“Absolutely fantastic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Mount Desert Campground
Reviewed 29 August 2017

We are a family who is used to state park campgrounds and I have to tell you that this campground blows those out of the water. From the (mostly) private, wooded lots to the size of the campground to the pristinely clean (cleaned 2x a day) bathrooms, this is most definitely the place to go if you want to camp near Bar Harbor. I have to say that it's very refreshing to find a campground that rents to like-minded folks. We observe quiet hours, clean up our trash and take very good care of our sites. At 10pm, you could hear a pin drop in that place! I love that they have staff that live on site with very clearly marked housing. I felt comfortable enough allowing my 9 year old to walk to the Gathering Place alone and he loved it! We traveled from Delaware and it was most definitely worth the 10 hours. We loved it so much that we reserved our spot already for next summer! Do yourself a favor and check out this campground. The owners are very concerned with keeping visitor footprints to a minimum so they invest a lot of money and time into keeping the campground maintained in the off season and it clearly shows!

Room Tip: Most water sites are on platforms which can end up being raised off of the ground on the side of a h...
Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank Dinkerbugs
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

For the same price as staying inside a quiet and comfy motel with an actual bed, you are allowed to pitch a tent. Sites are close to 60 dollars a night. This is fine if you are a young family and you are doing a budget holiday trip for a few nights. There are no extended stay discounts or price breaks for 1 or 2 people. You will pay for everything else, from showers to firewood. It's a sad and acceptable option if you can't get in at Blackwoods, which is about 10 bucks cheaper. Also, bring earplugs, as you will be awoken by children and the smog from people running their motor to defog their windows.

Room Tip: bring earplugs
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

I'm 55... been tent camping my whole life. Been to many different campgrounds. As a Canadian I am used to some top notch Provincial Parks. This Park is phenomenal. Clearly anybody with anything bad to say about it has not seen many campgrounds! Fantastic sites... Great washrooms...great location for exploring Acadia National Park. I was only able to land a two night reservation. I will most definitely do what it takes to book a longer stay some day in the future and have been telling everyone I know that this is a dream campground for their future plans!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brooklinjb
Reviewed 17 August 2017

This beautiful campground is set right on the ocean with spectacular views. There are many sites that are wooded and more private with . They also have a dock that the children (and adults) can fish for crabs with nets. Coffee and sweet treats are available during the "Gathering Place" open hours and you can get your internet fix there as well. You can also enjoy taking out their canoes or kayaks for a fee whether it be a couple of hours or a full day. My family loves it here and most of all we have made great people and friends.

Stayed: August 2017
3  Thank Jennifer F
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

The campground is almost too big! It took forever to drive back and the only wifi is in one place and we were at the opposite end. Also no service on Verizon from the campsite. However the bathrooms for us were literally right across from us. And they were nice bathrooms. I enjoyed the campground, prime location, not very close to neighbors even though everyone I ran into was super sweet. They do have coffee and ice cream for sell as well as some breakfast sweets. Nice picnic benches. It was so beautiful though, I wish we were closer to the water, but again being right next to the bathroom was probably better :) wish we also would have gotten a site with the deck!!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
8.5 km away
Colonel's Suites
Colonel's Suites
#1 of 3 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Mount Desert Campground? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK