All reviewsjunior suitedining experiencelobsterwood burning fireplacemain buildingmy husband and iwine pairingrelais chateaux propertysitting areathe cottagescouple of nightsthe entire staffliving roomnew englandthe riverthird floorcontinental breakfast
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have the pleasure of staying in one of the cottages - the location was just perfect so private an quiet and right on the Kennebunk river, talk about views! The cottage was more than we hoped for. The bathroom is huge with a true soaking tub, shower for 2 and great lighting! The sitting area has a beautiful stone wood burning fireplace too bad it was summer I would have loved to use it. The bed was very comfortable and there are 2 sitting areas in the cottage. Did I mention 24 valet is available for the cottage too. When we arrived there were lovely treats and cold beverages waiting for us plus you are welcome to enjoy afternoon treats at the main inn.
I would never expected such luxury in a small town like Kennebunkport. We will be back to warm up by the fireplace.

Room Tip: tell Corrine or Katie what you prefer and they will make sure to help you choose the right room
3  Thank lb121
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The location of this hotel could not be better - we walked to both the beach and into the town of Kennebunkport which were amazing. The hotel itself is expensive and seems to enjoy its Relais and Chateau status, but having stayed at 2 other R & C properties this summer, this one does not compare. The room was run down and although not dirty, it was not particularly clean. I realize that old inns have a certain "old charm," but this one just felt dated and in desperate need of a renovation. Continental breakfast was included in our room rate, and we found it to be heavy, with extremely limited choices. We did not eat in the restaurant which I know is a big draw for the hotel b/c my husband had not brought a jacket (for the beach in July) which was required (we were not informed of this in advance). In all, it was not worth it and we will not return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Nicole S
WBIInnkeeper, General Manager at Grace White Barn Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Nicole S,

We are most grateful for your kind comments about our location. We are, however, very sorry that you did not enjoy the White Barn Inn and that we failed to me your expectations.

The hotel offers a number of different room decors and configurations; and I would encourage you, please, to contact me in future so that I may assist with helping you find the most modern and contemporary accommodation.

Our continental breakfast offers a wide variety of freshly baked pastries and breads, freshly cut fruit, homemade granola, homemade yogurt, berries, and cold cuts. We would welcome your comments on which items we can add that you missed. It would mean a great deal to us if you would give us a chance to regain your trust in order for us to welcome you back to our Inn for a more enjoyable and pleasantly memorable guest experience.

Kind regards,
Corinne Finn-Heyl

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked this hotel as part of a trip to celebrate my birthday ( a momentus one!) and it was the only one which disappointed. We certainly received real American hospitality from others but here we were given Room 9 which must (at least I hope) be the smallest and most ill-equipped in the hotel. On arrival there was a half bottle of sparkling wine and a few nibbles but when looking around for somewhere to sit and enjoy there was only a dressing table stool or hard window seat in front of the air-conditioning unit. Hardly 5 star furnishings. The room was in the eves and the only approach to the bed was by bending at a 45degree angle or being three foot tall. I hate to think what would happen if you woke in the night and forgot to duck!!!!
We discussed our dissatisfaction with the management on duty and were offered the Blue Suite at an additional cost of $100 a night. We declined this offer as we felt that the first room was not fit for purpose and eventually they agreed to provide the suite free of charge.
At no time during our stay did any member of senior management approach us to discuss this.
Whilst we were happy with the change of room there is no way I would have been willing to pay the upgrade fee nor indeed the full cost as the decoration and fittings are very tired with stained chairs and carpets, leaking taps and a strange noise emanating from the fireplace.
On a positive note the reception staff and junior management were extremely friendly and efficient. Thank you.
We feel this hotel is perhaps living on past glories and does not equate with European 5 star standards.
I would not recommend this hotel as I feel until it improves its maintenance programme there are far superior establishments in the area which offer better standards and value for money.

Room Tip: Do not book Room 9
5  Thank LesleyDick

Dear Lesley Dick,

Thank you very much for sharing your honest observations about your visit with us in a Traditional Room at The White Barn Inn, followed by a complimentary upgrade to one of the Inn's Junior Suites. While it is customary and standard operating procedure to offer an upgrade for an additional fee, the $100.00 upgrade fee alluded to in your Trip Advisor review was considerably less than the going rate for a White Barn Inn Junior Suite. When we realized you were unconditionally displeased with the option of upgrading for an additional $100.00, we provided you the Junior Suite as a complimentary upgrade. We are, nonetheless, grateful and proud that our hospitality team stood out in your memory as being "extremely friendly and efficient." It goes without saying we take quite seriously a review whose headline is "very disappointed," and we consistently evaluate how we can improve the overall guest experience so that discerning Relais & Chateaux guests like yourselves will feel they have received full value for their dollar. One of the Five Cs that distinguish Relais & Chateaux hospitality is "Calm," and while we apologize that a senior management individual did not seek you out to discuss your concerns, we believe that guests at White Barn Inn stay with us to enjoy a calm, serene, and restful atmosphere. Trusting, in good faith, that we had succeeded in correcting the guest room issue by the complimentary upgrade to a Junior Suite, we did not want to intrude upon your remaining leisure time by re-visiting an issue that we hoped had been successfully remedied. Needless to say, we shall necessarily re-think that philosophy, based upon your having felt ignored by us. Actually, it was quite to the contrary. Because we respected your privacy, we did not want to trespass further upon your time about a situation that had been stressful to you. I can assure you that your concern was shared immediately by my team. Please be assured we shall take into serious consideration, as well, the variety of building shortcomings you cite. Despite your current perspective, we do look forward to your possibly choosing to return to The White Barn Inn & Spa to enjoy a visit that will indeed merit a much more positive and pleasurable guest experience.

Kind regards,

Corinne Finn-Heyl

Reviewed 22 July 2014

How do you define perfection? The White Barn Inn in Kennebunk might be it! from the time I called and spoke to Katie to make my reservation until the time we departed the parking lot after a two night stay- all was just so well done. At first we were not going to stay here because the web site had them booked, luckily because it was mid-week we had a nice selection of rooms. our room was in the annex and at first when I saw the three flights of stairs I was concerned about getting my luggage upstairs, no worries; Will, who also parked the car, carried the stuff upstairs effortlessly and even was able to get us a refrigerator for our room without any kind of hitch. the rooms were so well done, clean, well stocked and extremely comfortable. On this visit, we did not eat at the restaurant, but did enjoy a great breakfast there on both mornings. The pool area is beautiful, relaxing and the pool side service attendants were eager to help. My only complaint, if I had to have one, was the internet was a little spotty in the room only. Other than that very minor issue, we look forward to staying at this great property again sooner than later. Next time, I would like to try the waterfront accommodations.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a truly amazing stay. Upscale property in every way with a bed and breakfast feel. The location was perfect - close to everything but not directly where the crowds are. The staff were all friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple