“Jen's Place”

Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 16
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: Jen's Place specializes in homemade cooking in a down-home-Maine atmosphere. At Jen's, friends are made and families come together to enjoy the warm feeling of good food, eclectic decor and friendly service. Full breakfast menu featuring pancakes, omelets and scrambles, traditional Eggs Benedict, and Jen's signature corned-beef hash.
Reviewed 5 November 2014

This is a great little hidden Breakfat-Lunch restaurant. The food is tasty, plentiful, quick, and priced right. The best part is the family who runs the place. Be ready to be welcomed and treated like long lost friends.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was attracted by the sign as we drove by, but should have remembered why I don't eat seafood in the Midwest and vegetarian food in the South: even if the ingredients are fresh, there is something about location that is important.

Based on my B&G, I would have given the place a "Poor" rating, but sitting at the counter, i watched some nice-looking pancakes and French Toast heading out to tables, so I have to take that into account. Portions were gigantic.

Back to the B&G. Gravy was just barely warm; perhaps cooled down by the big chunks of sausage that were added just prior to being poured over a sliced biscuit that tasted like it had been made quite some time ago. I cook frozen biscuits in a Dutch oven on my wood stove, and occasionally make a pilgrimage to a Popeye's in NH (NH!!) and both of those options are ten times as good. I might have gone with a pancake if i had not come in determined to have B&G, but for some reason they don't put the menu on the website. I'd asked for my homefries to be on the crispy side, which the waitress noted, but when sh brought them they we the usual soggy potatoes, and she explained that it was hard to make them crispy. Sure.

Had a prime viewing location for the washing of dishes. Unless they have a high-temp dishwasher hidden away in some spot that was out of my view, I'm not sure that the cleaning was up to code. Nothing visible of course, but it's the invisible stuff that counts. I eat street food in China, so I shouldn't complain, but for some reason in a sit-down restaurant in the US I expect a little more.

Waitress, very nice, but never asked me how my meal was, which is probably just as well as it was not her fault.

1  Thank Terrygrim3
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went there recently for lunch in a large group. The people were very nice. The food was so-so and the atmosphere was dirty, cramped and stuffy.

1  Thank Jessica F
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

Pumpkin pancakes for me, homemade Belgian waffle with scrambled eggs for my husband. Coffee was average but breakfast was great. I'm sure it's a hit with the local college students after a night of drinking root beer.

1  Thank SullivanAbbey
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I used to like this place alot but I think I'm done going there unless they get their act together. Was at Jen's this past week and after we were seated we were served our coffee and placed our order. The breakfast came and we never saw our waitress again until the bill arrived. No asking if everything was good, no refills on coffee. The bacon had an "off" taste and I wound up giving it to my dog. When I was there last month with my husband I noticed the same problem with the bacon and thought it was just a fluke, it was either inferior quality or improperly stored.

1  Thank baileysmom57