1,994 results
All reviewsportside lodgefairy gardenlobster boat tourkids activitiesbreakfast buffetview of the riverkennebunk riverfree shuttlenew englandnewer buildingshuttle servicemy husband and iadirondack chairscarriage housepineapplemain buildingcorner room
Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

We love it! We have 2 boys and they can't wait for return again this year. We stay for 3 nights in a port side room with 2 queen beds and it is very comfortable. The rooms are very clean, the staff is wonderful, the pool area is well kept. We love the grilled chicken sandwiches at the pool, being able to walk to town after enjoying the blueberry ribs for dinner, or going on a bike ride. We also drive to fun town, splash town one day have a blast.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank beachtravel77
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

I am delighted to hear that you and your boys have such a great time at The Nonantum. No doubt your boys enjoy Henry's Kids Club with fun activities such as lawn games, crab fishing, arts and crafts and everyone's favorite Princess and Pirates Night. (Kids are treated to a fun night with our energetic staff so Mom and Dad can have a quiet dinner!)
Have you ever thought of taking a day trip to Old Orchard Beach or Monkey Trunks in Saco! Lots of fun for boys both places and both are very close by!
One of my favorite ways to enjoy Chef True's Blueberry BBQ sauce is on a grilled chicken sandwich at the pool. Next time you are in town, you will have to try it!
See you then!
Jean Ginn Marvin
Innkeeper

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed here starting June 29, 2012. We arrived at the Nonantum at about 3 pm on a Friday afternoon. There was one woman working the front desk. She was very nice, but trying to take care of several different customers at once and was quite concerned with the three wedding parties checking in. We were taken to our room by a very nice bellman named Sean.

The room was clean, but sparse. There was bottled water in the fridge, and they were charging 3.75 each for them. The queen bed was acceptable but not what I would call comfortable. The view was lovely. It had been recommended to us that we stay in the new building rather than the main building, because the noise from wedding receptions (their bread and butter) permeates the main building. We found the accommodations very quiet. That was nice.

The issues that we had were small, but plentiful. 1. The elevator was not in service. We didn't mind walking up to the third floor, but the property should have had a working elevator. 2. The WiFi doesn't work well in the new building. Vacation, so not a big deal, but an annoyance. 3. The wonderful breakfast buffet served many great items, however, the scalloped potatoes were from a box (with extra cheese added and quite good, but still) and the nice thick cut bacon was cold. 4. The parking was abysmal. With weddings on property, they do not have the facilities to park guest and do not have reserved spaces for those staying there. You couldn't leave and come back while the wedding was arriving or you would not be able to park. 5. The cheese and meat tray for $14 had a few sparse pieces of very good cheese and then a couple of pieces of salami and what appeared to be raw bacon. I don't recommend that as a bar snack.

Now, what was good. The location is amazing. Halfway between the beach and town. You can't ask for a better location. The service was outstanding! From the service staff in the dining room to the bartender to the bellhops, these people knew their business and did a great job of making you feel welcome.

We checked out early. The parking issue really weighed on us and the bed wasn't all that comfortable so with only a two hour drive we decided to head back. I spoke with the manager to let him know we were leaving and why. He told us that we would be charged for the night we weren't staying and offered to a) valet our car or b) rope off a spot for us to park. Wow. He wouldn't refund the room or even part of it, but I think he went above and beyond offering to fix the main issue we had. He also offered us a couple of drinks on the house. We had pretty much already decided to head home, so we thanked him for his offer and parted amicably.

I don't think I would stay here again unless I was party to a Wedding there. That being said, I think it's a great place for Weddings. The room rates are defiantly reasonable, even low for the area. Maybe if I were heading down midweek with some girlfriends this would be a good place to stay. It's a lovely property and if you don't require a king size bed and don't mind the parking issues, it's an excellent value for the money.

Room Tip: Stay on the third floor of the new building if you want quiet.
2  Thank zoe_the_wonder_cat
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Thank you for taking time to share some well thought out criticisms! As hard as we try, we just do not wow all of our guests - but we will continue to try to do so!
I am sorry you were in house when our elevator was down. Regretfully the computer that controls our elevator crashed and had to be replaced. It is my understanding that all guests were notified in advance of their arrival as to the situation. I am sorry if somehow no one let you know!
There were parking problems the weekend you were there. A large local wedding led to a Friday night parking crunch but as you said, we always offer to help guests find parking. There is always an employee car that can be moved to make way for a guest!
I am very surprised to hear your WiFi wasn't working. We did an enormous upgrade this past winter to insure there would be no issues this year. I am also a little confused about your remark about a lack of king bedded rooms! Usually people are asking for 2 bedded rooms instead of kings!
As you note, our staff tries very hard to meet the needs of all of our guests. In your case clearly we were not sucessful and for that I am truly sorry. If you would contact me at jean@nonantumresort.com I would be happy to try to resolve at least some of these issues.
Thanks again,
Jean Ginn Marvin
Innkeeper

Reviewed 28 June 2012

We spent two days at the Nonantum in June 2012 and unfortunately the Maine weather was not kind. This prevented us from using the full faciltiies of the hotel inclduing the pool, watersports and garden. However it did nothing to dampen the service or hospitality. Our initial welcome was muted as the poor weather had driven all the guests inside and front desk were busy handing out ideas for a rainy day. We made our own way up the room which was clean, well decorated and comfortable with all the amenities you would expect. The TV was a bit old but that would normally not be a problem! The service in the dining room was first class at both breakfast and dinner. The servers took special care to try and give "residents" a table with a view and the fact there were lots on nonresidents is an indication of the quality of the food. Special mention to the barman who makes great cocktails with fresh mint newly cut from the garden.

1  Thank weegiexpat
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Nonantum June 18-22 and absolutely loved it. We stayed in a Portside Lodge room overlooking the Kennebunk river and could see the lighthouse and boats from our patio. The room was very nice, the staff were always friendly, and you can't beat the value. Our rate included the buffet breakfast every morning. I can't say enough about the breakfast; the food was great and I never left hungry. We ate dinner at 95 Ocean one night and the food was excellent.

We knew we wanted to stay in Kennebunkport but debated on where to stay. I think the Nonantum's location is ideal: equal distance from both the Lower Village and the ocean. We often walked to the beach in the evening. Bottom line: everything was excellent and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We liked our room overlooking the river, but it would probably be hard to find a bad room at the Nonantum. Both buildings are surrounded by natural Maine beauty.
2  Thank brinkmanjg
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My wife and I decided to get away for a couple of nights. We wanted to go back to Kennebunkport and stumbled upon Nonantum Resort. Typically we stay in a B&B but thought for the price and time of year we couldn't go wrong. We weren't disappointed.

We arrived a little early and our booked room wasn't ready so they offered us a room upgrade. It was a great 2 room suite. Looked as though it had been renovated and updated fairly recently. Both rooms and the bath were extremely clean and comfortable.

The breakfast buffet was great. Didn't have a chance to eat dinner at the restaurant but the food looked and smelled wonderful, will definitely give it a try next time.

It was a very diversified and friendly resort.
Looking forward to returning soon, maybe with the whole family next time.

1  Thank NROMANO