“Authentic Maine Convenient to Route 1”
Review of Jen's Place - CLOSED

Jen's Place
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Jen's Place specializes in homemade cooking in a down-home-Maine atmosphere. At Jen's, friends are made and families come together to enjoy the warm feeling of good food, eclectic decor and friendly service. Full breakfast menu featuring pancakes, omelets and scrambles, traditional Eggs Benedict, and Jen's signature corned-beef hash.
Reviewed 20 January 2015

As all us old timer Mainers know, we can't guarantee "Maine the way life used to be" unless your at or north of State Route 2, Jen's is one of the few exceptions. If one of the reasons your visiting Maine is to take yourself back to standards of a generation ago, then you can't miss Jen's. Like The Big G in Winslow, Maine, Jen's is an icon of the best in authenticity. The coffee mugs are from Reny's; your chair might be a metal folding one, the table might have a built in checkerboard complete with checkers. The rule for décor is "nothing matching". You can watch Jen cooking and she might turn around and give you one of those old time "I'm going to ring your gastronomic chime" smiles. And ring it she will. She creates her magic while "Papa" manages the dishes decked out in his suspenders just the way we all remember our favorite uncle use to dress. The menu is imaginative, focused on breakfast, and no one goes home hungry. Fantastic service by friendly, no baggage locals rounds out a "slice of Maine" experience you'll treasure. Oh, and check out the patron pin map on your right as you leave and you'll feel privileged to have had the opportunity to dine at Jen's. Places like this are not around forever. Pay her a visit and you'll have checked off an item on your bucket list you didn't know was even on it.

Date of visit: January 2015
1  Thank Stephen T

Reviewed 22 December 2014

I can't say enough about the character and quality of this place, or of the family that runs it. It's my favorite place to get breakfast. Let me preference by saying I'm a creature of habit, which means I get the corn beef hash every time. Real corn beef hash, none of this canned rubbish. Now this is a greasy spoon so don't expect some five star cafe restaurant experience. It's working class food, working class proportions, and good ole' working class folks. If you like that sort of food for breakfast then man oh man, this is the spot. Great for kids too. Breakfast food is breakfast food so I'm not going to go all crazy on the details, as I said it is what it is. Dinners and drive inns as opposed to iron chef but the portions are big and the price is right. On a side note this place does a hell of a lot for the community. Toy drives, hunger drives and beyond that they make you feel like your one of the family. Ask for the Cory special if you go, you won't be disappointed.

Date of visit: December 2014
2  Thank RobyHutchinson
Reviewed 20 December 2014

I've driven by Jen's Place so many times and have always been curious about it. Great curb appeal, clean, inviting, nice sign advertising " Breakfast served all day", I had wanted to visit them for a long time. Last Wednesday morning we woke and decided to go out for breakfast, something we rarely do. I suggested Jen's Place and my husband was willing to try a new place, lest we get into a rut always going to the same spot.

We opened the door and should have turned around right then!! It wasn't just the gigantic sign that proclaimed "Cash Only" or the crowded lobby of leftovers from the last firehouse craft fair, No friends it was so much more that was just wrong but we didn't follow our gut, we stayed. Needless to say if was all horrible. Food, awful coffee, loud TV blaring, all the cheap decor, not a comfortable table or chair in the place, ho hum service, I won't go on and on let's just saw this place is better left visiting only from the outside. Next time, NEVER!! Stick with your gut and return to the place that you know is great!!!

Date of visit: December 2014
Reviewed 28 November 2014 via mobile

Stopped by here a month or so ago and it was very busy and we couldn't wait. Had heard good things about it and always willing to try one-of-a-kind local dining so we wanted to return for another try. We went inside and there was no line so we were able to choose our table. Our server came right over to drop off menus and take our beverage order. Very extensive breakfast menu with lots of good choices. There were breakfast specials as well. She came right over when we put down our menus. We placed our order and within just a few minutes our food was delivered. My eggs were very good and cooked perfectly and hubby was delighted with his hash and eggs breakfast as well. The price is decent and the portions plentiful. Our server was friendly and efficient. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 5 November 2014

This is a great little hidden Breakfat-Lunch restaurant. The food is tasty, plentiful, quick, and priced right. The best part is the family who runs the place. Be ready to be welcomed and treated like long lost friends.

Date of visit: November 2014