“Very unscrupulus business practices”

Freedom Cafe & Public House
Ranked #4 of 25 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, View, Child-friendly, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Sacramento, California
“Very unscrupulus business practices”
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Very unscrupulus business practices. We had an event here and while we made reservations for 18 people and specifically requested food for only 18 people and were only served food for 18 people, we were charged for 32 people because that's how many people actually showed up. I specifically informed Michael, the event coordinator, that it was a distinct possibility that more people would show up but that I was okay with only having food for 18 people as I knew most people weren't going to be eating anyway. He NEVER told me we would be charged for the additional people. I simply don't understand how as a professional business someone can charge for services that were not provided? We never were served any additional food, why were we being charged for it? Owner and management staff very untrustworthy and downright seedy if you ask me. My advice, if you still want to eat at this restaurant (although I don't know why you would based on most of the other reviews I see here), check your bill carefully, from what I hear, I am not the only person to be overcharged at this restaurant.

• Visited September 2011
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Naples, Maine
“TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE ... FOOD POISONING”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I enjoy eating out and I've never had a worse dining experience! The clam chowder tasted funny, my lobster was chewy, and my kid's mac & cheese at $8 was straight out of the Kraft box - only it was watered down... YUCK! On top of it, I developed my first-ever case of food poisoning later that night.

When I notified the owner, he downplayed my illness and when I pressed him for a refund of at least my meal, he told me that his insurance company would be calling me, which they did not. I called back weekly until he agreed to a refund, which never came despite him having all of my contact information.

The upside to dining at Freedom Cafe... I dodged a bullet and survived. Will I ever go back? NEVER! Would I ever recommend the Freedom Cafe to a friend? NEVER!

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank mmfoodcritic
Casco, Maine
“Ho Hum”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The best part about this place is the deck seating overlooking the lake. Great place to have drinks and relax, but the menu...is lacking. The lobster roll was soggy (both times I tried), the hot wings..weren't that hot, and the burger..was a burger. My daughter didn't like her meal. Service was slow on several occasions. Probably not going back there unless it's just to have drinks on the deck.

• Visited June 2011
Bridgton, Maine
“STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I went into Freedom Cafe as recommended from a colleague. I live in the area and had never tried it before, but decided to have dinner before a meeting. I was going to grab a take out menu so that I could order something and take it with me, however, when I went inside there was noone in sight. It was about 2 or 3 in the afternoon so not a real busy time, however, I could not get anyone. Finally someone walked by but ignored me and continued walking. Afer about five minutes of waiting and noone comming over I decided to leave and grab dinner elsewhere. I would not recommend comming to Freedom, because there is lousy service. I would not go back and I do not recommend that anyone does.

• Visited July 2010
4 Thank babybear1984
Hooksett, New Hampshire
“The Biggest Waste of Time and Money”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I don't even know where to start on this review... My husband, father and I wanted to go out for a nice casual diner. We decided to try the Freedom Cafe. We were sat at our table and our waitress came to take our drink order about 5 minutes after we were seated. She was managing tables outside on a deck and inside. We ordered 3 Sprites. She brought them over and they were flat and warm... very few ice cubes in the glass. We did not see our waitress again to even tell her about the soda for about 10 more minutes when she came over to take our order. We ordered 2 bowls of chili and a french onion soup to start and she then brought over more Sprites for us to try. She didn't come back over again until our soups were brought out and she said she would ask the maintenance guys to check the soda lines, then left. The chili, supposedly an award winning chili, was nothing fantastic, and the onion soup had absolutely no flavor at all and only about 4 onion pieces in the broth... it was the blandest onion soup I have ever had. When we were done with our soups a bus girl came and removed our bowls and our waitress came back again trying to bring us 3 Sprites. Once more they were still flat, so we ordered 3 Cokes instead. She brought those over and again there was no gas in the soda mixture, it was sweet and flat. Our food then came. I ordered a 12 oz prime rib medium rare... I received what looked like a thin flat steak that looked like it was cooked last week and reheated on a grill to make grill marks. There was no au juis and when I cut in to it, it was well done. My husband ordered meatloaf and it looked like a brown sponge on a plate with gooey-starchy mashed potatoes. My father ordered the fisherman's platter of fried shrimp, scallops, and haddock. He said the seafood was good, but not worth the $19 price tag. The waitress came over to check on us after about 6 minutes and I told her I wasn't going to eat mine as well as my husband's meatloaf. We ordered a burger cooked medium and a chicken sandwich with cheese on it to try instead. I asked her for a glass of water because I wasn't drinking the flat Coke. My father ate his platter and our food came out after some time. I cut in to my burger and it was rarer than my prime rib! It was a bright hot pink throughout, even though I asked for it medium. there was bacon on the burger, one piece was cooked and the second piece was still white and rubbery barely cooked. The french fries were the frozen kind that taste like they are dipped in a batter. My husband ate his chicken sandwich, but he said it had no flavor to it, but he was hungry and ate the sandwich, but not the fries. I pulled off the uncooked bacon and ate the burger because I was so hungry at that point, leaving the 15 disgusting french fries that were on the plate with it. I have an upset stomach right now and I am sure it is form the burger...
The waitress brought us our bill and didn't take anything off or offer us anything for our 2 hour culinary landslide of an experience there. $67 DOLLARS! I thought she would have at least not charged us for the 2 dollar sodas that none of us drank, but she did... I saw the manager walk by and I asked him if he knew we sent back 2 plates of food and he said yeah... what was wrong with the meatloaf, and my husband explained it was like a sponge and had an odd flavor and he didn't like it and I explained about my prime rib being all wrong and about the soda fiasco... He was not understanding at all and very rude and uptight and I told him the least he could do was not charge us 6 dollars for 3 drinks we never got to drink. He pretty much unwillingly said he would take those off our bill but was pretty rude about it to us, the customer.
I would certainly not recommend this place to anyone... it is nothing but an overpriced disaster. The manager should be ashamed for not running a place that pleases the customer...

4 Thank Kukkaberra

Been to Freedom Cafe & Public House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK