I booked an extended weekend getaway for me and my husband at Cape Arundel Inn to escape the daily hustle and bustle of NYC, rejuvenate and relax. Mission accomplished, BUT, I need to dock two stars for a couple of things that I expected staying at a luxury property.
First, the positives:
1) Location: Cape Arundel Inn is perfectly situated right on the coast, offering captivating views of the Atlantic Ocean. The location and size of the property offered the perfect amount of privacy - away from the busier, downtown Kennebunkport area, but close enough to get to via car (about 5-7 mins) or bicycle (about an exhilarating 15-minute ride). We stayed at the Clubhouse, a secluded annex to the main Inn, which was located about a 1/3 mile away in a residential area. While the clubhouse offered no ocean views, we were mere steps away from the pool.
2) Amenities: Overall, the amenities provided with our stay --- the pool, complimentary daily breakfast (continental or a la carte at the Ocean restaurant), bicycle use, beach towels, board games, and other activities --- were very good. We had an incredible dinner at Ocean (one of the best meals I had in KPT!), with views to match. The room was OK- bed and bedding were very comfortable, the bathroom was spacious and heated floors were great; however, the fireplace didn't work and the lighting could be better.
3) Service: Throughout our stay, we were greeted with exceptional service from staff. There were various touchpoints between staff and guests that indicated good customer service and attention to detail, including champagne at check-in; a chilled bottle of champagne waiting in our room; a goodie bag at check out. The wait staff, pool attendants, and guest service agents were all incredibly friendly, helpful and very accommodating.
Now for the negatives:
4). Amenities: On one of the days we stayed, it rained...ALL DAY. During days like this, sometimes all you want to do is stay in, watch TV and order room service. Unfortunately, the "lunch" menu offered poolside is extremely limited, and delivery options available (pizza) were so meh. We ended up driving into town to grab lunch, and immediately went back to the hotel. I hope the property considers offering in-room dining options, and a more expansive lunch menu (lobster rolls, fries, chowder, burger - standard Maine fare).
5) Adults-Only policy is NOT enforced. This is perhaps the most disappointing, because we did not get what we expected. The MAIN reason why I chose Cape Arundel Inn above all the other properties for our private, quiet getaway is that it billed itself as an adults-only property. As it states on their web site: "Traveling with Children: Cape Arundel Inn & Resort is an adults-only property. Find a family-friendly hotel within the Kennebunkport Resort Collection." Unfortunately, on multiple occasions, we saw as many as six kids staying at the property, including two loud ones staying across the room from us. This was pretty disappointing, and to be frank, false advertising. Either management should strictly enforce this policy, (hint: make it more visible to potential guests upon booking), or forego this policy altogether.
In all, my first trip to Kennebunkport was great. I would consider staying at Cape Arundel Inn again (would probably get an ocean view room in the main inn), and recommend to friends and family.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Guests choose from two distinctive locales to book their stay: The landmark Cape Arundel Inn’s Main House on Kennebunkport’s exclusive Ocean Avenue or the nearby Club House, a vintage manor tucked within 15 wooded acres. Guests staying in the Main House building’s guest rooms enjoy breathtaking ocean views, onsite restaurant, Ocean, and a spacious lawn area – replete with Adirondack chairs in which to sit and soak in the fresh sea air. At the Club House, a short drive away, guests can enjoy the clubhouse featuring vintage pool table, full bar, light lunch, library and spacious patio surrounding the heated lap pool. Resort highlights include a full a la carte breakfast at Ocean restaurant, spacious, tranquil grounds at the Club House and elegantly appointed guest rooms throughout. While the time away on your chaise lounge at the Club House, soaking up the summer sun’s rays, then enjoy a stroll to Cape Arundel Inn for an afternoon porch cocktail as you drink in breathtaking ocean views. In the evening, savor a wonderful dining experience at Ocean, prepared by Chef Pierre Gignac. Ocean offers fine cuisine inspired by southern French and Mediterranean flavors, beautifully presented and enhanced by the outstanding wine list. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Cape Arundel Inn & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cape Arundel Hotel Kennebunkport
- Cape Arundel Inn