“Charming Alternative”

Add it.
El Jefe
Ranked #28 of 60 Restaurants in Freeport
Reviewed 5 October 2017

A nice departure from the usual Freeport faire. Intimate, not presumptuous, strong drinks, thoughtfully prepared, fresh food. Nice weeknight crowd and vibe. Full but not bursting at the seams. I'll be back!

Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

We were trying to come up with a new place for a Friday night date. My sister mentioned El Jefe's - and Wow! So happy to have found this diamond. Excellent beer selection, 30 different local and craft brews... generously poured spirits and mixed drinks- the margaritas are Very Nice! We shared the Yuca fries as an appetizer- they were crispy and seasoned perfectly!! Then shared fish and beef tacos! It was perfection on a plate! Great service, casual atmosphere, and friendly staff... for VERY REASONABLE prices. We will be back.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

I'm not even sure where to start. We were looking to get away from the typical Freeport restaurant fare. Mostly we were looking for something a little healthier and able to span a bunch of different dietary restrictions. Mexican often fits the bill, so we head out of town for El Jefe. We've eaten at a lot of restaurants and this is easily one of the top 10 most memorable meals I've had. I know, it sounds silly but every one of us thought the food was some of the best we had. We certainly didn't expect it - the restaurant is small and unassuming, but the food was out of this world. (And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that we had a great server.) Don't miss the mahi-mahi tacos. (And the chef was incredibly accommodating some really difficult dietary restrictions.) So, hop off the Freeport strip - drive about 10 minutes out of town - and treat yourself to some of the best Mexican food you'll find.

2  Thank AdventuresWithKids
Reviewed 30 August 2017

Nice to have a local Mexican restaurant. Daughter and I eat had a burrito, excellent, and my wife had tacos, also excellent. Atmosphere was very cozy. Highly recommend

Reviewed 20 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I love some great Mexican food, so when we saw this place open up down the road from us we were excited to give it a shot. We were not disappointed! Excellent margaritas, and the pork tacos were simple but delicious. Even their chips and queso knocked our socks off. The chips were seasoned and had a hint of cinnamon flavor in them, which was actually awesome. Service was friendly and quick. Drink list was extensive. I will say that it's a bit small, but don't let that deter you- it's worth the trip!

1  Thank Traveller607315