“Great hotel for short or long stays - full kitchen”

TownePlace Suites Baton Rouge South
Ranked #47 of 77 Hotels in Baton Rouge
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We moved to Baton Rouge from California in June 2011, and discovered our cars had arrived but the moving truck was delayed. We spent one night on the floor in our newly rented house, and decided that wouldn't work. We are long time Marriot customers, and had stayed in TownePlace Suites in California many times, so we found this one and booked a normal suite. The suite was a godsend, we were able to stock food for the full kitchen, and put our suit cases we'd flown in with aside without feeling cluttered.

TownPlace offers comfortable rooms with clean beds, sofa beds (couch), large bathrooms, and full kitchens. The pool at this facility is indoor and was a favorite of our daughter during our stay, which turned out to be a week long.

TownePlace Suites Baton Rouge South is right across from the largest mall in Baton Rouge, Mall of Louisiana, and right near I10 for convenience. A good location, with suites at the right price, with friendly staff. They also offer snacks and continental type breakfasts every morning.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah C
Colin D, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Baton Rouge South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Thank you for the great review Sarah. I am very happy that we were able to provide you that "home away from home" atmosphere during a difficult transition period. Your loyalty to Marriott is greatly appreciated!

-Colin

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We have looked at Towne Place Suites - usually stay in Residence Inns, but decided to use points on a short trip to Baton Rouge. We were in a Huge suite (upgraded) that was clean and very nice. They also have an indoor pool and spa with a BBQ area outside. The "grab and go" breakfast was more than we expected, with the normal, plus yogurt, fruit etc. We would certainly go to this property again, do NOT this this is the "norm" for Town Place Suites. We did have some problems with the elevator being right next to our bedroom, noisy as it came up or down, but the lady in charge wrote all of it down and I am sure it was corrected.

Room Tip: Ask about the elevator if you are in a room that is next to it. (we were on the second floor)
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo Ann D
Reviewed 20 October 2011

I generally stay at Marriott hotels for my business travel. It's sad to say, but this hotel lacks the quality that I expect for a Marriott hotel. No breakfast, low speed internet (to the point I have to log back on numerous times) no HDTV channels, WEEKLY cleaning of your room? Are you kidding me? Is this an Extended Stay-America? I could see behind the bathroom doors that it has not been swept in WEEKS! No regular coffee offered in the room and when I inquired at the front desk I was told I could just get coffee from this area. Really? No help from any of the 4 front desk people I encountered. They were polite but not one if them gave me any info in the hotel at all. And the Lobby? Is that what you call it? I am always Leary of places that have a front door key entry...this is one of those places. Will not stay here again-VERY DISAPPOINTING!

• Stayed: October 2011
Colin D, Manager at TownePlace Suites Baton Rouge South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Hello Sir/Madam,

I have just registered as the General Manager of this property, and though your review was posted in October of last year, I wanted to take the time to respond to some of the issues that you experienced during your stay. Firstly, thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. We certainly appreciate our loyal patrons that choose Marriott when they are travelling. I noticed that you mentioned several things about your stay that were not up to your expectations. Before I address these items individually, I would like to sincerely apologize that we failed to provide the level of service expected from a Marriott property. This is unacceptable, and feedback like yours is what allows us to ensure we are meeting the standards required by Marriott, and the TownePlace Suites Brand.

