“Ewwww... just gross!”

Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Jen's Place specializes in homemade cooking in a down-home-Maine atmosphere. At Jen's, friends are made and families come together to enjoy the warm feeling of good food, eclectic decor and friendly service. Full breakfast menu featuring pancakes, omelets and scrambles, traditional Eggs Benedict, and Jen's signature corned-beef hash.
Reviewed 17 December 2014

We should have turned around and left as soon as we stepped inside this filthy mess of a joint, but stayed hoping we might be surprised by the food. We were, by the terribleness of it. This place hasn't been cleaned in a year easily and the furniture is all scarred, scuffed, greasy or otherwise disfigured.

The menu says something about a meal and a show, well apparently the show is a TV blaring a game show at high volume.

As I ordered my breaky I specifically mentioned no onions on my omelet, so naturally the home fries arrived seasoned with onion. The omelet itself was nearly tasteless. Even ketchup and hot sauce couldn't save it. I've never had such flavorless ham nor cheese. The only thing that distinguished it was the thick black hair I found in it.

When I asked for some hot sauce the waitress just pointed to a rack across the room hidden behind the bathroom door and told me to go get it. And we were the only customers in the place at that time! You don't often find service like that these days!

Bad food, horrible ambiance, terrible service and higher than average prices. Jeez, what a dive.

1  Thank h0trudderedbum

Reviewed 28 November 2014 via mobile

Stopped by here a month or so ago and it was very busy and we couldn't wait. Had heard good things about it and always willing to try one-of-a-kind local dining so we wanted to return for another try. We went inside and there was no line so we were able to choose our table. Our server came right over to drop off menus and take our beverage order. Very extensive breakfast menu with lots of good choices. There were breakfast specials as well. She came right over when we put down our menus. We placed our order and within just a few minutes our food was delivered. My eggs were very good and cooked perfectly and hubby was delighted with his hash and eggs breakfast as well. The price is decent and the portions plentiful. Our server was friendly and efficient. Will definitely return.

Reviewed 5 November 2014

This is a great little hidden Breakfat-Lunch restaurant. The food is tasty, plentiful, quick, and priced right. The best part is the family who runs the place. Be ready to be welcomed and treated like long lost friends.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was attracted by the sign as we drove by, but should have remembered why I don't eat seafood in the Midwest and vegetarian food in the South: even if the ingredients are fresh, there is something about location that is important.

Based on my B&G, I would have given the place a "Poor" rating, but sitting at the counter, i watched some nice-looking pancakes and French Toast heading out to tables, so I have to take that into account. Portions were gigantic.

Back to the B&G. Gravy was just barely warm; perhaps cooled down by the big chunks of sausage that were added just prior to being poured over a sliced biscuit that tasted like it had been made quite some time ago. I cook frozen biscuits in a Dutch oven on my wood stove, and occasionally make a pilgrimage to a Popeye's in NH (NH!!) and both of those options are ten times as good. I might have gone with a pancake if i had not come in determined to have B&G, but for some reason they don't put the menu on the website. I'd asked for my homefries to be on the crispy side, which the waitress noted, but when sh brought them they we the usual soggy potatoes, and she explained that it was hard to make them crispy. Sure.

Had a prime viewing location for the washing of dishes. Unless they have a high-temp dishwasher hidden away in some spot that was out of my view, I'm not sure that the cleaning was up to code. Nothing visible of course, but it's the invisible stuff that counts. I eat street food in China, so I shouldn't complain, but for some reason in a sit-down restaurant in the US I expect a little more.

Waitress, very nice, but never asked me how my meal was, which is probably just as well as it was not her fault.

1  Thank Terrygrim3
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went there recently for lunch in a large group. The people were very nice. The food was so-so and the atmosphere was dirty, cramped and stuffy.

1  Thank Jessica F