“You Don't Even Want To Know”

Howard Johnson Inn Bangor
Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Bangor
Reviewed 11 May 2011

So my freinds and I, 30 somethings with kids looking to get away for a little moms Bangor shopping weekend, booked the Howard Johnson's in Bangor. We weren't looking for something fancy, just a place to rest our heads between shopping. We check in Friday night at 12am, after some shopping of course, to find that someone had slept in one of the double beds in our room. I am serious, look at pic attached. This was what we walked into the first night. We called the front desk and they said there were no more rooms and that she would send someone up with clean sheets if we were going to stay (it was 1230am at this time, we are from Canada, where were we going). We said yes and while waiting for the sheets made sure no one was in our room. We did discover that the hand towel in the bathroom had tomatoe sauce all over it (maybe the person who had taken a nap in our room also had some lunch and then wiped his/her face). We called to the front desk again to ask for clean towels. When the maid arrived I joked that the cleaning lady must of taken a nap in our room that day and the maid said "that must of been where she was when I was looking for her.." - then the maid went on to say "you don't even want to know who cleaned your room, really you don't want to know...but she will be cleaning your room again tomorrow..." So we barely slept the first night because we were expecting someone to walk in. The next day while shopping we joked that someone was probably in our room sleeping. Can you believe that when we went back the second night there was a head print on the pillow on one of the beds and the blanket was turned back. So untop of what ever was going on there, the place was disgusting! I don't think the place was ever cleaned in the time it has been open. The mirrors had splatters of dirt all over them and the phone cord was brown. There was chips all around the bed and hair around the sink. Anyway, unless you like dirt and someone napping in your bed while you are not there, I suggest you go somewhere else. This place is GROSS.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank NewbrunswickLisa

Reviewed 3 May 2011

I debated on whether or not to stay here after reading the other reviews.
I took a chance and found it clean,friendly,inexpensive and close to
everything.If you compare this to the other low price motels in the area
you will be satisfied with this one.It is not the Hilton but for $55 a night
you could do much worse.Just do as we do and ask to see the room
before checking in and make your own decision.Remember you are
staying a night or two not buying the motel!

Room Tip: Book ahead for the best rate.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel for the first night of our long weekend in Maine, (Feb.2011). When we checked in and went to the room, at first, it didn't seem too bad. We had shopped for some food items and put them in the small fridge; looking to make sure the fride dial was on, which it was. The next morning when packing up to check-out, we noticed that the fridge had not been on, and the whole side of the inside, was mouldy..YUK...therefore, we had to through all of our food out.
The 2nd major incident was when we went out the side door to put our stuff in the car, which we were parked in a disability spot, ( with our W/C card hanging in the window). I went to go back into the hotel and the door was locked, and would not open with our room key card. I had to walk around to the other side to get back into the hotel...through all the ice and snow. When my husband came out, he let the maintainence guy know, who was working around in the hallway, The maintainence guy had said....that door is still broken ??? I let the desk know about this quite some time ago. When we went to the front desk to check-out, we informed the clerk about the fridge and loosing all of our food, to which he did not even aknowledge that there was a problem. We were quite disappointed in the reaction..or lack of...that we received. We had planned to stay the last night in Bangor at H.J.'s, however due to the above problems, chose not to. We understand that there can be problems at any hotel, however the problems that we incurred were not dealt with at all. I would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mspalmtree
Reviewed 23 February 2011

Terrible hotel! We stayed here about 15 years ago, so I wasn't concerned about it until we arrived. The TV and stands were coated with dust - enough that I could have written 'Clean Me' in it. There were huge cobwebs hanging all over the ceiling and corners of the room. The lamp shades were cracked and splitting. The blankets were tattered and literally had large holes in them. The place was old, falling apart, and very unclean. We didn't check in until late, so just decided to stay the night. In the morning, the shower wouldn't drain at all! There's just nothing better than having to step into 6 inches of dirty water! When I told the desk clerk, she asked if I had reported it the night before. I told her that would have been impossible, since we checked in so late and didn't know the drain didn't work until morning. She wasn't too concerned and just wanted to get rid of me. Do not stay at this hotel!!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whitmanp1
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Place is old, not properly updated, no heat in some rooms, dirty carpet! .Dust everywhere, heating unit was absolutely filthy with caked on dust, sinks and tub wouldn't drain, water had terrible odor, missing light switches, broken fixtures. I travel, and this is among the worst I have seen. I have requested a full refund from Corporate HoJo's, and if I don't receive it I will pursue further action. Oh, the Bar was very well run and clean.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business