“changed hands”

Elm Tree Diner
Ranked #2 of 27 Restaurants in Houlton
Cuisines: Diner
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Not as good as the old Elm Tree...changed hands a few years ago. Service can be poor

1  Thank Lynne P
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Elm Tree Diner

Reviewed 8 July 2012

This restaurant frustrates me and it has to do with management directives and training. I have never had an issue with the food quality. The food served is very good. I do have an issue with the service however. I was in the restaurant on 7/6. It wasn't overly busy. When we arrived, we were asked by a non wait person what we would like for drinks. After that we were on our own. We sat for the next 10 minutes watching the waitresses walk by our table, never acknowledging us, always seeming like they were on a mission but never actually getting anything done. The restaurant had 3 waitresses and 3 bus persons cleaning tables. It was not really that busy compared to other Friday nights(All you can eat fish fry)
There didn't seem to be any teamwork. Each of the waitresses were assigned tables to look after, and they never acknowledged us or asked if we had been taken care of. They would walk back and forth between the kitchen and the dining area. The same waitress would be servicing the front and backrooms of the restaurant. What might be needed would be a receptioniist to assign tables upon entry rather than the customer taking the seat they like upon entering.It kind of reminded me of the same problems which many patrons received at the former Elm Tree North property which has since closed.
Like I said, the food is good but the service can at times be awful(I eat here often even with the deficiencies) especially in the evening.
If Grammies(from Linneus) ever moves to Houlton as rumored, the Elm Tree Diner will have a serious problem surviving. I would suggest they stop living with the succesful past reputation the restaurant has enjoyed and make the necessary corrections in order for the restaurant to survive.
By the way, I am a local and am interested in nothing more than the success of this restaurant.

2  Thank spudpicker1
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I made my first visit to the Elm Tree this week-end. I could not believe the portions. I ordered clams and french fries and couldn't eat half of it. Had to take it home in a doggie bag. The clams were the best I have ever eaten, the only thing I was disappointed in was the cole slaw. The cabbage tasted old and there was no dressing in it, it was terrible, but I could over look that since the rest of the meal was great! The waitress was great, the dessert was fabulous! I cannot wait to go back.

1  Thank Nonni19711981
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The portions were on the large side and way too much, but the staff was very friendly and the food was so great. We would go back there again for sure

1  Thank Shadethecat
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Homestyle cooking, excellent service, friendly staff and an all around warm feeling. Not our first visit and definitely won't be the last!