“Great New Addition to Lafayette”

Social Southern Table & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Social Southern Table & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 621 Restaurants in Lafayette
Price range: US$ 8 - US$ 17
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: a hip, innovative place to enjoy locally sourced cuisine, hand-crafted specialty cocktails and real Southern hospitality.
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I am very pleased with this place so far. We have gone twice and enjoyed our meals. We shared the roasted beets, smoked fried chicken, guinness braised cochon, pork belly sliders, mac & cheese & roasted cauliflower. All were tasty and I can't wait to try more. Portions are pretty much meant to be shared and I enjoyed that!

The first time we sat at the bar and the bartender was very attentive. She explained the menu in great deat and was helpful.

The 2nd time we went right before Mardi Gras and it was packed. We decided to wait through the one hour and 30 min wait. As soon as our name was on the list, a waiter can back and asked if we wanted drinks while waiting. I thought this was a nice touch to not have to go to the over packed bar area. About 35 min into the wait, we were informed that a communal table was open if we wanted to have it. I was worried at first that it could be awkward but we decided to treat it like a bar seat and try it out. I am glad we did! I didn't notice the other people at the table. It was very comfortable and roomy plus we were seated faster! I would sit there anytime.

It is loud in there but I kinda like it like that. I don't have to worry about whispering. I can have good conversation and laughs. It is called Social and the formula works.

BEER!!! Yes, finally a restaurant in Lafayette is serving big beer. About time! Granted I love my local beer. But sometimes I want a Brash Bollocks Imperial IPA or Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet in bottles or Green Flash West Coast on tap. It's nice to have beer I drink at home available at a local restaurant.

All in all a good, new and fun place!

2  Thank Traveler_at_Heart_09

Reviewed 1 February 2013

This new restaurant in the old Canton City Inn location (the restaurant is decidedly not "formerly Canton City Inn") is a work in progress. The owners and management team are experienced and well known to the Lafayette dining scene, and the concept is pithy and upbeat. Dinner only is available at this writing, but lunch is promised soon.

A recent and first visit found excellent service, and some interesting food: Pork Belly Sliders is a keeper; Turnip Greens with Steen's Syrup is massive but a so-so taste; deviled eggs nothing special; Smoked Shrimp too salty.

The real downside is the noise. This is destined to be a popular place in the beginning, and there is as much (loud) visiting as there is eating going on. Time will tell if the food and service are good enough to overcome what could be a distinct negative, and bring back repeat dining customers.

One thing which does stand out, positively, now is the selection of beers. I'd like to see a little more variety in the drafts, but what is currently on offer, including Canebrake, is fine. And for the hard stuff, have a shot of the 23 year old Pappy Van Winkle--if you've got the $75 tariff.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Only eaten take out from this place, and it was never on my dollar. Okay food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook