“Worth the Parking Ticket! ”
Review of Joe Ley Antiques

Joe Ley Antiques
Ranked #53 of 160 things to do in Louisville
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

My daughter and I came upon this "antique museum" haphazardly. We put 30 minutes in the parking meter, and stayed about 90 minutes, only because of time constraints. We had so much fun!! It is so well organized, stuffed full of treasures, we virtually felt like we were in a museum. We laughed and laughed, oohed and aahed. If you are tired of the usual boutiques and gift shops, come to Joe Lay Antiques!!

Date of experience: April 2018
in 4 reviews
"merchandise"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Joe Ley is a fun place to spend some time whether you're looking for something in particular or nothing at all. From kitchy carnival relics to architectural salvage, you can probably find it here.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 4 February 2018

I'll start by mentioning how amazing the building was. It was originally a "normal school" from the 1890s that was used to train teachers.

As soon as we walked through the door we knew this was going to be quite the experience and it turn out to be even more than I expected. It started out with the strange pricing system (you are handed a piece of paper with letters and numbers on it) but that just added to the fun in my opinion.

I couldn't wait to turn the corner to see what I would see. Just when you thought you could't see anything more strange you would come across some more amazing, bizarre, and offbeat.

Some of the areas were dark, some were dusty, some were on the cluttered side, and the floors in some areas and a slope to them but that's exactly what I would expect in a place like this.

We were there in November and it was on the cold side inside the building and I would expect if you go in the summer it would be hot inside but that's what I would expect. I can't imagine trying to heat or cool a huge place like this.

The owner of the place was such fun to talk to and I think we probably talked at least one of his ears off asking so many questions about the place and where he found his merchandise but I felt he really loved talking about his place. My husband walked out with several wooden shafted golf clubs. I thought the prices were very reasonable for what you were getting (where else are you going to find some of this stuff). If we are ever in the area again this will be the first place we visit. I just wish I could rate it higher than excellent.

Date of experience: November 2017
3  Thank cheryl h
Reviewed 14 December 2017

This place is crazy! Every inch is filled with cool and wonderful things. Many floors, outside and filled to the ceilings. Make sure you have plenty of time and good walking shoes. Prices are maybe a little high but not too bad. I wish the guy at the front desk was as nice as everyone else I met in the shop, I didn't have a great feeling when I first entered because he seemed bothered to be there but after that they were super friendly and helpful. I plan on going back and spending more.

Date of experience: November 2017
See more reviews
Reviewed 20 July 2017

The word which came to mind over and over again as I explored each room was "amazing". It is like being in a museum as well as an antique store. For starters, the building itself is beautiful and interesting. The volume of his inventory is unbelievable. I know all other antique experiences will pale in comparison after visiting this store. Joe and his employees are very friendly and helpful. I do recommend you visit in cooler weather. Only the first floor is air conditioned. There are three floors, the basement, and the warehouse. Had it not been a hot July morning, we would have stayed longer, and we stayed three hours! For those who love antiques, history, or just seeing unusual items, this place is a must.

Date of experience: July 2017