“WAY too pricey for this hotel and the area”

Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center
Ranked #60 of 98 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed 31 October 2011

In town for the EXPO and booked this hotel because suppliers from another country had already booked it. Roms at most area hotels were going for $125 - $160 and this hotel was charging $250 per night. I thought it must be a pretty special Holiday Inn to get that money. Well, it wasn't very special and it was worth about half.

The staff there is very pleasant and friendly. I asked about free breakfast coupons which I usually get as a priority member and was given three for my stay even though it is supposed to be for Platinum members. Very nice. However, I booked a king room four months before check in and was told that one wasn't available. I couldn't remember if I had specified a King when I made the reservation so I didn't make a big deal about it but since I had a lot of work to do, the tiny table in the 2 queen room made things tough.

The restaurant there is weak, once again considering what they are charging for rooms. There is a good selection on the buffet but you have to order drinks from the bar and service in the morning was sketchy. Had dinner there one night and it while it wasn't bad, the fairly simple pasta dish was just flat.

The fitness center was OK, but one of the treadmills was broken so it put a cramp on two days worth of work outs as someone was already on the other.

My bottom line here is that if this hotel wants to play in the big leagues at $250 a nght, then it needs to step up the quality of the ammenities and performance. One last note on the price, I was speaking with a staffer mid-stay and I mentioned that I was surprised at the cost per night and was told that they put it up for the show since it is always crowded. Nice policy. Next year I will handle the bookings for my suppliers and it will NOT be at this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
HolidayInnSDF, General Manager at Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

I am very sorry to hear about your stay at our property. I'm a little bit confused on how you obtained a $250.00 rate, since our rates were at $149.00-$169.00. I am assuming that you booked so far in advance that the rates had been set at the default rates because the booking window for special events is only 6 months. The rates are set at $250.00 before that time period to protect our inventory. I would be happy to discuss this further with you via telephone to go over your other concerns in detail. FYI the treadmill has been fixed. It was damaged during a Fraternity Party we had the week before. The hotel's phone number is 502-637-4500. Just ask for the General Manager and I will get back with you ASAP. I also want to personally thank you for your input and the time you spent in creating this response. My number one goal is to make the Holiday Inn Louisville Airport Fair/Expo the best hotel in the Louisville area, to provide quality service, and value to everyone's stay.

Best Regards,

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We *loved* the staff. They were great. Fantastic. Very pleasant. The hotel was nice, off the beaten path by hundreds of yards. There were restaurants in the immediate area.

The room was nice (with the exception of mildew in the shower curtains) and even quiet, which we were surprised about, being so close to the airport.

We went to a wedding at a winery and when we got back to the hotel, we shimmied up to the bar for a good (Kentucky Ale, ice cold!) beer and sandwiches. We loved that. We weren't that excited about the breakfast brunch option that morning. Some of the hot foods weren't. I ended up eating a yogurt and a cup of skim milk, setting the "hot" things aside - we regretted not ordering from the menu instead.

We left feeling like we enjoyed ourselves, until we got home and realized we may have left something behind. So I placed a call about it and was asked to call the next day. I did and left a message. No one returned my call. I sent them email; that too was not returned. I ended up having to order a replacement in the absence of communication. Because of this, it makes it hard to give value to service. The staff that took care of us were excellent. The followup service after we left was unimpressive.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
HolidayInnSDF, General Manager at Holiday Inn Airport & Fair/Expo Center, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

In speaking with you through emails, I hope we resolved your concern with your computer cord. We run a very tight ship when it comes to lost and found. You would be amazed at what people leave in hotel rooms. Even though we did not find your cord, I wanted to make sure that we did as much as we could for you to resolve your inconvenience. I personally have lost a computer cord and it's no fun when that computer starts to notify you with a low battery. Please do not hesitate to call me at the property if I can provide you with any other services.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

Wasn';t the easiest place to find but once I got there they treated me great letting me checkin many hours beofre I was alowed;,

Room Tip: corner room two windows
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It was a pleasure having you here with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Stayed here by accident. I was booked at a Hilton brand (which i am a fan of) bu they oversold their rooms and had to relocate my stay to the Holiday Inn across the street. Beautiful hotel, awesome service and wonderful restaurant. This Holiday Inn was new and was very upscale. Had I not been reloated by the other hotel I might not ever found out about this hotel...I WILL ALAWAYS STAY HERE WHEN IN LOUISVILLE!!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank INOAGOODHOTELWHENIC1

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We bid on a 3 star hotel from Pricline and should have taken the advice that our better deal was a 2-1/2 star. The room was very nice and comfortable, but at over $100, we could have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express and gotten breakfast. There was nothing very special about the hotel common areas or the room. The location was fine for our purposes, but I was a bit dissapointed. Of course with Priceline we were hoping for much more bang for our buck.

Room Tip: Look carefully at the options before submitting/
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate you choosing the Holiday Inn Fair/Expo Center. We work very hard on making our property the best value in Louisville with a concentration on service and amenities. I truly appreciate you taking the time to recommend us and comment on our facility and staff. If and when you are back in Louisville please do not hesitate to introduce yourself to me at the property. In reading your comments I did see where you were concerned with the lack of free breakfast at the Holiday Inn. Holiday Inn's are a full service property. The Holiday Inn Express is the property that has a free continental breakfast. A solution to when you stay at a Holiday Inn is to sign up for the Priority Club Rewards program if you are not a member. After a few stays you will start to recieve benefits such as complimentary breakfast and other types of coupons. Please remember that Kids 12 and under always eat free. We also offer a package rate with breakfast included.