All reviews farm huts vegetables swimming resort menu
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

The beach is so beautiful. The ocean is breathtaking. We even got to hold a monkey on the beach to take pictures. They have free chairs and you can rent rafts.Snorking to see the reef was amazing. Mario and Darian are very helpful. If you need anything they are right there to help.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 May 2017

The resort is beautiful and ideal for our Class Reunion as it has good facilities for this with its pavilions. However, it is not good for swimming or walking in the beach. The beach needs raking.

When we arrived, there were fishermen bringing in their catch so we enjoyed this local colour. The rooms are spacious but the bathrooms are small. There is no working Wi-Fi. The staff are nice but they need training on how to be more attentive and how to offer better service. We enjoyed the food as the fish is really fresh and the vegetables are organic. They have their own farm. Try their tarragon tea, very refreshing.

Room Tip: Second Floor Rooms with Sea View
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 May 2017

The resort was really nice, in fact, way better than the beach area. Place is very serene, clean and well kept. The food was not very special but at least edible. Wait staff in the restaurant were not very attentive to the needs of the people eating. We had to look for them whenever we needed something. The flowers and trees blended well with the villas/ cottages that the whole feel of the place made us want to go back if ever we get back to the place again. Sadly the beach wasn't as beautiful but the manmade structures enhanced the total feel of the place. Remember to bring anti-mosquito lotion since there were a lot of mosquitoes at night. Parking area was spacious as well. Oh, and the A/C unit of the deluxe room wasn't enough. Other than that, overall stay was very pleasant and relaxing.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

The place looks beautiful but it was decieving.The first problem was some kittens going to our room and we have allergies.The second probkem was cleanliness because we saw a roach creeping.We ordered food and it was fine but when we got our bill it was so expensive especially the beer.And we were disgusted because some beers that were not opened got lost.Some of their staff was dishonest.Of course we have to pay for it inspiite we didn't consumed it.The lady staff has a bit of attitude Im not sure how did she came up with senior citizen discount for the two rooms that we rented.They won't accept credit card even though in their website it says they do.They are not so accommodating inspite of the fact that were spending a lot of money overnight.The lady' was even questioning my senior citizen discount when we paid for the additional cottage that we rented. It was a nightmare and we'll never go back to that place.I commend some of the servers for the good job It wasn't a good first time experience and never again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2017

The main aspect of Sol Y Mar is that it feels like it has been carved out of the surrounding area. Why would I think that? Because all the buildings, structures, have been made from local bamboo and timber. Everything! The accommodation units, the beach huts, the flooring, the columns that hold up the roofs, the tables, the chairs and even the toilets (CR's). There are no concrete paths, stone slab stepping stones, nothing like that. It's located right by the Sulu Sea, just a few steps across the black sand and you're in the water!
The units are tastefully done and one unit has it's own, private swimming pool. The theme is to give the place a sense that it is one with nature and not a human made resort to cater for the wealthy.
For that reason families love to come here because it has that real Philippines atmosphere about it.
I actually live at the resort next door, Bearland, but prefer to eat at Sol Y Mar if I am looking for a dine out. Why? Well, the owner, a local Filipino, supplies fresh ingredients from his own farm, including the free range chickens, to create the meals. Did I mention how cold the beer is. Icicles form on the bottle immediately after it has been served from the fridge. Aussies love that! The food is very good, the menu varied, the service okay.
Sol Y Mar is a very peaceful place to eat, drink and swim. It's distance from the main city, Iloilo, makes it not so popular for people to visit but if you're looking to get away from it all, enjoy nature, then this is a great choice.
I have not yet stayed overnight, so I can't talk about the accommodation, however, as soon as I do that I will update this review. With some advertising and a higher profile, Sol Y Mar could easily become a great party venue for the younger generation, a place where you could not disturb anyone regardless of what noise you made.
For 'oldies' like me, it's a haven!

Room Tip: All the rooms look okay but it's something I will have to check after I stay there.
Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple