New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Kennebunk
Stratham, New Hampshire
“it is just....OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

Had a mixed experience here. My wife and I were about the only guests. For the most part the service was excellent, but a few noteworthy exceptions. We had an 8:45 dinner reservation which we had made the previous week. At approximately 6, someone called the room to tell us that if we wanted to come earlier that was fine with them. We said no thank you but when we arrived on time for our reservation we were the only people in the entire restaurant so it became clear that they wanted us earlier so they could go home since there were no other guests that night. We felt awkward--like we were keeping them from leaving rather than welcomed guests spending a sum larger than the GDP of some developing nations for dinner. We were also the only guests at breakfast an the English lady who waited on us was a bit awkward. Forgot my juice and salt that I asked for and acted like I had never asked rather than simply apologizing. Also informed us that they would not be setting out the buffet that was included as no other gusts were staying. I don't necessarily blame them, but the way it was presented was just....awkward. The food is very good, but not amazing. The room we had (a junior suite) was ok but a little like my grandmother's house. The gas fireplaces would be nice but they throw way too much heat for the size of the room. It was unseasonably warm out during our visit, but if it were below zero I don't believe you could use the fireplace without melting. Bottom line is it is ok but they could do a better job with a little effort.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank david y
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2011

We recently stayed at the white barn inn along with 3 other couples. We personally stayed in the tern cottage - at the pricey cost of $650 per night. It had a 1970's marigold yellow bathroom with a walmart shower curtain, no mirror to see and moldy tile. It is not waterfront - it is mudfront. There is no great patio as shown on the internet. I am from Maine and have wanted to stay there for a long time. I would not refer anyone there - it is grossly overpriced. The drinks were $25-$40 each. Dinner was good but not exceptional. The barn itself is beautiful - but that is about it. Rooms in the main area are small. The clientel is mostly from the NY / NJ area and maybe they are used to small rooms in NYC. There are alot better places to stay - especially in Portland.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank sines9
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

I will start by saying the food at the restaurant is really outstanding. It is a very expensive restaurant and they require jackets for men but I will say it is worth the money. The room I reserved was not in the main building but a few blocks away and across the street. I loved the view from my cottage and the tranquility and privacy as well. It had a beautiful view of the bay. I had a car so it was not a problem to go to the main building and if you order room service they will bring it to your room in no time. The problem I have with this hotel is that the person who decorated my room had no idea what a hotel room supposed to look like. First, there were no drawers in the entire suite (and I had the largest of the cottages). The suite had a kitchen, which was useless (there was no water or kitchen sink), so I had to use the kitchen cabinets to put some of my clothes. There is a closet but you can only put clothes on hangers. The bathroom is almost a ridiculous excuse for a hotel bath. I think it belongs in a 1960's motel by the side of the road. I could not believe they put the mirror behind the bathroom door. How do you suppose to shave? Above the sink there were two windows, so they could not hung the mirror there. Somebody needs to redesign the entire suit. Eliminate the kitchen because nobody who goes there and pays that kind of money wants to cook anyway. Use the space to create a beautiful bathroom with a shower and a nice tub (there is no tub now) and make a nice size closet and please add some drawers some place.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank javier200
, General Manager at White Barn Inn, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Javier200,

I want to personally thank you for your suggestions for our Friendship Cottage. The comments and suggestions of our guests are very important to us.

Since your stay, we have completed major renovations at our Friendship Cottage and have implemented quite a few of your ideas.

As you know, our Friendship Cottage is located right on Kennebunk River and now features a beautiful outdoor seating area overlooking the water. We created two beautiful seating areas inside the Cottage; one overlooking the water, and the other one facing the original wood burning fireplace.

The Bathroom Suite now features a oversized soaking tub as well as a marble walk in rain shower room which is designed for two.

I sincerely hope that you can visit us again and experience our redesigned Friendship Cottage. If you decide to return it would be a great pleasure if I personally may take care of your reservations.

Kind regards,

Corinne Finn Heyl
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

My husband and I had a delightful stay at the inn. It is quaint and quite lovely. The staff was very professional and extremely accommodating. It is exactly what it was represented to be. We booked the fall package which included our room, breakfast and dinner. When booking, I considered it to be somewhat expensive but it was most definitely worth it.The restaurant and dinner were "FIve Star" in every respect. It was one of the finest restaurant we have ever dined. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would most definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without a sloping ceiling. The main inn has three floors and no elevator, if that mat...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank terrell c
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

There are many choices of inn, resort or hotel in this lovely area of Maine, but I was intrigued by the many excellent reviews of this inn...so we stayed here f or thee nights in early September. The weather was lovely and the crowds gone after labor day...so Kennebunkport should be high on your list if open stretches of beach, local shopping and crude perfect location is important. The inn is just as it has been described...charming and inviting. We were in room 4 in the main house. This is a double deluxe room with a gas fireplace that is two sided ..one side in the bathroom where the large jacuzzi tub is.
Double sinks, all the amenities. The double bed was perfectly fine. We usually stay in king rooms but we found the bed and linens comfortable and excellent. No need to ask for the king in my opinion. Because it's an inn, all the rooms differ in size and amenities. The staff is just wonderful. They know your name immediately, this is a relays and chateau hotel. Some of the staff are European, some local young people who have been properly and well trained. The spa has an excellent reputation but I was unable to get a last minute treatment. My fault for delaying..they were booked. The restaurant is the pinnacle. This top rated and beautiful restaurant is an experience. . We had the 5 course chefs tasting menu ( also a three cohere if you want...but both are prix fix) and a 2006 silver oak cab that was amazing.
Perfect way to celebrate an event. Walk to town..walk to beach...across the street is a beautiful Franciscan monastary hiking path. Chowder, lobster...wonderful. The price is high...but if you live the Kenwood Inn in Sonoma...this is a similar east coast experience. Go for it.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank taloola
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
0.5 km away
0.9 km away
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to White Barn Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK