“Do you hate us?!”
Review of Bagel Caboose

Bagel Caboose
Ranked #3 of 5 Bakeries in Kittery
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Let me start by saying, we LOVE local businesses! When we moved to Kittery we were so excited to see The Bagel Caboose sitting less than five minutes from our new place! If I could describe our visits briefly I would say DISAPPOINTED and FRUSTRATED. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, we have frequented this business on multiple occasions - boy, what fools we were! Set aside the monetary loss, it's embarrassing to think of the mornings ruined by under-toasted yet somehow also burned, doughy, rubbery bagel sandwiches. Here's what is so frustrating to see: Walking in to the business (when it isn't filled with smoke...you see, someone is getting a toasted bagel, but it won't be you) is a quaint little counter with numerous lists of unbelievable bagel types, spreads, and sandwich creations. However, it's the execution of the food that is more than cringe worthy. My bagels are NEVER toasted, even when I beg them (I'm serious here, do the people there know what a real toasted bagel should look/taste like?!) I have never felt so betrayed. When I went back again (foolishly giving them another chance) I asked for an extra toasted bagel, thinking that maybe their toasters are outdated and a bagel needs two goes through....nope, wrong again! Still doughy, but also miraculously super burned. Maybe all they need is to invest in a new toaster, which can be purchased at any kitchen appliance store (I'm sayin' my Walmart toaster is far superior to anything that can be found in their kitchen). Other times I've gone, I've been desperate and gone with the knowledge that my bagel wouldn't be toasted. On those trips (yes, that's plural), I've gotten into my car only to realize that they couldn't even bother to put the right spread on my bagel (which was simply, cream cheese.) Now let me speak to their so-called breakfast sandwiches. So I order an "egg benewich" on an onion bagel and plan to stay and eat there. The overwhelming amount of smoke filling the restaurant forced me to instead eat in my car. None of the employees seemed concerned about the dense layer of smoke filling the space...but I still feel guilty, should I have called the fire department? Back to the sandwich, here are the key points - they didn't even pretend to toast the bagel, the eggs were those square rubbery monstrosities that I swear aren't even from a chicken, little precut squares of ham (I'm guessing?) and hollandaise sauce (which was actually okay). That was all smooshed together, microwaved, and wrapped in tin foil...yum? I'll say again, do you hate us?! My dog wouldn't even eat my leftover scraps, and she eats poop.
With all that said, what's so frustrating is that The Bagel Caboose could be an amazing restaurant - it just needs a little revamp. New attitudes and new appliances would do this place wonders!

Reviewed 7 August 2017

Went here for breakfast and we were pretty disappointed. They microwave there eggs. Its like getting a breakfast sandwhich from a convenient store. The bagels are great, but the eggs and bacon were awful.

Reviewed 27 March 2017 via mobile

If you want a bagel The Bagel Caboose is the way to go. It's a little tiny place with a train Runnin around a track above your head fresh-made spreads, fresh made Bagels anyway you would like them....with egg with steak with cream cheese with tofu you name it you can get it on a bagel here.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

Lunch time on the road. Where to go? Go to the Bagel Caboose. The sandwiches are a little gooey, so eat before you set off again. But the bagels are good, the smoked salmon is a cut above the ordinary, and the people are very nice.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

Stopped here while traveling. Didn't want a burger and this place was on the rotary for easy access to the highway. The bagels were okay, nothing special but the blueberry cream cheese was wonderful.

Been to Bagel Caboose? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK