1,303 results
All reviews el sol freddy's bar beach beds every morning juan pablo tortillas four seasons garden room beach service the cantina ceviche bar plunge pool workout room snorkeling trip turquoise water main building mayan culture
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Just finished up our third straight year spending spring break at the Belmond. We had a wonderful 10 night stay. The staff is tremendous as always. Most of them recognized us (by name) from previous visits and gave us sincere hugs and handshakes upon our arrival. You truly can’t say enough good things about the people at the Belmond. Our one bedroom suite was gorgeous, overlooking the beach and ocean. The food at the resort is top notch. Breakfast, which is included, is wonderful—-it is not a buffet, but rather you order off the menu. Freshly squeezed juices are amazing. We ate all of our dinners on property. There are 2 restaurants, and both have indoor and outdoor seating so you basically have 4 different locations for dinner. Whichever restaurant you go to you can order off either menu, so we mixed and matched quite a bit. The Mexican buffet on Thursdays is amazing. The beach beds are basically beds, and there are plenty. No fighting over the chairs like at other resorts. The one downside is the seaweed. I will say the hotel does a great job cleaning the beach. However, there is a ton of seaweed in the water, and it does get on the beach no matter how hard the staff works. Of our 10 days, the ocean was unswimmable 3 days, not great another 3 days, and good for the other 4 days. Again, this is not the resort’s fault, but trust me when I say the seaweed situation seems to be getting worse. That said, the other great benefits of the Belmond more than make up for the seaweed, and we look forward to going back again and again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
4  Thank Jim Y
BelmondMaroma, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your sharing the feedback of your recent stay. It has been great having you as our guests at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa and to know that every time you visit us, it is better than the last one.

It is fair and honest to say, that despite our best efforts, there are times when the force of mother nature simply overcomes us. Thank you for highlighting the effort that is made to keep the beach clean for your comfort.

I hope next time you visit us, mother nature is less capricious and allows us to offer the complete experience.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 March 2018

My bride and I spent four days at the Belmond after a week with family near Tulum. The architecture of the resort is just fabulous. Everything you need. Three pools, large exercise facility, two restaurants, great beach that is maintained constantly to remove any seaweed, snorkel gear, catamaran sailing off the beach. The staff provides the highest possible level of service. Food was mostly Mexican cuisine with burgers and pasta items available. There is enough variety is that there is no need to consider restaurants off site. We will be back. Together with the Rosewood in San Miguel, the Belmond is the nicest hotel we have ever visited.

Room Tip: The Architecture of the resort provides a variety of room sizes and types, all with great views of pools or beach.
3  Thank cgbpa
BelmondMaroma, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Dear cgbpa,

Thank you for entrusting us with your holiday time. I am happy to know that the allure of our tropical paradise, Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, combined with the friendly service of our staff, invited you to fully enjoy your experience.

I am glad to know that we will soon see you again at this, your home away from home.

In the meantime and until you come back, best regards from Mexico,

Reviewed 27 March 2018

The extensive grounds and seemingly private beach for the hotel are amazing--definitely walk the grounds at night as they place 1,000 candles throughout--magical!

Great beach chaises and palapas/umbrellas for shade, and the beach staff are always there to help with fresh towels and drinks. There's lots of room between chairs making it private.

We were there in March, when it was nice and breezy, making the temperature delightful. The down side was the winds kick up the seaweed from the reefs and carry it onto the beach. The hotel does a terrific job constantly trying to rake this away with a tractor device, which was effective. It did not deter us from swimming in the sea, or going for long walks on the beach. Apparently this does not happen when it's not windy, like the summer, but it's a lot hotter as a result.

We had an ocean view room which was worth the extra expense. I requested a quiet room, and they put us above the restaurant. Loud at night, but luckily I had earplugs. If you want quiet, get away from the restaurants. Room was nicely decorated, very comfortable and great large deck with a wonderful ocean view.

Some of the best things for us about the hotel were the small size (about 63 rooms), beautifully landscaped grounds, spa (had a facial and massage and both were good but expensive), 2 large restaurants with good food, and overall peacefulness and quiet.

Breakfast is the best, especially eating outdoors. The menu is excellent (thankfully no buffet), and there are a lot of other treats provided that are delicious.

We ate at both restaurants, which were fine. El Sol, the more intimate one, was nice, but it's a shame it can't be for adults only--rather bothersome to enjoy a very expensive bottle of wine with dinner only to have the 2 kids at the next table talking loudly non-stop. This happened both nights we were there. Food at both was good, but somewhat expensive, as were the drinks.

We were going to book 2 tours: Chichen Itza (a 2.5 hour drive from the hotel) and Coba (1.5 hour drive). The travel agency the hotel uses was very expensive for these tours. So I tried another company, Living Dreams, for both, and was extremely pleased. Prices were considerably less and the service and both tours were great.

We also booked the pick-up service the hotel offers for a fee from/to the airport, which is recommended. Don't miss the morning bike ride by a staff member around the grounds which explains the history of the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by the restaurants as it can be loud at night
1  Thank PandM0

Dear PandM0,

Thank you for such wonderful feedback. I am glad to know that your overall experience has been great and that you had a lovely time exploring the hotel so as the major attractions the Riviera Maya has to offer.

Rest assured that I have taken notes of your input about the prices and the dinner time at El Sol restaurant, and will be revised with my team to ensure we are providing the best of the experiences to everyone, including our younger guests.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our tropical paradise, Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa.

With my best regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2018

The resort definitely helps you to unwind. Rosa was our contact at the hotel and she was very informative and helpful. The fresh coffee deposited outside the door each morning was a great touch (as well as complimentary breakfast on the patio). I truly enjoyed myself.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
BelmondMaroma, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Dear SherrifromTX,

It's the little things that make the difference, aren't they? I am delighted to know that Rosa stood out during your stay and that your time with us was lovely. I'll be sure to pass on your comments.

Thank you for choosing Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa as your getaway spot and I trust we will soon see you around.

In the meantime, best wishes from Mexico.

Best regards,

Reviewed 21 March 2018

We just returned from the most relaxing 7 days at Belmond Maroma. The weather and location were perfect it is also so easy to get to from the airport. The hotel arranged for a airport pickup which I highly recommend. Upon arrival you are greeted with a Maroma margarita which was the best margarita I have ever had! The room was immaculate and housekeeping did a great job. I was very surprised that such a high end resort had such low end hair dryers, they were pretty awful I think they could offer a much better quality. Be advised that the rooms do not have televisions. I can not say enough great things about all the staff - they are super friendly, eager to please, everyone spoke english. I have never stay at a property that had such an amazing staff through out the entire property. The biggest miss for us was the food based and the prices. The prices are not equal to the food, we were surprised that the food was not better, it wasn't bad, just very overpriced for what it was. You should also be advised that there is no night life if that is important to you. You would probably need to go to Playa Carmen for that which is about 20 minutes away. We did not try the spa which looked gorgeous because the weather was so spectacular we didn't want to be inside but I am sure the treatments are amazing. There is beach yoga in the morning, bike ride thru the jungle, beach bikes, lots of water sports. The resort is family friendly and has an adult only section which would have been nice since we were a couple but the families we met were lovely. The only reason we might not return would be the food. We also met several guests that had been to the resort multiple times so that speaks volumes!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BelmondMaroma, General Manager at Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Dear lb121,

Thank you for the opportunity to welcome you to our tropical paradise, Belmond Maroma Resort & Spa for a few days of relaxation.

It is very important for me to know better ways to improve the service that we are so well known for, so I appreciate your sincerity while sharing your experience with us, although we would have very much appreciated hearing of your discontent with the food while you were with us. On the other hand, and even when our price lists are revised constantly to ensure a good experience for our guests, please rest assured that I will be discussing this matter with my team.

If you should have a change of heart, we look forward to welcoming you back. In the meantime, receive our best wishes.