All reviews pig poet small plates in house restaurant fire pit contemporary design great outdoor seating rocking chairs king room historic charm fifteen minute walk boutique hotel edna st peyton place front desk manager vincent millay i highly recommend this hotel front porch
Reviewed 1 December 2015

I LOVED my stay at The Whitehall Inn from the beginning I walked through the front door. The decor is amazing, blending a nautical motif with bold, vibrant colors and a uniquely creative design which had me continually saying “WOW”. The staff greeted us with a warm smile which continued throughout our stay, offering suggestions for places to go and restaurants to dine.
The first night we stayed at the Inn, eating at Pig n Poet. Once again, the decor was both inviting and unique; I particularly liked the lighting. The food was delicious; the wait staff friendly and efficient. We were celebrating a special birthday and they surprised us with a special desert on the house. I would definitely return.
The bed linens and mattress were truly comfy, like a European hotel. The bath products had great scents. Once again, the decor of our guest room was inviting, soothing, and unusually attractive.
I give The Whitehall my highest rating and look forward to returning in the spring.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank czreider
Amanda W, Public Relations Manager at Whitehall, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2015

We're so thrilled to hear you loved your stay at our Camden Maine boutique hotel. We'll reopen for next season in May 2016 featuring some exciting updates, please come back to visit!

Reviewed 12 November 2015

We spent a fantastic couple of nights here. We read some of the bad reviews on here before going and were a little nervous but the hotel really is wonderful. The décor is great. The bed was very comfortable. Location was perfect - we really enjoyed ourselves.

Some constructive notes for improvement for the management:
1) Our bathroom was _freezing cold_ - would be great to get some kind of warm air in there.
2) Remove "Cappie's" from your recommended dining options - it's awful
3) Breakfast almost works but looks better than it tastes. Would be great if you included Latte/Macchiato/Chai/etc options on the coffees and teas
4) All staff were very pleasant and friendly and attentive apart from the girl (long blonde hair) at breakfast who sat on a stool by the wall and played on her iphone the whole time. Even when she came to clear our table (both mornings) she didn't even say "good morning"... not a single word! Everyone has a back-story so who knows what she's dealing with but it still felt very odd and unwelcoming.
5) Our room was not made up because we locked our door using both keys (we got a friendly note of apology from the staff explaining this) That's fine but it would have been useful to explain this to us at the time you gave us to keys to lock our door with :-)
6) We couldn't get the Apple TV to work (would be nice to provide some very clear instructions with photos/images referencing the remote controls/channels etc)

Overall though I would ignore the nonsensical reviews below talking this place down - it was really beautiful and if we ever return to Camden we will definitely stay at Whitehall.

Please heat your bathrooms though!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TravellingCoupleX
Reviewed 3 November 2015

My wife and I along with another couple stayed at Whitehall for 2 nights. We used a Groupon to save 26% but the room still ended up costing over $450 for 2 nights. Upon arriving, there was a long process to check in. After receiving our key, we went to our room to find that the door was not locked and that the door handle would not catch the door frame. The only way to keep the door closed was by using the dead bolt, which there were 2 of. The room was OK size. The bathroom literally had spider webs in the corners by the floor, the toilet seat was loose, and the shower heads had no pressure. I literally had to stand about an inch from the wall to get wet. There also had to be a half an inch of dust on the clock radio. Now the positives, the bed was comfortable, the morning breakfast was good and the TV was good size. I left a list of my issues with the desk clerk and emailed the hotel when I got back home. They did reply but offered no incentive to come back. I will find another place to stay if I ever go back to Camden Maine.

Stayed: October 2015
5  Thank NBTraveler66

We're so very sorry to hear you had a disappointing experience with your stay, and we appreciate that you let us know of your concerns so that we can address them. With the 2015 season behind us, we are working hard over the winter to remedy some of the building issues that had to wait until we didn't have guests to be able to address. We've taken guest feedback very seriously, and when we reopen in May guests will find completely renovated bathrooms (including improved water pressure!), a brand new service team, and many other updates. We hope you'll visit us again in 2016 to experience the changes!

Reviewed 29 October 2015

I found this hotel on Groupon while searching for ideas for a getaway for my first anniversary. I live in Maine, but had never been to Camden and the restaurant (Pig & Poet) was something I really wanted to try so we booked a room for the first weekend in October. I read a lot of the negative reviews before we left, and I have to say, they did not ring true for our experience. We weren't looking for a bed and breakfast that still has the same wallpaper from 100 years ago, nor were we looking for a very uppity-service-to-the-max type of place, and we were very happy with what Whitehall offered. Check in was easy, and the person who checked us in was casual and friendly. We talked with her quite a bit about the hotel and about Camden and what we should check out in town. The hotel itself is beautiful. The combination of newer elements mixed with the older wooden bones of the antique building was really eye catching and lovely. Our room wasn't huge, but we knew we weren't going to spend the whole time in the room. There was ample room in the closet and bathroom, although there was no counter space and the shower was smaller. I expected this since the building is so old. There is no way they could have remodeled this building to make spaces bigger (complaints from some reviewers) without losing the integrity of the original space or losing entire rooms, which when you are a small hotel, you can't afford to do. We were happy to pull our shades down to block out the first floor traffic of people walking around the hotel and into the kitchen through a back entrance. The beds. OH MY the beds!! The most comfortable and luxurious you could ask for. The linens were softer than air and I think my husband and I slept better than we had in a year! The beautiful porches out front are a great place to sit and relax, and having a yard game available was a nice touch. Also, the fire pit/seating area on the side of the restaurant was another lovely spot. It was too cold the night we stayed to be outside after dinner, but I imagine on a warmer night what a cozy spot that would be. We ate at the restaurant and were both blown away by the flavors of the food. I could list very minor things that could be different, but honestly, there's no point because as another reviewer said, we survived! I've stayed at expensive high end places before that had just as many minor trivialities that did not take away from the experience. It's Maine, it's rustic chic, it's a wonderful place for a weekend away on the beautiful coast!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JaimeRC1981
Reviewed 20 October 2015

Seriously, we were in Camden when they got a monsoon of 5 inches of rain in one day. We'd been out exploring and came back from dinner to find the power was out...but the ambiance was perfect and even though they could not make mixed drinks at the bar, we survived!
The hotel is in a good location, but it is more than the "10 minutes walk" to the sites in town. More like 15-20 minutes, but worth going into town to see all the shops and browse around.
Our Room, #119, was on the ground floor (good thing, as the top floors were having problems with leaks during the rain!). It was a clean and adequate room (though the coffee maker always wanted to overflow on each individual cup!). Having a restaurant on site is nice, and the complementary breakfast was not like you get at the chain hotels. Fresh fruits, homemade breads of all sorts, egg dishes, juices. Yogurt, etc. Very, very good!
There are areas to sit outside, either on the courtyard patio or on either of the front porches. Nice rockers, comfortable though the street noise was a bit much. All in all I would highly recommend the place. Our bartender (Matt?) could not have been more friendly! Ask him to make a Moscow Mule...yum!!
The only thing that was negative was that in the bathroom there is only a pedestal sink, no countertops to place make-ups bag or shaving kit on. We survived!

Room Tip: Room 119 was nice, convenient...
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple