“A lovely pub and well worth a visit”
Review of The Drouthy Bear

The Drouthy Bear
Ranked #4 of 50 Restaurants in Camden
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 15
Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Days like this are seldom found. We hiked in Acadia National Park in the morning then travelled 2 hours down route 1 to Camden, a pretty town on the coast. Thirsty but not hugely hungry we spent a good few hours at the Drouthy Bear. A warm welcome awaits and although no reservations are taken it didn't take too long for a table to come free (we actually sat at the bar, our preference). The scotch eggs were a delight as was the rarebit. We also tried the nanchos with homemade haggis. It was good but not peppery enough for me, I'd probably serve Macsweens and be done with it but that is just being a little too picky. The beer, a Belhaven 90 shilling and a local IPA were in excellent condition. Vast range of whisky for those who are tempted.

I hesitate to call the Droughty Bear a Scottish pub. It most assuredly is, but with a genuine touch, polar opposite to the so-called Irish pubs of New York, a poor facsimile of the real deal. The owner is a Scot as is the barman. I would be tempted to suggest that the Scottish tone be tuned up just a touch, a unique USP so why not?

The pub has a cozy air and other customers friendly and chatty, just the way a good pub should be. We'd strongly recommend a visit even if it's just for a pint or a wee dram.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 September 2017

I have generally found restaurants in the area to be overpriced for the faire (always exceptions to the rule)
They are trying very hard to be a Celtic Style Pub and they are doing OK at it.
I had the fish and chips which they claimed were rated "Best Fish and Chips" in the land and you could vote on them in a competition as I have had much better fish and chips at a much better price point.
All being said ... The Scotch Eggs were very good however.
Did have to tell the waitress how to make a Black and Tan and they did make it for me.
It is not a bad spot but it is just not a super good write home to mom about the cool restaurant kinda place in my mind.

1  Thank blindcreek42
Reviewed 29 September 2017

weird little house of a place with great food and quirky cocktails. Great little spot, pub atmosphere.

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I just ordered beers here but they were fantastic. Normally I wouldn't get so excited about a pub with 6-7 beers on tap but they were all outstanding. A great scotch ale, Spanish lager, and Fin du Monde on tap?! Sign us up.

Reviewed 22 September 2017

We had high hope for this place, which looked fun & charming on the outside. On the inside...not so much. LOL.
We Stopped in for dinner midweek. Greeted with " you can sit anywhere at a table made for 2 people". Which meant sitting by the kitchen service window (that's where all the two tops are) or outside in the humid damp air. Disinterested waitress with an attitude, kitchen staff banging around and yelling " SERVICE!" for every order that was ready for pick up. At one point we could all hear someone grumbling in the kitchen loudly " I THOUGHT THIS WAS GOING TO BE A SLOW NIGHT" . It was only 6 pm at that point and this tiny pub was not even half full, so...WTH? The Hamburger with fries was ordinary and just okay, the makers mark Manhattan was not okay- it was small and weak. Caesar salad with grilled chicken was a soggy, shredded mess service with two cement -like grilled left over toast points. Honestly, it's a pub, so go there to drink from their massive beer and whiskey lists. And then leave. Quickly. Not impressed with the service, cocktail, or food. Won't be back. Y'all need to step up your game across all front or you'll be out of business sooner rather than later.

1  Thank lynnz22