“Chowder is just ok”

Freeport Chowder House
Ranked #48 of 62 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: Seafood
Description: Fast, wait time around 5 minutes for anything on the menu We make every thing from scratch, chowders, Home made french fries Onion rings, all the fish and chicken is cut fresh by our chef. He has been in the restaurant Business.for 50 years, has worked at the Beach Club Hotel in Naples Fla. and came home to work for Capt. Newicks in South Portland where they won best clams in the State of Maine many times when he was the leed cook.
Reviewed 26 August 2017

I tried the chowder and felt there is room for improvement. It is somewhat bland and could use some onion, less potato and more clam bouillion. The sign says the chowder has won awards. Really?

Thomas B, Manager at Freeport Chowder House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

I keep the chowder somewhat bland because, i have a lot of people who are on a sodium restricted diet. Yes we have won many awards for our Clam Chowder, but i can always learn more. Please send me a recipe for your chowder at TBrown004@Maine.r.com . Thanks again for all your help Thomas Brown, Chef, Manager

Reviewed 13 August 2017

Don't get me wrong, I love Linda Bean's restaurant on Main St, but when it comes to real New England Seafood you need to walk a block down and a block east to find the real deal. The proprietor is a little like Seinfeld's "Soup Natzi", but once you take the first bite you know you'll be back.

Loved the Haddock fish sandwiches, but the Lobsta Roll is the real hero!

1  Thank Scott F
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We stopped here for a quick lunch while shopping. We like small places but this place need some improvement. I had fried clams which were plentiful and good. Nice fried batter. Husband had mini lobster roll and chowder. He thought it was good, not many clams but good flavor. Lots of tender lobster in the roll. Negatives were personality of staff, warm sodas and no ice. If you are going to give me a soda bottle I'd like it to be not room temp. You have fridges; no ice though? And again, real lack of positive personality from both people there. Bill was over $40. I wouldn't try it again.

1  Thank grapefarmer

Thank you for your help. As you know we are very small, but will try to keep cold food cold, hot food hot. Thomas Brown. Chef and Manager.

Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

We haven't been to Freeport in quite a few years. So happy to see the Chowder House was still there. The special was a cup of chowder and half a lobster roll. Compared to my whole lobster roll , the half of lobster roll was quite small in comparison. However , with that said, everything was delicious. Hopefully, we will return sooner than later!

1  Thank Kayaker101
Reviewed 13 July 2017

Had a fairly quick stop at the chowder house and was pleased to enjoy a cup of chowder and a great sandwich! Was perfect for a casual and quick lunch that was able to fulfill my cravings for clam chowder.

1  Thank jpoliti94

Been to Freeport Chowder House? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK