“Surprised by, and disagree with, the several poor reviews”
Review of Whales Tale

Whales Tale
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 October 2017

Cruising through reviews, and stumbled on a few negative ones about the Whales Tale in Boothbay Harbor. My wife and I could not disagree more. We stumbled on this restaurant several years ago, as we spend August in the region every year. We’ve eaten there probably a dozen times, and despite now summering nearly an hour away, we still make the trip to the restaurant. It is our favorite lunch spot for several reasons. First, it is secluded and despite Boothbay Harbor being touristy, this restaurant is quiet and largely visited by locals and those docking their boats in the adjacent marina. It has a great, picturesque view of the harbor and the boats cruising in and out. Simply, it is Boothbay at its loveliest. We have never had a disappointing meal there. The several chowders are the best in the region (and we’ve tried lots of them). Particularly, the bowl of seafood chowder is a meal in itself. — don’t make the mistake of ordering another entree with it. The fried fish sandwich is a healthy portion and nicely fried. The fried onion rings are very good. Others with us have ordered the fish sandwich baked, and thoroughly enjoyed it. While these are our go-to choices, we, and others who have joined us (including several local Boothbay residents) have chosen other menu items, and never been unhappy. Their selection of beers and cocktails is good, and sipping a drink overlooking the harbor on a beautiful sunny summer day can be heavenly. I found the criticisms of the staff to be particularly puzzling. The waitresses have been there for a number of years, and while we don’t visit there so often that they “know” us, we’ve always had great service. We’ve visited with guests who needed special attention — e.g., my 92 year old Dad, my wife who needed to move from seat to seat several times because the sun was in her eyes, and even me, when there was a miscommunication about the cocktail I ordered, In each instance, we were accommodated with a smile to our satisfaction. So maybe we’ve just been lucky. But I don’t think so — the sample size is too large. Now as winter in DC approaches we begin to look forward to our annual summer stay in the Maine mid-coast region, and our lunches at the Whales Tale. We encourage you to give it a try.

Date of visit: August 2017

Reviewed 4 October 2017

Seems like the turistas don't come here often. What a fun place!! Waitstaff is a hoot, and bar and pub food is good.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

The Whale’s Tale has an excellent outdoor patio area (dog friendly) that is west facing to see the great sunsets over Boothbay Harbor. I like that it is on the “quiet side” of the harbor. We had the garden salads with cucumber wasabi dressing (amazing!). For entrée I had the lobster ravioli which was a stuffed with lobster meat – no skimping here. It was bathed in lobster bisque which was a bit rich for me but was easily scraped off so I could eat as much or as little as I wanted. My husband had the pork chop which he said was excellent, but his mashed potatoes (homemade) were a bit on the cold side. All in all, we had a great dinner with our dog and hanging out with other guests at the Whale’s Tale.

1  Thank MBJBride0520
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Back again to this waterside establishment for its clam chowder. Decent hot onion roll and oyster crackers served with the chowder. Still one of the best chowders I've eaten! Go if you are in BBH.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

We had both types of flatbread pizza, pepperoni and vegetarian, and both were very good. We also had the haddock bites, small pieces of fried haddock served with tartar sauce and cole slaw, also good. We are locals and go there often. Absolutely the best view, right on the water, of any place in town.