“Unbelievably fantastic food”

Ranked #16 of 37 Restaurants in Damariscotta
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Van Lloyd's is a small, quaint bistro on the banks of the Damariscotta River. The focus is on providing as many items as absolutely possible from scratch, in-house, with local, organic ingredients in a warm, casual & inviting atmosphere. Craft cocktails, wine, local beer as well as mocktails, tea, & locally roasted espresso & coffee. The owner's previous time spent living in southern Louisiana is revealed in southern influenced menu items, but is especially apparent in the weekend brunch menu. Menus change every few months in order to make full use of the wonderful seasonal ingredients Maine has to offer. Enjoy a completely hand-crafted meal, a unique & flavorful cocktail, or a decadent dessert from one of two restaurant decks in Damariscotta with a full river view.
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Pumpkinfest weekend can make getting dinner in the area a challenge. Van Loyd's had plenty of open tables early in the evening, and we decided to give it a chance. First, the wait was far too long. I appreciated long drawn-out dinners, but we were starving and wanted food quickly. I think we waited an hour for our entrees to arrive. Starting with local oysters that were so-so, we were given some wonderful bread and narrowly avoided getting hangry. Well, let me tell you, when my seared pork medallions arrived, all was forgotten. Wonderfully cooked, with kale and a chutney-type savory sauce. Look, I hate kale, and I come from the Eat More Kale state (Vermont). This kale/chutney mix was fantastic, and together with the pork, the best meal I've had in a long, long time. Our dessert of chocolate and strawberries was the icing on the cake, as they say. Simply fantastic. Long wait aside, I will not forget our meal, the décor, and the tasty drinks. There is a reason this is in the top 3 places to eat in the area, just be prepared to wait a while.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

This was our second visit to Van Lloyd's bistro, but first since the ownership changed in the past four months. A youg couple (Meredith and Chef ?) now run and own Van Lloyd's and the improvements in the food and decor are obvious.

The atmosphere has evolved from eccentric to modern eclectic, with softer and warmer tones on the walls. Similarly, the food has evolved to a mix of traditional fresh and local dishes (e.g., fresh Maine shrimp on homemade pasta) to regional favorites (like beignets, walnut torte with creme anglaise, and chocolate souffles) with unique twists and presentations.

The base menu is limited, but on this night, they offered two entree specials as well as appertizer specials.

The owners and staff (Bree) were very knowledgeable and hospitable. With only a few months experience in the slow season under the their belts, I expect they will continue to expand their offerings and execution. They may emerge soon as the best of Damariscotta! Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 21 April 2017

I loved the way they made healthy foods taste amazing! Very unique decorations as well. And local foods. the scallops I had were so good, and my husband's dish was great, too. We shared a bottle of wine, and found it quiet so we could talk.

Reviewed 3 February 2017

We had a delightful dinner of gumbo (perfectly balanced in spice and texture), the charcuterie board, and the cheese slate. The service was outstanding too. Note to self: go back for lunch soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2016 via mobile

Fresh local food creatively prepared. A great choice for the area. If the bignets are on the dessert menu, don't pass them up!