“Clean, cheap rooms & lovely owners”

Homestead Motel and Cottages
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Ellsworth
Reviewed 19 September 2017

The price of the rooms should give you a big hint as to what to expect when you show up. Once you realize that this isn't going to be like a Comfort Inn, it's not as terrible as it first seems, and its quirks begin to charm you a bit. Make no mistake, this place is VERY clean & they swap out their mattresses often. I had a fantastic sleep here.
Honestly, I enjoyed my stay here, especially after visiting with the owners for a while. Do yourself a favour and ask Doug about the property -- it has quite the story!

Yes, it does need some updating, which is in the works. This is the place to book if you're looking for cheap, and unassuming accommodations. If you're looking for modern comfort, maybe don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

I really wish I could give this place a better review. The people who own it do seem nice but I really need to share so others do not have this experience.

The cottage they directed me too was kind of cute in the outside so I had some hope when unlocking the door.
As I was assaulted by the scent of mothballs I scanned the room and saw this was not to be a good night. I considered just booking elsewhere and also thought about just driving the 6 more hours home. Anything but here...instead, I decided to suck it up, opened some windows and sprayed some fragrance.
After the room aired out for awhile , it was better. But even though I believe the room was clean it was just sadly in need of... everything. Floor, walls, furniture, tv...it all was old and sad. None of the usual things you find in a room, which I'm sure was my fault as I just assumed there would be at minimum a coffee maker and mini fridge.
The worst part was the bed. It felt like it was forty years old and I felt springs under my body. I did not get a good nights sleep.
Maybe they have nicer rooms, I know it's a budget room, but I have stayed in plenty of budget hotels and this was the saddest room I've ever stayed in. Perhaps they give the worst rooms to people with pets? Who knows...but even my dog was acting odd in this room. At least she had her nice dog bed!
I am sorry this place isn't nicer, as it has a ton of potential. Honestly, I would not stay here again if it was $10 per night.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2016

I just spent 12 days at the Homestead and was very satisfied.If you're looking to stay somewhere ultra modern with all the wi-fi hook ups and designer decor this isn't for you.If you want a cozy cottage with a comfy bed,clean room and bath with cable TV and lots of hot water where your canine companion is a welcome family member and the heater is more than up to keeping you warm through a cold raw Fall night its home away from home. The decor may be dated but the point isn't to be trendy its to provide good basic accommodations at a very reasonable price. The owners are friendly and a good source for some local color and provide that morning cup of coffee in the office. Location is great the road takes you straight into downtown Ellsworth with direct access to Bangor or Arcadia Park and lots of local eateries and shopping, some great outlet stores as well. This will be my go to place whenever we're in the area. Visitors keep this a pet friendly place and pick up after Fido its only courteous and here you're not gouged for having a furry friend, I want to be able to go back with mine. Thanks for having us; Bob and Bebhinn, see you in the Spring.

Room Tip: Cottages are very quiet,cozy and comfortable,there's a large gravel courtyard that's conveni...
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2016

This place is on Buckport road just before it descends into historic downtown Ellsworth. Staying here is like traveling was in the late '50s or early '60s. Don't expect any amenities here. No internet access either, unless you want to stand in the main residence "breakfast nook/office" and do your surfing. The proprietors (Doug and Rachael) are research scientists and definitely not small business people. We have been staying here for years and do manage to enjoy ourselves despite the rather dated and spartan conditions.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the cottages, distant from the road.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2016

We stayed in "cottage" #7 last night. Read the review from 2011 for cottage 7. It hasn't improved. Traveler's photos online are accurate. We thought it was laughable until bedtime-before we saw long black hairs on the sheets along with a live brown spider. My husband thought it should be condemned, my daughter thought it should be donated to the fire department for a training exercise. The people were nice. $107, please put some of that money back into the place! Be sure to look at the rooms before parting with your money. It's scary!

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family