“Yum”
Review of El Sombrero

El Sombrero
Ranked #41 of 145 Restaurants in West Monroe
Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Steak instead of fajitas. Covered with tomatoes, pepper s and onions. Delicious. I don't tolerate carbs, so no corn, no flour, no rice. They substitute d salad, guac, and sour cream. What a excellent meal. Couldn't ask for more, service and food excellent

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

Wonderful dinner. I had the Carnitas. The food was cooked to perfection, the serving size was plentiful and the prices are very reasonable. My only complaint if there is one; like most Mexican restaurants they don't provide enough soft taco shells with the meal so you have to ask for more.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We were quickly greeted and seated. Restaurant was clean. Waiter came to table often to refill drinks. They serve beer and wine on Sunday. Food came to table warm. Okay for a quick meal.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

Looked for a restaurant close to our hotel and decided Mexican would be the choice. Having had a poor experience at Chile Verde on a previous trip through Monroe we opted for El Somb. Really bad choice on my part. First indication was a broken door handle on one of two entrance doors with an old sign directing you to use the one on the left. Not a good first impression. Second, we had to pass not two but four unoccupied tables with various dishes, goblets, chips etc., left on them. And this was at 5:15PM. An adjacent table had a left over chip basket sitting out during our whole dinner. Service was friendly and efficient. Chips were fresh and the salsa in a self serve carafe was a good idea. The Chile Relleno’s were fresh and well cooked, but filled with some kind of industrial white cheese whiz that was anything but Mexican. Refritos were the purified version that we’ve seen in other places on I-20 and the rice was underwhelming. We ordered margaritas that were served warm in plastic goblets. They were promoting a 2 for 1 of various drinks and we immediately figured out why; there was probably not even one shot in our two drinks. Active management was invisible.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 14 August 2017

Having been on vacation away from Texas and good Mexican food, when we saw El Sombrero on the same street as the hotel we were staying at, we were excited to try it out. This time I made a very rare mistake, I did not check TA first to see what ratings my fellow reviewers gave the place.
Upon entering we found an inviting, very South of the Border vibe, and great tasting Margarita's (only 1 size available -- Large). Upon being seated at a table for dinner, we discovered our waiter could barely speak English, was difficult to understand, but tried hard and found it easier if we pointed to the menu item we wanted or used the menu numbering system to order. My wife ordered Shrimp Fajita's, which could have served 2 people nicely, and I ordered Chili Relleno dinner, which were served promptly but neither one very hot. Usually Fajitas have steam rising off the heated platter when served, and the first few bites of a Chili Relleno are too hot to eat ... Not in this case. (If I wasn't so hungry after a long day of driving, I would have sent it back.) Both meals had plenty of flavor, with the exception of the pureed, baby-food style, refried beans we were served, which were so bad we didn't eat them.
If any Mexican food will do and you don't mind the flaws I pointed out, El Sombrero should do in a pinch. But if you enjoy truly good Mexican food, like I do, you might want to look elsewhere.

Date of visit: August 2017