All reviewsthe barnworking farmgoatsfernhillbobbathtubhosts
Reviewed 25 October 2016

Honestly, I'm not sure how I should start this review. I have such mixed feelings about our stay.

My husband and I were looking for a romantic getaway, and after reading the reviews, we thought this would be a nice, out-of-the-way spot. We loved that the breakfasts got great reviews and that Amy and Bob made their own goat cheese and goat's milk soap. However, things weren't what we expected.

We came in on a Sunday, and after speaking with Amy on the phone, had made a plan to be there around 4 in the afternoon. My husband and I got there at 4:20ish, and there was no notice on which door to enter, so we went to the side door. It was locked and no one answered. I walked around to the front, but nope...locked. I called and after the phone rang a number of times, it was answered by their teenaged daughter who met us at the side door. She was completely confused as to why we were there and asked what room we were staying in. I had no idea, and fortunately a friend of hers was there and happened to see the note that her mom wrote saying that we were coming in. Her friend then showed us to the room.

The room was clean and furnished with well-loved furniture. My husband and I decided to hang in the room for a while and within a few minutes, we heard a door shut outside. When I looked out of the window, the two girls were walking down the drive to leave. We were the only ones there, and It felt very weird being in someone's home, not knowing where to get a drink or where anything was. (I wasn't sure if we were allowed to just go into the kitchen, and there wasn't a guest fridge available.)

We stayed in our room until after 6:00, and then went down the the one guest area where there were a couple of well-worn couches and a TV. I was really wanting a glass of water, and when I heard voices in the kitchen, I made my way there to see where I could get a drink. The daughter pointed to the faucet and said I could get some there, to which her friend replied, "Well, she needs a glass!" After her friend said that, her daughter got me a glass and some water. (I would have gotten it myself, but I hadn't been shown where anything was.)

We watched TV until 9:30. At this point, we had had no contact with either Bob or Amy. I knew Amy was at work and that I wouldn't see her until the next day, but Bob never checked to see if we had what we needed or anything or to ask us to pay. I was flabbergasted at this, only because at every other B&B we've stayed, the owner(s) made sure to introduce themselves to us and to make sure we had what we needed.

The next day, we made our way downstairs where we met Amy. She was a sweetheart and very apologetic about the debacle that was the previous day's check-in, and she made us an unbelievable breakfast. It was so delicious! Bacon and cheese omelet (with a little goat cheese thrown in), toast, blueberry pastry, fresh fruit, and home fries that were spiced just right. After the incredible breakfast, we played with the goats for a bit, then packed up and hit the road.

I'm truly confused as to how I should rate our stay. The first day was not great, but Amy was such as sweetheart. I really enjoyed talking with her. I'm not sure if I would stay here again, though. I kinda felt like we were in the way.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2015

I stumbled upon this place after several fruitless searches to find overnight accommodation near Harrison, Maine. I am really glad I never found anywhere sooner as this place ticked all the boxes when visiting Maine. Firstly do not expect a five star hotel, you are not paying a fraction of the cost of one of them. What we got was a comfortable room with a magnificent view of the White Mountains. The room was clean and exactly as shown on the web site. We also had a dining room, a sitting room and another dining room overlooking the garden. On arrival we were greeted by both Bob and Amy who gave us a warm welcome and a greatly needed cuppa. Bob had to excuse himself as he still had a few chores to do before it got dark as heavy rain had been forecast. Amy also had to go and feed the goats, we quickly volunteered to assist and had the added bonus of feeding some of the latest batch of baby goats, a definite added bonus to staying here in June. This is a working farm and Bob and Amy work really hard to ensure you enjoy your stay whilst working even harder to keep the farm running as authentically as practical. We were going to take our grandson with us this time but we decided the he was a little too young for such a long journey but we are looking forward to taking him there next year and hope we can time it so he has a chance to feed the goats. You can also buy really wonderful goats cheese but if you want more than a few ounces you had better book ahead as it goes really fast once it has matured. Thanks to Bob & Amy for being the perfect hosts and an extra thank you to Joe for the origami bird he made for Kay.

Room Tip: The Mount Washington room has a Jacuzzi massage bath and a beautiful view of Mount Washington.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Ged M
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Our go-to place for a stay in this popular summer area. Our parents live near by and finding a place that's not dirty, not stuffy, serves a full breakfast, allows our dogs & isn't in a noisy area is pretty near impossible. Amy and Bob and their adorable children make this a friendly (but not syrupy) and easy place to stay. There is a basic comfort and cleanliness level that we enjoy, but also the family and farm atmosphere is what makes it for us. This is a hard working family, as other reviewers have noted...making their own goat cheese & soap, raising a goat herd, milking, haying, etc. They are also professionals outside this farming/ B&B life...I will let you find out. There will be a guaranteed full delicious breakfast every stay and an atmosphere of relaxed comfort that is what brings us back time and time again. Actually, since our children were babes...now almost 30 years.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HopeHaviland
Reviewed 5 February 2014

We've stayed here before when dropping or picking up our daughter at a nearby camp. While those days have past, we decide to visit again during a longer vacation in New Hampshire and the lake region in western Maine. The owners are friendly and you get a good feel for a small working goat farm, including what's involved in caring for them and making goat cheese and soap. If you want, you can feel more part of their life in talking with them and their kids.

The rooms have farmhouse character and we liked the big bathtubs. The breakfast is one of the best I've had at a B&B, with farm fresh eggs and freshly baked treats. We found it relaxing to sit outside on the Adirondack chairs and enjoy the fresh country air and summer feeling.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Factory_tour_man
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is a small working goat farm so don't expect any frills. Clean yet spartan rooms, but my 6'3" husband got no sleep in the bed with footboard that prevented him from stretching out beyond a fetal position. Kind of a quirky atmosphere not the super friendly, charismatic B&B owners we are used to, but might be just right for you if you are short.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple