“Great ambience”
Review of Hambone

Hambone
Ranked #32 of 163 Restaurants in Mandeville
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 65
Description: Elevated comfort food! Lunch, brunch and dinner. Owned and operated by former Commander's Palace Sous Chef and his wife. Lunch menu has really yummy sandwiches like The Remy (house made pastrami ) and the Fried Pork Chop Sandwich. Don't miss brunch! Some favorites are Banana Nut French Toast, Ham & Cheese Croquettes and Hambone Gumbo. Excellent coffee by local roasters, Abita Roasting Co. is served daily. A variety of beer & wine are served along with a large selection of specialty sodas. Now serving dinner!!
Reviewed 28 May 2021 via mobile

His chicken fried steak was over done and dry, and my fried chicken thigh sandwich was a little spicy with the sauce. However, the presentation was good, the service was excellent, and setting was peaceful and funky...it reminded us of eating in the Bahamas in Green Turtle Cay. It’s easy to find, easy to park, and there’s a ramp in the back.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (35)

Reviewed 11 May 2021

My husband and I ate here, for brunch, a few weeks ago during a shop local festival. They do try to keep the restaurant Covid friendly, if that is a concern of yours. We were sat down at a table pretty quickly and given menus. We had to order our food and drinks at a small to-go window; we were given a number card that we had to put on our table so the server could bring us our food. We ordered the "chip & dip" appetizer that was surprisingly delicious. The plantains were crunchy and went well with the dip. I highly recommend trying the tip. I ordered Luke's Fried Chicken Sandwich while my husband ordered The Hambone Muffuleta. For sides, we ordered the tater logs and spicy pork boudin. The tater logs are just steak fries and the boudin was essentially dirty rice. I wasn't impressed with the sides. The chicken sandwich was pretty good, but I could only eat half of it because of its size. My husband said that his sandwich was okay. He regretted not ordering the Luke's Chicken sandwich because it looked better than the muffuleta. I also ordered a brunch mimosa and I was disappointed when I saw that it was in the size of a small mason jar glass. I felt like I should have saved my money and just drank water. The experience was just basic. Nothing special, but nothing bad. The food was good, but I feel like I could have gotten similar quality of food at Olive Garden or something. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The atmosphere was very laid back and open which I did enjoy very much. If you want a laid back, hipster feeling restaurant then this is the place for you. I think that there are more unique places to eat in the area, though.

Date of visit: April 2021
Reviewed 16 April 2021

Very limited menu....maybe 2-3 items to choose from.
After waiting for 30 minutes for 2 eggs, biscuit and grits.....it was time to go.
They still charged me for coffee.
Dinner is great here but avoid for breakfast

Date of visit: April 2021
1  Thank Donk93953
Reviewed 2 October 2020 via mobile

Delicious! We split the stuffed oysters appetizer. I had the fried chicken sandwich which had 2 boneless chicken thighs on it and my husband had the Ruben type sandwich. I drank the blueberry mojito and my husband had the bloody mary. Everything was delicious. Since Covid it's now a counter service type set up. You place the order and go sit down and they bring you your food and drink. We are outside since it was a nice day and they had a nice outdoor atmosphere. They have a play area for the kids to play in the rocks with a truck.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 6 September 2020

A friend told us about this place being open and we decided to try it before heading to New Orleans later in the morning today. Despite the sign on the door indicating they opened at 11 am, they were open at 10 am today.

It was very pleasant out front at a picnic table, we ordered inside and Kyn brought our order to the picnic table (picture from Girod street attached).

For my wife and I, we had:
- A simple breakfast with two eggs over medium, grits, bacon, and a biscuit ( picture attached), that my wife thought was just OK;
- I ordered two appetizers - the 4 deviled eggs and a grilled oysters special with artichoke & breadcrumb topping ( picture attached) that I thought were both good.

Along with some orange juice and free refill coffee, we had a nice time sitting outside this morning before it got too hot.

Date of visit: September 2020