All reviews putting green salt water pool grand old hotel no air conditioning main building galland house ocean breeze private beach ceiling fan dog lovers new england beautiful hotel blueberry pie hardwood floors wall paper pool side breakfast buffet is
Reviewed 6 October 2017

The view at this hotel is the only thing positive I have to say about the hotel. They completely messed up the reservations that were clear as to what our traveling parties made, the buffet was a disaster (the corn was the best part), the beds were hard as rocks and the pillows were harder, and there was nothing in the rooms to allow us to have hot water or coffee. But most troubling is the vulnerability women faced when housed in their 700 wing. No lighting and the building was wide open and not secure. They are a lawsuit waiting for a place to happen. With a good view.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the 700 building
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
8  Thank Nancy W
Reviewed 6 October 2017

I felt like I was on the deck of the titanic at this old school charming hotel in Maine. The common areas are very inviting and cozy, it has the feeling of a last era. I will say the rooms did leave a bit wanting. Our room was lovely enough and pleasantly sizable, though somewhat dated in the feel. It was strange to stay in a place that did not have a TV, this may be a deal breaker for some people. The noise from other rooms and hallway is annoying, the walls are very thin. We only stayed one night and can't say that I would return but I am certainly glad that I did stay one night.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2017

Ocean view room with beautiful view. It was fabulous to have the windows open and feel the breeze. The room was lovely and a perfect place to stay in Kennebunkport,Maine.The breakfast with Maine blueberry pancakes were awesome. Another feature we enjoyed was walking the grounds and then off to roads for fantastic long walks.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2017

The Colony was the (surprising) disappointment of our recent mini-vacation to coastal Maine. We stayed for two nights in a king room in the Galland Cottage. The room was exceptionally clean but the building is in need of maintenance. Screens were hanging out of the windows, the blinds in our room were torn, a lot of rust on fixtures. Unattractive and not what you would expect.

It was a very hot weekend and the hotel was packed and busy. Maybe that adversely affected their customer service. Our room was on the second floor, up a tiny little staircase. No one offered to help with our bags. We tried to get clean towels around 7 am and were told there was no one to bring them to us, which I thought was ridiculous for a hotel of this caliber. Bar service around the pool was so poor as to be almost non-existent. If you could manage to get service yourself at the bar inside, they seemed overwhelmed and unorganized. After waiting for service my husband couldn’t remember our room number to charge his drink, and said they couldn’t accept cash…. Weird.

The included breakfast was very good, and service in the beautiful breakfast room was fast and friendly (our server the first day did make it clear - crystal clear - that a tip was expected even though breakfast was complimentary with our rate. Of course people tip anyway, and I don’t need to be reminded of that!).

Nearly every customer service experience we had here led to frustration.

Wifi was not great anywhere, but was especially bad in our room.

I was sadly disappointed in our stay here. It is obviously an absolutely beautiful property, but I keep coming back to value for money spent. With tax, etc. our rate was $315.01 per night. Converted to Canadian on our credit card that is in the vicinity of $400 per night. In no way do I feel our two nights were worth $800 Cdn. - especially highlighted by the fact that we were just coming from an absolutely fantastic experience at another boutique hotel in another coastal Maine town that was cheaper by about $100 per night.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2017

So much to say! This venue was ideal for a wedding or a weekend or a week!!! Landscape is breath taking! The rooms have comfortable beds, and lots of character! FOOD is DEVINE! SERVICE OUTSTANDING! We had our daughter's weekend wedding here with 200 of our closest friends! Our guests could not say enough about how wonderful everything was! Laura is AMAZING! Professional, kind and just awesome! Would go here and plan events here over and over again! Thank you for making a dream come true!

Stayed: September 2017