Paragon Casino Resort
Sportsman's Motel(Simmesport)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
TripAdvisor
All reviewsbig daddyrv parkindoor poolfirst run moviesswim up barlive alligatorsslot machineskids questnature trailbalcony roomnew orleansatriumbiloxijackpotdealerstubsbayou
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This was the second time my husband and I had stayed at the Paragon. The second visit was just as nice as the first visit. The hotel staff was super friendly, and all my expectations were met. Our room was very clean and held a pleasant atmosphere. The lobby is a truly unique, as it gives a hint to what makes up part of Louisiana, the swamp/bayou area. Guests young and old will enjoy seeing the daily alligator show and hearing songs from some of the local Tunica-Biloxi Indians. Family friendly. The indoor pool is a wonderful experience for kids, as they will find it to have a somewhat tropical/jungle feel. Food is wonderful, and there are plenty of restaurants to sastisfy even the most picky palate. Enjoy visitng the 3-screen cinema, feel relaxed at the spa, let the kids enjoy the arcade and children's play area. As this is part of a casino, gambling abounds. The only warning I can offer to people that are sensitive to smoking, it is allowed most everywhere in the Paragon. There is a smoke free room for gamblers, and the restaurants do have separate smoking/non-smoking areas. The visit was very relaxing and refreshing. I hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank LaBelle1979
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Not much to add from other reviews. Used my $35 coupon for a large king room with a jacuzi tub, separate shower and phone in the bathroom...but did not try the internet service since they actually charge 5 bucks for it...just the principle of the thing. Won enough at the casino to pay the room and dinner. All that mattered as the next day we go to New Orleans to get on the cruise boat. Out of the way place to have a casino, but, whatever...keep those coupons coming!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wichitadave
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Just back from the Paragon with my family and Mom. The hotel itself is very nice but what I wanted to say was about the staff. OMG I have never encountered such rude people in all my life running a hotel. Firstly the front desk, the girl checking us in didnt even make eye contact with us once, she kept looking around us and everytime I asked her a question she would say "whuut?" i we got about 6 "whuuts" before we gave in. Then came room service. I saw a poor woman arguing with the supervisor in the hall. She was wearing a towel on her head and one round her asking for another towel as she had 3 grown girls in her room. The supervisor was telling her unless she handed over the two dirty towels she was wearing they would not give her any more!!! Lastly was the final straw that made us check out and drive to Coushatta was the courtesy desk. I was asking for help with my Moms card, the girl said one word to me "supervisor" and thumbed in the direction of another woman. I asked if she could help and she nodded. I waited 25 mind for the supervisor only to be told in one sentence she cant help without my mom being right in front of her and not sitting on a seat 5 feet from her. I went to fetch my mom ( whos 84yrs) and on my way back the 3 women behind the counter had their heads lowered making fun of me and laughing, pointing and saying stuff...when I got closer they all shushed each other saying "shhhh shes back". When I outright confronted them they totally lied and denied it. I have thier names and fully intend to make a complaint but to be honest if their management is anything like thier staff I am afraid it will fall on deaf ears. After that incident we checked out and left, drove to Coushatta Casino, booked into the Best Western right next to it. The staff at the Best Western were like a breath of fresh air. You know you dont expect to be waited on hand and foot at a hotel but you do expect a bit of respect and to be treated the way you treat others. There is no way we would ever consider going back to the Paragon because of the terrible staff there...seriously...it was like they had taken all the brainless misfits they could find and hired them to work there, it was bordering on scary. I saw one comment in the past on here about it being a lovely hotel dumped in the middle of a trailer park...I laughed when I read that review...In not laughing now.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Kamille
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I wanted to take a holiday vacation away from home. I went to the Paragon Casino and Hotel and here is what I have experienced or read.'

The Advantages:

Hotel room was very nice and beds were very comfortable even though the rooms were small (stayed in the less expensive rooms). The buffet food I would say is average but I did find the price to be very steep for what you get on the buffet. The best thing about the hotel is they have a movie theater which as a frequent movie goer myself, this is a big plus because I didn't have to get in my car and drive to the theater if i wanted to see a movie. Indoor pool which can be used year-round. Self-Serve soda fountain machine in the casino which you did not have to wait for the cocktail servers to come up to you to get drinks while you are playing. Gator pond exhibit in the Lobby.

The Disadvantage

The indoor pool requires you to have a wristband to be in the pool area in which if you did not receive any wristbands upon check-in, you are required to wait in the check-in/check-out line to get them from the front desk. I find this policy very stupid and pointless because you need a room key to open the doors to get into the pool area so I do not understand why in the world you need a wristband if the room key is required to enter the pool area. I guess the purpose of the wristband policy (especially if you have to wait in the long check-in/out line to get wristbands is one of the things shows that they do not care about their guests and sure enjoy inconveniencing their customers.

At tons of hotels and motels, especially at the ones that charge the lowest rates, they include wireless internet access for no additional charge when you check in. Not this one, they charge $5.00 per day in addition to a high room rate in order to use the internet, in your guest room and even in the lobby (I am one of these people who travels with a laptop computer). I needed to check my email so instead of paying for their internet service, which I found in some places in the hotel you can hardly get a signal, I decided to eat at the nearby McDonald's which they have free internet with a food purchase. I did find some of the staff to be friendly, especially the waitresses I got both times when I ate at the buffet, which the first one was the friendliest out of all the staff. On the other hand, some of the staff there were not too friendly and talking to them was like talking to a brick wall. Even the alligators in the lobby were a lot more friendlier than some of the employees there and you have better luck getting service from the alligators in the lobby than you do with some of the employees.

This is a very nice place but the friendliness from many of the staff members needs major improvement.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Couragerous
Reviewed 19 October 2010

Just a note to all that every winter we have our LETR conference in which approx 100 Law Officers converge upon Paragon. We have wonderful check in. Even if there is a problem at check in, the staff is quick to remedy the situation with great satisfaction! The Casino and Shopping areas were bonuses to our folks that drove from all over the state to Marksville. We also enjoyed the meeting at the theatre. What a great way to have speakers and comfortable for all day seating...also, the staff were friendly and courteous and saw to it that we had all we needed to carry off a successful meeting! Look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business