Your first touchpoint mentioned that there was no breakfast at the property. As I know, in comparison to some of the other Marriott properties, and some of the newer TownePlace Suites properties, our breakfast is a bit lacking. I apologize if the clerk that checked you in did not inform you of the hours of the breakfast. We do offer a breakfast each morning from 6:00AM - 9:30AM. We offer 6 different individually boxed cereals (3 sweet/3 non-sweet), and we also offer regular oatmeal with brown sugar, chopped walnuts and raisins for toppings, assorted flavored oatmeal, individually wrapped Sara Lee muffins, Nature Valley Oats N' Honey granola bars, Bananas, Apples, Tropicana Orange Juice, Dannon Light N' Fit yogurt, and both 2% and Fat Free milk. We offer this "Grab and Go" breakfast in the lobby with trays to take the items back to your room, since we do not currently have a breakfast room for seating (we are scheduled for a renovation January 2013 after which we will have a breakfast room). Since your stay in October 2011, we have upgraded our internet connection to 10 megabytes of wireless connection, available throughout the hotel rooms and public space. We also have converted all of our in-suite flat screen TVs to High Definition programming. We have upgraded our housekeeping services so that we offer daily service. For extended stay guests staying more than 4 nights, we offer a refresh service daily in which the bed is made, the toiletries and towels are replaced, the trash is removed from the room, the dishes are put in the dishwasher, and the housekeeper tidies up the room and spot-vacuums if necessary. Once per week a full clean is offered in which the bed linens are changed, the entire bathroom and kitchen are cleaned, and the room is basically made as it was when the guest first checked in. I realize this service is different than other Marriott properties, and it can be frustrating for someone who does not typically stay with the TownePlace Suites brand, and I apologize if these services failed to meet your expectations. As far as the lack of regular coffee in the room and less-than-helpful service from the front desk staff members, I can assure you that these issues have been addressed directly, and are not a normal occurrence. I pride myself in saying that I have some of the most courteous and helpful staff members of any hotel in Baton Rouge, and I apologize if this was not your perception during your stay. I find it very disconcerting to hear that any of my guests were dissatisfied with the service received by one of my staff members, and I will do everything necessary to ensure that we are never failing to meet and exceed our guest's expectations. Lastly, in regard to the door lock at the lobby entrance, I apologize if this caused you to have a poor perception of the hotel property, but it is a required Marriott standard to have an electronic lock with room key entry on all entrance doors to the hotel. The lock on the entrance to the lobby is not locked from the hours of 6AM-12AM, and is only utilized during the Night Audit shift. The locks on the other entrance doors to the property are always engaged, so as to provide the necessary safety and security to our guests and staff members.

I understand that you experienced quite a few issues during your stay, and I also realize that my explanations have not corrected these issues, but I hope that it shows that we have heard the feedback of you and other guests, and have taken the steps to correct these problems so as to provide the top-notch service our guests have come to expect. I hope that this stay with us has not dissuaded you from staying with Marriott, or the TownePlace Suites brand, and I hope that you will come and visit us to give us another try in the future. Just a reminder we have a breakfast room and full guest suite renovation right around the corner scheduled for January 2013!

Reviewed 16 August 2011

. . . or we might not have found this hotel! As you drive through what looks like a residential area, don’t worry, you’re getting close. Clean property, large room, and full kitchen, perfect for businessmen, sports teams and families. We had a great night sleep because it was so quiet. I wished they had a mirror outside the bathroom so I could have gotten ready while my husband showered. We will probably not stay here again only because it is not close to LSU or walking distance to a restaurant. Got a great price of $50 on Priceline.com

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank GottaRun
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I flew into New Orleans, but decided to drive to Baton Rouge to spend one night of our vacation. The hotel was off the beaten path. We thought for sure the GPS was giving us incorrect information, but the hotel really is down a road that starts out residential and ends up by the hospital.

Before we even arrived in Louisiana, I received an e-mail from the hotel manager stating that if there was anything we needed before our arrival to please let him know via e-mail or phone. In all of my travels I have never received an e-mail from management before my arrival and I thought that was a nice touch. We used Marriott Rewards points for this stay, so we didn't pay anything.

Upon check-in the front desk staff was very cordial. There are two buildings and our room was in the building opposite the front desk. Our room was on the third floor and we took the elevator on the way up wit our luggage. It was SO slow. We took the stairs the rest of the time so that we didn't have to wait for the elevator.

The room was spacious and inviting. The full kitchen was nice even though we didn't use it to its fullest. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom adequate. The hotel wifi worked fine in the room.

We wanted to see a movie the night we were there, and there is a huge movie theater located in the mall which is only a 5-minute drive.

We went down to the lobby for breakfast and there was a decent selection for such a small space. I had oatmeal with raisins, brown sugar and nuts. I actually used the microwave in the room to heat it up a little more. There was fruit, cereal, muffins, juice, milk and yogurt as well. There were no utensils, but there really wasn't any room to eat in the lobby anyway, so we took our food back to our room and used the in-room utensils.

Upon checkout, we noted that the sodas in the soda machine were less expensive than the same sodas sold in the lobby refrigerator. The front desk clerk told us it was because the machines were priced by a vendor and the lobby snacks and drinks were priced by Marriott. KInd of odd, but he gave my husband a complimentary soda. We used the lobby computer and printer to print out some New Orleans documents before we left, which was convenient.

If I was in the Baton Rouge area in the future, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple