All reviews parsons beach rachel carson short walk mini fridge small bathroom perfect location cottage maintenance mile ogunquit stripers
Reviewed 9 September 2013

If you want to experience the Maine seashore in its natural state, this is the place for you. Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge property is right across the road, and the beach access is right through the marsh (on a paved road). Be aware that the private property owners who share the beach road are paranoid about enforcing the rules. Other than that, the shore experience couldn't be lovelier .
As for the Shorelands property, if your idea of a "resort" is the kind of place featured in Travel & Leisure magazine, you'll be sorely disappointed. OTOH, if you're looking for the feel of camping out without having to lug a tent and sleeping bags, this place is perfect. No frills, but clean and decent. With regard to a previous comment, yes, all rooms are nonsmoking and they mean it.
Another plus is that it's pet friendly. The owners have a dog and a couple of cats. The pet policy keeps the place clean and pleasant for everyone.

Date of stay: September 2013
1  Thank Elsa_O
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Be carefull I knew going into the hotel that it was a non-smoking room! and two days later they charged my CC a $100 fee for the room smelling like smoke. I do in fact smoke but I smoked outside, and when my husband called he spoke with Sonja and she was very NASTY to him and hung the phone up on him. She told him the smell came off my clothing or came thru my window. The website says smoking outside only. I was not the only one smoking outside..so if I was a non-smoker and somebody was smoking outside I would get charged the fee because the smoke went into our window. I will never stay again. I will dispute this charge and they made my trip to Maine very disspointing.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathy S
Shorelands, Manager at Shorelands Guest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

All of our units are Smoke Free. It states this on our web site, on our room keys, and on the Non Smoking Decal on each door. When a guest checks in, they are also informed of this on the registration card, and they sign their name under a note stating "$100 cleaning fee will be charged for smoke in the room".
We are very careful about this charge, and only do so if truly necessary. (i.e. a light smoke smell from a smokers clothing is usually cleaned without a full charge)
In this case, the guests had all of that information, signed the registration, and were provided with a very pleasant Smoke Free room. Upon check out, my staff noticed that the room smelled very much like smoke. We had new guests checking in THAT day, who deserved a smoke free room. Which caused us to go into major spring cleaning mode. 3 of my housekeepers cleaned that room, including my head housekeeper. all were witness to the strong smoke smell in the room. i just spoke to the laundry person that was here that day, and she remembers washing all linens, blankets, and comforters from the room TWICE with odoban to be certain there was no residue left. It is very unhealthy for anyone to breath second and third degree smoke. Given all of these witnesses and actions (we really do not unnecassarily spring clean a unit in the middle of summer), i felt ok with charging our smoke cleaning fee, and informed the guests via email of this charge, to which they had signed their name!
I then received threatening phone calls from them about this, including telling me that he would give us this review!. This is all very unfortunate; however, based on this experience we have changed our Smoke Cleaning fee to $200.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were placed into a shack with neighbors all around us and two on top, unlike the cottage we saw in the photos. The washroom had a light hanging by one screw with a fan rattling above. If the other screw was in there would be no venting. The air conditioner did not work and the room smelled like mold. It was the most expensive place we stayed on our vacation, Quality inns and other hotels were like heaven compared to this place.

The pool was ok but there was a dead mole in it when we were there. We tried to cancel a third night after seeing the place, but they would not let us. It had to be done two weeks before coming there. We could not wait to leave.

3  Thank David W
Shorelands, Manager at Shorelands Guest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Thank you for your time in reviewing us. We are sorry you did NOT voice your concerns to us while you were our guests. Possibly we could have helped, we most certainly would have tried to make your stay more comfortable. We are not in the city, so it is possible to encounter animals, since we are totally surrounded by Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuge; however, i know that our pool was and is sparkling clear. We checked the bathroom fan, and it does need another fastener. we only noticed a regular fan noise.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

What you get: A reasonably priced no-frills one-room cottage with a stove and a refrigerator a 5-minute drive from Kennebunkport. There are approximately 15-20 of these cottages along in a semicircular driveway/parking lot. There’s an outdoor (unheated) pool and some bikes and other equipment you can borrow free of charge.

What you don’t get: Anything more than the basics – the room is not luxurious by any stretch and has a hodgepodge of furniture and items. It looks like it hasn’t been updated since the ‘70s and the bedding was showing its wear. It is also not, despite what the website may claim, a reasonable walk to the beach (I’m 29 and my wife and I walk frequently).

Bottom line: It’s pretty much the definition of “you get what you pay for.” If you are looking for a clean and safe place to crash, this is it. If you’re looking for something more, look elsewhere.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott M

Thank you for giving us your time for these comments. we do appreciate this. I am a little confused about your comments regarding the walk to the beach. I am over twice your age and walk there regularly with my 9 & 10 year old grandchildren. It has never talken us more than 15 minutes, including visiting the horses along the way. Maybe you tried to walk to the Kennebunk Beaches instead of the private one across the street from us? we do provide our guests with a local map for orientation.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

This is our third year now. First of all, the beds are more comfortable than the ones at home! The full-size fridge (a first for us this year) came in handy. The people who clean the rooms and tidy the grounds are very hard-working. We couldn't let them in to clean as much this year due to the fact we had our dog with us. He loved the beach. See photo. The pool is great. Just walking distance to the ocean. Not far to drive to town. Only real criticism is the fact you have to park directly in front of your cottage which blocks your view....not a big problem.

Date of stay: July 2013
1  Thank Brenda M
Shorelands, Owner at Shorelands Guest Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Thank you so much for using some of your time to give us this review. We do appreciate it very much, and hope to have you as our guests again.