still want to eat at this restaurant (although I don't know why you would based on most of the other reviews I see here), check your bill carefully, from what I hear, I am not the only person to be overcharged at this restaurant.

• Visited September 2011
Naples, Maine
“TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE ... FOOD POISONING”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

I enjoy eating out and I've never had a worse dining experience! The clam chowder tasted funny, my lobster was chewy, and my kid's mac & cheese at $8 was straight out of the Kraft box - only it was watered down... YUCK! On top of it, I developed my first-ever case of food poisoning later that night.

When I notified the owner, he downplayed my illness and when I pressed him for a refund of at least my meal, he told me that his insurance company would be calling me, which they did not. I called back weekly until he agreed to a refund, which never came despite him having all of my contact information.

The upside to dining at Freedom Cafe... I dodged a bullet and survived. Will I ever go back? NEVER! Would I ever recommend the Freedom Cafe to a friend? NEVER!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank mmfoodcritic
Casco, Maine
“Ho Hum”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

The best part about this place is the deck seating overlooking the lake. Great place to have drinks and relax, but the menu...is lacking. The lobster roll was soggy (both times I tried), the hot wings..weren't that hot, and the burger..was a burger. My daughter didn't like her meal. Service was slow on several occasions. Probably not going back there unless it's just to have drinks on the deck.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Bridgton, Maine
“STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2011

I went into Freedom Cafe as recommended from a colleague. I live in the area and had never tried it before, but decided to have dinner before a meeting. I was going to grab a take out menu so that I could order something and take it with me, however, when I went inside there was noone in sight. It was about 2 or 3 in the afternoon so not a real busy time, however, I could not get anyone. Finally someone walked by but ignored me and continued walking. Afer about five minutes of waiting and noone comming over I decided to leave and grab dinner elsewhere. I would not recommend comming to Freedom, because there is lousy service. I would not go back and I do not recommend that anyone does.

• Visited July 2010